cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tire rotation.

grizz272
Explorer
Explorer
I have always rotated the tires on our previous campers. I have also had the tires balanced. Is this something I need to continue with the new fifth-wheel?
19 REPLIES 19

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
grizz272 wrote:
I have always rotated the tires on our previous campers. I have also had the tires balanced. Is this something I need to continue with the new fifth-wheel?

Most trailer tires show very little wear, even high-milers, unless there's an issue with the axles or suspension. The only reason I can think of for rotating tires would be if you've scaled each wheel and you know you have a heavy side or a particularly heavy corner. As for balancing, =that= will cause severe tire wear if you've got an out of balance tire. I've seen a couple FWs going down the road where one wheel was bouncing badly enough to see daylight between the tire and the road. IMO, =anything= that rotates that fast needs balancing.

Lyle

There are other more likely reasons a tire would bounce like that than a balancing issue.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
How do Magic Balancing Beads work? Magic of course. Be aware also that any moisture in the tire can cause the beads to clump. Weights are the sensible way to go.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Turn_Key
Explorer
Explorer
grizz272 wrote:
Balancing beads? Never heard of them. What are they, and how do they work?

Here you go;

Tire Balancing Beads

Have heard them but never used them. Idea makes sense but I have just always used the weights.

Happy CCamping!
Turn Key and DW
Bentley, One Very Pushy Chiweenie
Sunshine, One Crazy Pug (I Guess They All Are!)
'03 Chevy 2500HD, 4X4, X-Cab, Long-Bed
'14 Winnebago 26FWRKS ("Sunday Haus III")
Twin Kayaks, "The Ride" by Wilderness Systems

Turn_Key
Explorer
Explorer
Balance; yes. Rotate; no.
Turn Key and DW
Bentley, One Very Pushy Chiweenie
Sunshine, One Crazy Pug (I Guess They All Are!)
'03 Chevy 2500HD, 4X4, X-Cab, Long-Bed
'14 Winnebago 26FWRKS ("Sunday Haus III")
Twin Kayaks, "The Ride" by Wilderness Systems

grizz272
Explorer
Explorer
Balancing beads? Never heard of them. What are they, and how do they work?

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
Balancing beads in the tire will help compensate for the unbalanced hub assembly. And you wonโ€™t need to degree the rim to the hub each time you remove for inspection /maintenance.
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

grizz272
Explorer
Explorer
I will balance the new trailer tires. I will rethink the tire rotation though.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
grizz272 wrote:

Most trailer tires show very little wear, even high-milers, unless there's an issue with the axles or suspension. The only reason I can think of for rotating tires would be if you've scaled each wheel and you know you have a heavy side or a particularly heavy corner. As for balancing, =that= will cause severe tire wear if you've got an out of balance tire. I've seen a couple FWs going down the road where one wheel was bouncing badly enough to see daylight between the tire and the road. IMO, =anything= that rotates that fast needs balancing.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
I don't balance tires on my trailers simply because trailer hubs aren't balanced and those 26" very short leaf springs work like a big damper.

My truck tire dealer many years ago showed me what happens when a tire is spun balanced then placed on the trailer and spun with a old spin the tire mounted to the vehicle machine.
1. he mounted a LT tire (no weights) on the jacked up trailer and spun it...no shaking.

2. then took the wheel off and spun balanced it per lug center adapter....placed it back on the trailer and spun it up...the trailer shook severally.

3. he then pulled the weights off the tire and spun balanced it on the trailer...matched marked the stem to one of the lugs. Just like #1 no shaking.
He then rotaded the wheel two lug holes and spun it up....more shaking.

Moral of my story is if I was going to have a tire balanced on any of my trailers it would be done on the trailer.

Rotating ?
Only if a brake loacked up and severally flat spotted one tire I rotate it with the spare.
Left and right turns scrub the tires differently so wear equals out.
Loads fore and aft....side to side change continually all making same wear on all the tires unlike the tires on the tow vehicle.

Other folks have their own ideas.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Balance new, never rotate.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

SabreCanuck
Explorer
Explorer
I have done both on all trailers. I have a tread gauge that tells me if I have one tire wearing more than any others and I rotate as required. Extends the life of the tires and have them off every season anyway so why not.
2011 GMC 2500 D-Max Denali
2015 Palomino Columbus 325RL
Our kids have 4 legs. ๐Ÿ™‚

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
time2roll wrote:
Trailer tires all see virtually the same forces and do not need rotating the position like the tow vehicle with drive wheels vs steer wheels etc.

Besides if you develop an alignment issue you will know exactly where to look.
I agree. They don't steer and have no power applied to them. Balance yes, keeps from shaking the suspension apart. Rotate no.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Trailer tires all see virtually the same forces and do not need rotating the position like the tow vehicle with drive wheels vs steer wheels etc.

Besides if you develop an alignment issue you will know exactly where to look.

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
Yes to balance, don't see the point in rotating if they are wearing the same. I've always changed mine because of age, not wear.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS