cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thoughts on the new "Party Sofa"

taybrynn
Explorer
Explorer
I'm curious what people think of the Party Sofa vs. the traditional sofa and typical dinette or sofa + table&chairs ?

I'm wondering if the party sofa in a fifth wheel, with a family of 4 (my wife and I + 2 teen daughters) would make more sense than the traditional layout or not.

We currently have a single wide slide with the sofa and dinette in it.

We are interested in getting a 5th wheel and the 376BHOK only has the party sofa in it. It looks nice, but wondering how people like it?

Thanks!
42 REPLIES 42

a64armt
Explorer
Explorer
Leroy2u wrote:
It's mostly in toy haulers, so expect most in this forum won't have any experience with this arrangement. If you have kids it's great, I wouldn't recommend it though if you don't.

I like mine though its not a lazy boy... 😉

These seem to be very common in toy hauler's and a few bunk house RV's. I am sure the limited space and perceived dual functionality is the justification. At the last RV show we sat in a few and they are not as comfortable as a true couch or recliners. Some are better than others and a few are down right painful. I am a larger guy (6'1", 270 lbs) and it was difficult sliding around the bench to a comfortable spot on some units. If the person in the middle of the table wants to get up, everyone from one side will have to get up. Additionally, the tables are not as stable as a wall mounted table (from what I have seen) as stated above.

We would not consider one. I understand the design concept and it has its merits, but it is not for us. We prefer a traditional couch, recliner and free standing dining table. However, in most RV's that the U-shaped dinette is offered, the free standing alternatives are not possible. If you find you spend more time outside the RV, and use the living area only when weather turns sour, it might work just fine. However, if you are looking for an inviting living area for the family to gather, you might find it lacking, just my opinion of course.

If you want better feedback, I would check with toy hauler owners, you are more likely to find owners with more experience with this particular option.

OJ
Vincent
Orlando, FL
2008 Ford F250 CC KR 6.4 Diesel - Air Lift 5000 Ultimate w/wireless air, Bilstein 4600 HD’s, Hellwig BigWig Sway bars, Pullrite Super Rails, Hensley BD3
2014 Lifestyle RV LS36FW

ut_pupcamper
Explorer
Explorer
My own opinion but I really find it rather hideous.
Don & Alice

Camping in and around Utah
2013 Rockwood 8286WS Diamond Package 5th Wheel
2003 Ford F350 Lariat Super duty Crew Cab
6 kids 3 grand kids a dog a cat and Titan the killer Chiweenie 🙂

Camping in 2013: 15
Camping in 2012: 19

retired-tech
Explorer
Explorer
we got one and everyone loves it. it made much more sense for us than the small couch and both that are both uncomfortable. we usually have at least 3 people and 2 dogs, sometimes up to 7 adults and 5 kids.
2014 North Country teardrop in wood
2009 Cougar 320 SRX

Leroy2u
Explorer
Explorer
It's mostly in toy haulers, so expect most in this forum won't have any experience with this arrangement. If you have kids it's great, I wouldn't recommend it though if you don't.

I like mine though its not a lazy boy... 😉
2012 Silverado 3500 DRW
2013 XLR 395 AMP

Vulcaneer
Explorer
Explorer
ependydad wrote:
frankwp wrote:
But whats with these people angrily proclaiming how useless & stupid it is? Just a matter of personal choice.

People are angry... I was surprised by the same as I read the thread.

The OP asked for opinions, and thoughts. My opinion is it's not stupid and useless. It's ridiculous and terrible. Anybody that has never used one, can say it's personal choice. I'll bet the OP knew that before he started the thread. But if you ask my opinion/thoughts, I am going to give it. I don't want to see someone spend a lot of their money, without considering the actual living comfort, as I have experienced. If they do not like the opinion, they can feel free to ignore it. But that will not change my opinion.
'12 F350 SB, CC, SRW, 6.7 PSD, 3.55 RAR, 6 spd auto
2015 DRV 38RSS 'Traditions'
Pullrite Super Glide 18K

Retirement = It's all poops and giggles....UNTIL someone Giggles and Poops.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Would never want one. Someone will inevitably need to get up to let someone in or out. Doesn't look all that comfortable for watching a 2 hr movie. Looks like someone will have sore knees from getting in and out. It's one more example of goofball stuff in the RV industry.

Now if each cushion had a recliner built in then that would be cool.

AZ_T_T
Explorer
Explorer
We play a lot of cards at the table. For those of you with the party sofa, do you just bring in folding chairs so people can sit across form each other?
AZ T&T
2012 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 29.5RKS
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 4x4 Duramax
B&W Companion Hitch - Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
Honda EU2000i Generator

CANAMKID
Explorer
Explorer
I see a lot of them in TH. I guess if I had kids it would be practical,but then
again I like to look out the windows to. So its a no for me.
CanAmKid

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
frankwp wrote:
But whats with these people angrily proclaiming how useless & stupid it is? Just a matter of personal choice.

People are angry... I was surprised by the same as I read the thread.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

taybrynn
Explorer
Explorer
THanks -- thats what I'm trying to figure out -- who likes it and who doesn't -- and why. Thanks either way.

frankwp
Explorer
Explorer
We have one (Crossroad's Lifestyle Lounge) and really like it. The 2 tables have a space between them so access to the sofa is good. The tables area as stable as any dinette table. I will say that the seat cushions were pretty horrible so we had new ones made & now it's quite comfortable. We have lots of family along & the extra seating & dining capacity is really nice.

2010 Cruiser CF30QB
2003 GM 2500HD, crew cab, SB, 8.1, Allison

taybrynn
Explorer
Explorer

Thanks for all the comments so far.

(1) I agree it could be a practical thing for family and in a bunkhouse arrangement.

(2) I've also noticed that these tables never seem to be very stable -- not sure if they are installed correctly or thats just the way they are.

(3) Also wondered if getting in and out would be easy or practical.

(4) I've also got a history of lower back problems, so my ability to deal with an uncomfortable sofa is limited. That said I have nice leather sofa at home thats real nice for sitting in.

taybrynn
Explorer
Explorer
I was mainly just surprised you had to go with that couch vs. a more traditional setup -- esp. since this model has spectacular windows on the wide slide. Its kind of killer for me, since I have sat in a party couch (mostly in toy haulers) which I found comfortable.

rhingst
Explorer
Explorer
That thing is butt ugly or fugly whichever you choose, totally stupid design in an RV.
2008 Ford F350 Lariat Crew Cab Powerstroke SRW
2007 Hitchhiker Discover America 339RSB

aarond76
Explorer
Explorer
I like the idea in a bunk house camper. After all only two people fit on the sofa and we've got (4) people in the camper. The one in the picture looks like an actual sofa with a real back, maybe those are okay. The ones in the Open Ranges only have pillows, seems like that would not be very comfortable.