cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Three Months Later

rambotheshark
Explorer
Explorer
Three months later my 5th wheel is finally going into the shop after the accident. This has been a long and annoying process with possibly more aggravation ahead.

Originally I was dealing with her insurance company since the accident was 100% her fault. Her insurance paid for my truck and rental car pretty much no problem, but I hit a wall with the RV.

For months I kept telling them the RV needs to be inspected for frame damage and the like. They sent out an appraiser who knew nothing about 5th wheels. He wrote up his report saying I need a new gooseneck adapter. Which was my first clue he knew nothing since the rig does not have a goose neck, just your standard pin box.

The woodwork that fell in the bathroom - well just glue that back up for 10 bucks.

As far as the floor damage and being able to feel every seem in it, well, that was completely ignored.

I spent about a month after that appraisal, not inspection fighting them telling them send someone out that knows what they are talking about and got nowhere.

Eventually, I got my own darn inspection and filed with my insurance company where we appear to be making progress. Int hat inspection we did find the metal crossbeams, at least the two you can see in the generator compartment are bent.

I still am clueless what may happen. Right now they tell me it may possibly be totaled or it may be gone for 5 to 6 months in repair. That call hopefully gets made next week sometime when they start tearing it apart.

To top it all off I am a full timer so I also need to find a place to live while it is in the shop and can't do that until I have a vague idea how long it may be gone.

In any case this accident has been a real pain in the rear as it drags on and on and on.
12 REPLIES 12

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you're not a FL resident and drive through FL, make darn sure your under-insured, uninsured motorist liability coverage is up to snuff. Also check your collision coverage.

The FL no-fault system works fine as long as a FL resident has an accident with another FL resident.

Pretty scary. I discovered all this the hard way. I thank my lucky stars my coverage was up to snuff.

LadyRVer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Does a local TV channel have ask a lawyer day? I called in on a problem and got great advice.

Also, IIRC, FL is a no fault state. I was in an accident about 10 years ago, not my fault, but damage to my toad/daily driver. My insurance took over and went after the person at fault insurance. I had no out of pocket expenses.

5 to 6 months is one long time for a repair when you are a fulltimer. Good to be nice, gets you further, but there comes a point when enough is enough. Good luck.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just because an accident is not your fault, you should still contact your insurance company. They can be a great help in getting issues resolved quickly.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Tyler0215 wrote:
It doesn't matter what your insurance covers, it's her insurance thats paying the bills. Your insurance Co. will be your advocate to assure you get reimbursed for damages and expenses. Personally talk to an agent of your insurance co and explain whats going on. They should handle everything. No need for the expense of an lawyer yet.

But it sounds like they =aren't= acting as his advocate, and that's the problem. His insurance company =should= be the 400 lb gorilla going after what he's owed.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
rambotheshark wrote:
My insurance company has been good so far since I went that route. I can't complain there.

As far as housing goes, her insurance company already promised me $60 a day in housing expenses, but now that I am going through my insurance its possible that money becomes hard to get since my policy does not cover housing. I will have to borrow money from family just to afford a temporary place to live here since housing/rental prices are out of control and hope her insurance company reimburses us later like they said they would.

Anyway, thanks for the well wishes.

B.S.! They should be paying you, UP FRONT, for the living expenses. I agree; it's time for legal advice. As I said in my previous post, your insurance company is working just as hard as hers to NOT pay you. Maybe it's time to go bulldog on both of them.

FWIW, IMO a 5-6 month repair time is ludicrous; that rig should be totaled.

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
rambotheshark wrote:
Three months later my 5th wheel is finally going into the shop after the accident. This has been a long and annoying process with possibly more aggravation ahead.

Originally I was dealing with her insurance company since the accident was 100% her fault. Her insurance paid for my truck and rental car pretty much no problem, but I hit a wall with the RV.

For months I kept telling them the RV needs to be inspected for frame damage and the like. They sent out an appraiser who knew nothing about 5th wheels. He wrote up his report saying I need a new gooseneck adapter. Which was my first clue he knew nothing since the rig does not have a goose neck, just your standard pin box.

The woodwork that fell in the bathroom - well just glue that back up for 10 bucks.

As far as the floor damage and being able to feel every seem in it, well, that was completely ignored.

I spent about a month after that appraisal, not inspection fighting them telling them send someone out that knows what they are talking about and got nowhere.

Eventually, I got my own darn inspection and filed with my insurance company where we appear to be making progress. Int hat inspection we did find the metal crossbeams, at least the two you can see in the generator compartment are bent.

I still am clueless what may happen. Right now they tell me it may possibly be totaled or it may be gone for 5 to 6 months in repair. That call hopefully gets made next week sometime when they start tearing it apart.

To top it all off I am a full timer so I also need to find a place to live while it is in the shop and can't do that until I have a vague idea how long it may be gone.

In any case this accident has been a real pain in the rear as it drags on and on and on.

Glad you got your own insurance involved. I'd get them even =more= involved by threatening legal action against the woman who caused the accident =and= my own insurance company if they didn't get off the stick and do something. You =paid= your insurance bill, make them do the work to earn it. Never forget that they're working just as hard to NOT have to pay you as the other side is.

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
It doesn't matter what your insurance covers, it's her insurance thats paying the bills. Your insurance Co. will be your advocate to assure you get reimbursed for damages and expenses. Personally talk to an agent of your insurance co and explain whats going on. They should handle everything. No need for the expense of an lawyer yet.

rambotheshark
Explorer
Explorer
My insurance company has been good so far since I went that route. I can't complain there.

As far as housing goes, her insurance company already promised me $60 a day in housing expenses, but now that I am going through my insurance its possible that money becomes hard to get since my policy does not cover housing. I will have to borrow money from family just to afford a temporary place to live here since housing/rental prices are out of control and hope her insurance company reimburses us later like they said they would.

Anyway, thanks for the well wishes.

2_many_2
Explorer III
Explorer III
I really hate to say it. But it sounds like it is time to at least consult an attorney. Not something anyone wants to do, but consider how the insurance company is treating you. This is a business deal for them, it is time for you to look at it the same way.

A lawyer can or should be your business representative and advocate.

It certainly sounds like you could use some help. Especially getting reimbursed for living expenses.

Please give us an update once in awhile.

Best of luck

Byrogie
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry for your troubles, and good luck going forward.
Always best to contact your insurance company even if no fault. The good ones will be a big help.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Best of luck Rambo. I hope it all works out for you with no more hassles, other than finding temporary living quarters.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Cloughfam
Explorer
Explorer
That sounds completely miserable. Good luck on whatever is next.
2011 Jayco JayFlight 25BHS
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 4X2 HEMI
Me, the wife, 2 sons...