Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tires for my fifth wheel.

Krieghoff32
Explorer
Explorer
Hello Fellow RV'S.
I was l looking for some advice. I have about a two-year-old Montana mountaineer edition fifth wheel. We took a trip of about six hours on the interstate this past week and on the way there I had a tire blowout and another on the way back home. It was very frustrating...not mention the damage it did to my camper. I realize that blow outs are going to happen occasionally.

They were Goodyear marathon tires. 75 lbs of pressure.

What tire have you found to be most reliable?

Thanks
24 REPLIES 24

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
I just retired my 5 year old Power King Tow Max ST225/75R14D tires today at 11,640 miles - trouble-free except for a nail in one early on that was repaired. Less than 12,000 miles and they were pretty worn - but no blowouts ...

I replaced them with Maxxis M8008 ST225/75R15D from realdealtires.com ...
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

Chalkie
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
NHIrish wrote:

Goodyear G-614 is an ST tire.

Not really. It comes in one size, LT235/85R16G. GY does note it is for trailer service only, however it does not use the inflated ST tire ratings. It follows industry standards for inflation and weight ratings like other Light Truck tires, and is rated to 75MPH, not 65MPH like true ST tires.

http://www.goodyearrvtires.com/tire-selector.aspx

Chris

Yes, and not only that they are made in the USA at the plant in Topeka, KS. I just recently had these put on my coach. It was funny watching the tire installers pitch the China bombs around then go "oof!" when they picked up the G614's. Now admittedly, they are a G rated tire, not the original E, but just sayin'.

bluka43
Explorer
Explorer

(IMO) - Avoid GY Marathons like the plague (Ebola?).

Ditto ST tires - *regardless* of country of origin.

Plenty of "first hand" experiences to back that up.

Try a search on: Goodyear Marathon, Tire failures, etc.
Repeat on *any* RV forum/s.

Only good thing to say about GY Marathon - is GY will usually pay to repair the damage done to your trailer......
Which may be the result of the lawsuit GY lost a few years back - which included Marathons.
(Google: Goodyear kept tire problems quiet).

Folks with 15" wheels have limited choices, Maxxis is one of the better ones.
However, apparently you have 16" wheels - several excellent options, starting with Michelin XPS Ribs.

~

I had to look twice at this poster's comments to make sure I hadn't written it. All of his statements are exactly what I would have posted. I too have had very bad experiences with GY Marathons. I was stupid enough to buy replacements, thinking that the first set were a bad batch. On a trip to Michigan last year, I had two failures (belt separations) the first two days. Luckily I noticed the tire wavering while pulling through the park. I put the spare on in the parking lot and pulled into the next RV park that afternoon somewhere in Illinois, and noticed one of the other Chinese junks were wavering on the opposite side of the FW. Because of the bad experiences I've had, I carry an "extra" spare (Not a GY) in the bed of the PU when on a long trip. I parked the FW and replaced that tire. I purchased two new tires and fortunately made the remainder of the trip and then back home without tire problems, but certainly not without concern.
Incidentally, I never drive over 62 MPH on interstates and I my FW is right at 1,500 lbs underweight at the Cat scale, when loaded for travel. I since purchased 5 Bridgestone Duravis R250's and never looked back. Correct me if I'm wrong but the GY Marathon ST235/80/16 tire weighs 34 lbs while the Bridgestone R250 tire weighs 57 lbs. Does this tell you anything? Like another poster said....."I'll never put another ST tire on my RV."

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Krieghoff32 wrote:
Hello Fellow RV'S.
I was l looking for some advice. I have about a two-year-old Montana mountaineer edition fifth wheel. We took a trip of about six hours on the interstate this past week and on the way there I had a tire blowout and another on the way back home. It was very frustrating...not mention the damage it did to my camper. I realize that blow outs are going to happen occasionally.

Thanks

(IMO) - Avoid GY Marathons like the plague (Ebola?).

Ditto ST tires - *regardless* of country of origin.

Plenty of "first hand" experiences to back that up.

Try a search on: Goodyear Marathon, Tire failures, etc.
Repeat on *any* RV forum/s.

Only good thing to say about GY Marathon - is GY will usually pay to repair the damage done to your trailer......
Which may be the result of the lawsuit GY lost a few years back - which included Marathons.
(Google: Goodyear kept tire problems quiet).

