cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

tire and wheel temperatures

mbrower
Explorer
Explorer
I just returned from Myrtle beach and had something strange happen on the way back. I normally travel at night when the temperatures and traffic are lighter but this trip, I left in the afternoon. The door side tire temperature was running about 10 degrees hotter that the curb side tires, which is normal and I always thought it was due to the crown of the road placing more weight on those two tires. Never concerned me.

This trip I was in a lot of traffic with a lot of red lights and stop and go driving. Tires on the door side was about 20 degrees hotter than the curb side and then the front door side tire started rising significantly, 40 degrees within about 20 minutes of driving. We were about to get on the interstate so I decided to stop for fuel and grab a quick bite.

The front door side wheel was extremely hot and much hotter than the other wheels when comparing by feel.

everything was pointing to a dragging brake or wheel bearing. I decided to let everything cool off and jack the wheel up to make some quick checks. To my surprise, everything checked out fine.

I decided to continue and if temperature rises again to pull over and do a much thorough inspection. The rest of the trip home the front tire never got more than 2 degrees different than the rear tire. about 5 hours of traveling.

The only thing I can think of, is the exhaust from the truck was hotter than normal from the traffic and was blowing back on the tire and wheel making it hot.

just wondering what some of your thoughts are?
2001 Chevy 3500 Big Dooley 8.1L (496 Cubes)Allison 5sp 4:10
2008 KZ Montego Bay 37RLB-4
20 REPLIES 20

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
ken burke wrote:
lyle
I thought about that years ago, when first learning about tire temps. I thought it would be cool to have a NACA duct in front of the wheel well to suck air in to help cool the tires/hubs. Then the juices got flowing while watching a short-track NASCAR race, where the cars were spraying water into the brake cooling ducts. Why not do something similar with my FW's tires? Every 15 minutes, or so, have a mister turn on and spray directly onto the tires for about a minute. Just plumb into the fresh water tank. Yeah, your wheels would probably look pretty cr@ppy after a while with salts, but you must might save a child, er, TIRE! ๐Ÿ™‚

Lyle
Lyle . . . . good idea You may not want an auto system to spray tires, but a manual one. I would use it when the exhaust was in reguneration.
I am going to try to reposition my trucks exhaust away from the trailer tire.

Hell, put a temp sensor in the wheel well and, when it trips, have the sprayer turn on. ๐Ÿ™‚

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
Over the years of shooting tires with an infrared heat gun I have found that with good trailer tires, think Ribs and R250's, that the rear axle runs a little warmer than the front axle. I racked it up to the front ones in clear air and the rear ones hidden behind the fronts.

Ah, I've noticed this with my current trailer and was wondering why this was. I think you're correct, thanks! :B
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

ken_burke
Explorer
Explorer
lyle I thought about that years ago, when first learning about tire temps. I thought it would be cool to have a NACA duct in front of the wheel well to suck air in to help cool the tires/hubs. Then the juices got flowing while watching a short-track NASCAR race, where the cars were spraying water into the brake cooling ducts. Why not do something similar with my FW's tires? Every 15 minutes, or so, have a mister turn on and spray directly onto the tires for about a minute. Just plumb into the fresh water tank. Yeah, your wheels would probably look pretty cr@ppy after a while with salts, but you must might save a child, er, TIRE! ๐Ÿ™‚

Lyle
Lyle . . . . good idea You may not want an auto system to spray tires, but a manual one. I would use it when the exhaust was in reguneration.
I am going to try to reposition my trucks exhaust away from the trailer tire.
2011 Ford F-350 6.7 diesel, Crew Cab, LB, SRW, 4X4, White
Cedar Creek 34SB, 37 feet 5th wheel, Reese 20K Hitch
"So many questions, so little time."

ken_burke
Explorer
Explorer
larry barnhart wrote:
Cummins12v98 With all of the products we all have for rving how can a waste of money not be included in most of the fun thing's we all buy. I am guilty but just like stuff. I do like our TST for our small home.

chevman

I agree. I have a tire pressure/temp monitor on my 5th wheel tires. I would not leave home without it. I have had my share of tire blowouts. I now have good GY640 or whatever they are called. Our trailer is really heavy (about 15,000#s). The rear tire behind the exhaust gets really hot.

