cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tire life

b_pilot
Explorer
Explorer
I have a fifth wheel with Goodyear G614 G rated tires. They still have very good tread and still look good but they were made in the 19th week of 2014. I read that you can go between 6 to ten years. I know there will be many different opinions on this but I would like to hear some. Thanks.
32 REPLIES 32

Splashers3
Explorer
Explorer
I got 9 years out of my XPS Ribs....until 1 blew out sitting in my driveway....no damage. I kept them covered, inflated a few PSI higher over the winter months, and applied 303 protectant quite often.
2017 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali, C/C, D/A, DRW, w/40gal Aux tank, 18K B&W Patriot.
2019 Cedar Creek Hathaway, 34RL2 - w/Bells & Whistles and disc brakes
Traded 2009 Cedar Creek Silverback, GII, 32 WRL

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
I just replaced mine at 5 years after watching a buddy have two blowouts on his 6 year old rubber. I suppose if they were Michelins maybe I'd go longer but the offshore **** they put on new trailers is just that. I rest a lot easier with a step up in load range, higher speed rating and new rubber. Well worth the $400 IMO.

Endricken
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going to try to get 8 years out of my last almost 7 year old Michelin XPS Rib. (Michelin states replace after 10 years regardless of mileage) I lost one with a Wheel (!), and one to a Nail.
I'll let you know if this summer's travels prove me wrong....
Retired USAF
Silver 05 Dodge RAM LB CTD Dually 4Speed Auto SWD 3.73, Westin Sportsman Grill & Taillight Guards,Husky Mudguards, Retractable Ball Hitch, Onboard Air & Horns, MaxBrake - towing 2005 Keystone Montana Big Sky 3670 with Star Performance adapter

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Michelle.S wrote:
I was running the GY 17.5" G114s and was hoping for 5 years, but one let loose at 4 1/2 years. Always run at correct pressure with the TST 507 TPMS and every thing was normal till BANG and rubber flying every where. Now running Sailun tires.

Good choice on the Sailuns . I’ll run mine for six years .

Diamond_c
Nomad
Nomad
From what I’ve seen over the years is that trailer tires dry rot way before they where out.

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
A full set of tires is far cheaper than the damage one that blows out at speed can do.

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
The tires on trailers/5th wheels do not wear the same as automotive tires. It is very possible that the tire can look practically new after many years use, but it is recommended that they be replaced every 6-7 yrs. or could be subject to failure.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
b_pilot wrote:
I have a fifth wheel with Goodyear G614 G rated tires. They still have very good tread and still look good but they were made in the 19th week of 2014. I read that you can go between 6 to ten years. I know there will be many different opinions on this but I would like to hear some. Thanks.
I agree with 6 to 10 on those tires. Then it is just probability if it should fail. Not that 6 years is zero probability and 11th year is 100% failure. Could last 20+ years for all we know. I bought a used car once with two of the the original 30 year old tires and still drove it 6 months before replacement.

If you have TPMS I would be more inclined to stretch it a bit. Likewise any day even with new tires you can pick up something and lose pressure. And then I have lost the whole steel cap with no loss of pressure.

The damage to your RV can be significant as the tire comes apart.

Your call. Just be happy they all look great as that is the primary indicator that your alignment is good.

BTW typical ST tires are probably half the life at 3 to 5 years.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Don’t know about Goodyear. Here is what Michelin says;

“A few milestones and tips:

Keep five years in mind

After five years or more in use, your tires should be thoroughly inspected at least once per year by a professional.

Ten years is a maximum

If the tires haven't been replaced 10 years after their date of manufacture, as a precaution, Michelin recommends replacing them with new tires. Even if they appear to be in usable condition and have not worn down to the tread wear indicator. This applies to spare tires as well.”

https://www.michelinman.com/howLongTireLast.html

I replaced mine at 9 years and still looked virtually new.

pcm1959
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced my 17.5 GY G114's last May that were produced late 2014 strictly due to age. They had about 22k miles on them and looked like new. I just didn't want to chance it based on the "age-out" theories.
2018 GMC Sierra 3500 DRW 4x4 Duramax/Allison
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
St Augustine, FL

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was running the GY 17.5" G114s and was hoping for 5 years, but one let loose at 4 1/2 years. Always run at correct pressure with the TST 507 TPMS and every thing was normal till BANG and rubber flying every where. Now running Sailun tires.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
b_pilot wrote:

A lot depends on how much of a risktaker you are and if you have a good Roadside Emergency Service. Another variable is what kind of RV trips you take and how often. Long trips .ie 1K to 5K 2 or more times a year. Short trips 500 miles or less. Are you ok dealing with possible damages to your RV from a blowout? As they say, "roll the dice and take your chances" I used the G614 Good Year tires for years and used to get new tires about every 5 to 6 yrs.

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
6 years MAX

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you’ve kept them clean, proper pressure, used the unit fairly frequently they may good for a while longer. If it’s used once or twice every now and then and sitting for long periods of time, get them professionally inspected. The the worst thing you can do to any RV/Tire is to let it just sit.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
MFL wrote:
Just like all tires not being equal, so is the care that the tires receive. If a quality tire, such as yours, is well cared for a 6-10 yr life IMO is accurate. With fair amount of care 6 years, and excellent care closer to 10 yrs. Tire life can vary due to inflation practices, storage surfaces when not in use, parked in sun, parked/standing long term, hitting curbs and potholes, overloading, or too high of speed.

You know more how they have been treated, than anyone here. If you feel they've had excellent care, I'd trust them another year or two.

Jerry

I agree. Check the valve stems for cracking to. I overlooked quite often.