Folks with 15" wheels have limited choices, Maxxis is one of the better ones.
However, apparently you have 16" wheels - several excellent options, starting with Michelin XPS Ribs.

~

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
I was luck. My '05 32',12,000 GVW Montana came with Tacoma LT's new. Replaced them last Sept. with Firestone Transforce Lt's. Have 10K on them now and am happy. No blow outs on OEM's either.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
brirene wrote:
Me Again wrote:
I have my ST pop corn popper plugged in and warming up. Got a glass of wine poured and am ready for another round of you were underinflated, curbed your tires and/or did not maintain them correctly. And should continue to buy more cheap ST tires. Chris

Ummm...so far, you're the only one to go there. Just sayin'

Pre emptive strike 😉
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

FastEagle
Explorer
Explorer
Krieghoff32 wrote:
Hello Fellow RV'S.

Thanks

If you do end up with more ST tires you should air them to 80 psi vice 75 psi. You lost valuable load capacity reserves with the 75 psi plus allowing the tire to flex a little more.

FastEagle

DannyA
Explorer
Explorer
sleekcrafter not familiar with Gladiator tires but like what you said about stuff being rearranged when traveling.
After reading so much about tire pressure I decided to put mine to the max last trip. Traveled the same roads and things were everywhere when we got home. Needing a better solution.
2013 Sabre 290 REDS 5th wheel
2011 F250 Ford diesel

Mark Twain wrote: "Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do...

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
NHIrish wrote:

Goodyear G-614 is an ST tire.

Not really. It comes in one size, LT235/85R16G. GY does note it is for trailer service only, however it does not use the inflated ST tire ratings. It follows industry standards for inflation and weight ratings like other Light Truck tires, and is rated to 75MPH, not 65MPH like true ST tires.

http://www.goodyearrvtires.com/tire-selector.aspx

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

NHIrish
Explorer
Explorer
amxpress wrote:
1) What size tire do you have on your Montana?
2) I would be willing to bet that you are running way under inflated at 75 psi.
You will receive numerous suggestions on installing LT trailer tires vs ST trailer tires. Your marathons are ST trailer tires.
I run Maxxis M8008 ST 16" tires on my fiver. I really like them and I could afford them. Maxxis is the ONLY ST tire to run. Two popular LT trailer tires are Michelin XPS Ribs and Goodyear G614 trailer tires.
Stay away from any ST tire made in China as they don't have a great track record. As mentioned, Maxxis is the ONLY ST trailer tire to consider if you choose to go with ST tires.
Run the ST tires at Maximum pressure. Be sure to have them balanced, too.

Goodyear G-614 is an ST tire. Your problem is that Keystone and every other manufacturer puts on the lowest rated tires they can get away with based on static weights. Road forces increase weighting on these under rated tires dramatically. I would suggest the G rated tires if your wheels can hold 110 psi.
2016 Heartland Bighorn 3270RS

2010 Carriage Cameo 32-FwS
2008 Carriage Cameo
2006 Keystone Cougar
2005 Keystone Zeppelin
1999 Coachmen Catalina

2017 Ford F350 Powerstroke
Curt Q25

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock
:W

waltbennett
Explorer
Explorer
Got rid of the Marathons that came with our '10 when we bought it last spring right away. They were already five years old. Went with Firestone Transforce LT tires and have had no problems at all.
'06 F350 TD, Softopper, airbags, AeroShield, coolant filter
'10 3665RE Hickory edition, wetbolts, Firestone LTs, Trimetric Battery Monitor, 4x100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking.

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
I just put on a set of 4 Maxxis 8008 tires after one of my one year old OEM Tow Max tires blew.

sleekcrafter
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just switched from GY "E" Marathon's, To Gladiator "E" QS25 series. Have 2300~ miles on them since June 20th, 70 mph, 100 plus temps, and mountain highways. So far very happy with them. The trailer does not redecorate, while on the road anymore ;)Talk to the Commercial tire suppliers, see what working on heavy haul lowboy and livestock trailers.
2001 7.3L F350 CC SB DRW BTS auto, Elkhorn 11X TC, 31 Jayco Designer, 1979 Belco Tunnel Dragster DragBoat

rb71
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought 6 goodyears 614s. The price hurts but they are a good tire.

By the way are you using a K80?

When the kids grow up that's my next 1.
Bobby
2014 Ram 3500 mega dually
2013 Voltage 3895
Pullrite 4400