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
My curb side tires always run about 10 degrees warmer than street side. Sounds like to me your front brake may have been dragging some...too far from truck exhaust to have a problem there.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12v98 With all of the products we all have for rving how can a waste of money not be included in most of the fun thing's we all buy. I am guilty but just like stuff. I do like our TST for our small home.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Run good QUALITY tires and don't fret it! I don't waste my time or money on monitors on my GY "H" tires as the ONLY problem I have ever read about was the loss of the center section of tread and the tires did not loose pressure. I am running mine at near capacity.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
ken burke wrote:
Dayle1 wrote:
More likely the exhaust in spite of other comments. I have internal sensors on my trailer so they are insensitive to sun and wind effects. And in spite of the distance the ones behind the exhaust are always hotter with the front trailer tire hotter than the rear. But it also depends on which side your exhaust is at, mine is curb side, or with dual exhaust depends on wind direction. When I searched this issue I found one owner that had melted plastic trim at the lower corner of the fiver when towing during a regen cycle. I don't think a 10 degree diff really matters, worst case maybe rotate tires side to side.

Wow. That explanes a lot. Thanks!! My right front trailer tire is always hotter than the other tires. The pressure is also higher. I never thought about the hot exhaust (from ford diesel) as being the problem. I am now sure that it is true. If I had a brain in my head I would have figured it out! When you stand aft of the exhaust it is really hot. During the regen process the exhaust gases get up to 1200 deg F. Once I had a left front trailer blow out.
There must be some way to cool the tire. Put in a vent scoop?
At least it is another thing to think about.
ken

I thought about that years ago, when first learning about tire temps. I thought it would be cool to have a NACA duct in front of the wheel well to suck air in to help cool the tires/hubs. Then the juices got flowing while watching a short-track NASCAR race, where the cars were spraying water into the brake cooling ducts. Why not do something similar with my FW's tires? Every 15 minutes, or so, have a mister turn on and spray directly onto the tires for about a minute. Just plumb into the fresh water tank. Yeah, your wheels would probably look pretty cr@ppy after a while with salts, but you must might save a child, er, TIRE! ๐Ÿ™‚

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
My exhaust exits out the side on the right. It is abt 20' to the first trailer tire. No way is that heat getting to the tire. No diesel soot on the trailer anywhere....The difference in tire temp that I see is caused by the position of the sun and it's only 2-3 degrees
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Over the years of shooting tires with an infrared heat gun I have found that with good trailer tires, think Ribs and R250's, that the rear axle runs a little warmer than the front axle. I racked it up to the front ones in clear air and the rear ones hidden behind the fronts.

Phoenix to Palm Springs with strong wind out of the South had the shaded tires running hotter than the ones in the sun, because of the extra load the wind created.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

ken_burke
Explorer
Explorer
Dayle1 wrote:
More likely the exhaust in spite of other comments. I have internal sensors on my trailer so they are insensitive to sun and wind effects. And in spite of the distance the ones behind the exhaust are always hotter with the front trailer tire hotter than the rear. But it also depends on which side your exhaust is at, mine is curb side, or with dual exhaust depends on wind direction. When I searched this issue I found one owner that had melted plastic trim at the lower corner of the fiver when towing during a regen cycle. I don't think a 10 degree diff really matters, worst case maybe rotate tires side to side.

Wow. That explanes a lot. Thanks!! My right front trailer tire is always hotter than the other tires. The pressure is also higher. I never thought about the hot exhaust (from ford diesel) as being the problem. I am now sure that it is true. If I had a brain in my head I would have figured it out! When you stand aft of the exhaust it is really hot. During the regen process the exhaust gases get up to 1200 deg F. Once I had a left front trailer blow out.
There must be some way to cool the tire. Put in a vent scoop?
At least it is another thing to think about.
ken

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I find my inside dual's hotter than the outside ones.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Dragging/incorrectly adjusted brake shoe/pad with that wheel with all the extra braking events.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

mbrower
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"The door side tire temperature was running about 10 degrees hotter that the curb side"

I thought the door side and curb side were one in the same???

I think you're right LOL! I wrote that early this morning.

My exhaust blows straight out the back and it has melted my sewer hose 5X5 storage box (fence post). When I replaced it, I installed a deflector on it to try and route some of the exhaust around it but its starting to melt again. I know the exhaust is very hot while towing. I think I'm going to have an exhaust shop modify the outlet so it blows more out the side.
2001 Chevy 3500 Big Dooley 8.1L (496 Cubes)Allison 5sp 4:10
2008 KZ Montego Bay 37RLB-4