cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tires

elishaman
Explorer
Explorer
I need advise on replacing the china oem tires on my 5th wheel. It came with st235x75r15 brand x tires. I am considering going to a Bridgstone Duravis m700 light truck tire in a 225x75r16. The Bridgstone Duravis is within 1" height of the size of the 15" that are on it now. I have used the Duravis on other travel trailers with great results. Of course I would have to buy new 16" custom wheels which will run about $110 each. My other thought was to just replace the 15" tires that came on it with Goodyear Endurance. I have has bad experience with Goodyear marathons. I know the Endurance is suppose to be a completely redesigned tire trying to bring people with bad Marathon experience back to Goodyear. We are planning a cross country trip next year and the last thing I need to worry about is a catastrophic tire failure. Please let me now your opinions.
50 REPLIES 50

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
buc1980 wrote:
I think the GY 614 blow up tire is when they introduced back in 2005 but is 2019 and they stil blow.I was one of the pioneers at that time and I was very upset about blow 3 of mine blow.I replace them with Michelin Rib with the same results.Finally I went Sailun way and now I don't have any more problems that was back in 2015.

Some facts seem hard to sink in here about G614's. I too ran G614's , but had no problems. I got them off and also went to Sailuns. I worried about those G614's from day one on the reviews they got. At the time they were the only real game in town, Sailuns were not really in the picture .

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Still does NOT determine if it was the tires fault or road hazard. Tire that young should have been sent to GY. Monitored tire was fine right up to blowing. What does that suggest???

Ron, you know as well as I do what it suggests a bad or faulty tire, my point all along on these Goodyear G614's, faulty tires , STILL. He may have sent it to Goodyear ,have no idea. Point to make it was also drivers side, remote chance the tire had been curbed .

His point on his post was , proper inflation, tire monitors ,and a tire blew. He also made it a point that Sailun was the next tire for him . Whens the last time you heard about a Sailun blowout, I never have. We got to hear about Goodyear blowouts on this thread . This paying double, and IMO for a tire just to get insurance if its faulty ,and tears up your rig is no consolation sitting beside the road.

Some facts seem hard to sink in here. Tire being monitored, traveling 50 MPH, and boom.

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Can't go wrong dumping ST's for LT's.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Planning
Explorer
Explorer
For information purposes:

We changed from 16" GY 614's (G) to 17.5 Sailun (H), and (Sumec aluminum wheels from Trailer Tires and Wheels). (The price of the new tires and wheels was less than the price of one GY tire.)

So far the performance has been excellent.

We had one excessive runout issue with the then (2016) (discovered during road-force balancing) new GY tires, which were replaced after going through the GY process (but did not include tax and mounting).

The RV is equipped with Titan disc brakes, shock absorbers (4) and the MorRyde SRE 4000 with X cross-brace system. We travel at maximum GVWR for the AF 5ver(16,600), routinely at 70-75 mph depending upon speed limit. We inflate to maximum CIP of 125psi.

We currently have about 7k miles with excellent performance. Subjectively, the RV "feels" much more stable while towing.

(I used the term "subjectively" to acknowledge that anecdote is not the plural of datum.)
2016 AF 29-5K; 2016 F350 6.7, 4x4, CCLB DRW

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have a tpms yet but I blew a GY Marathon, USA made, in March. I should have changed tires way before then by age but they still looked soooo good. I dont know if tire blew then damaged wheel or if wheel cracked letting the pressure get too low then blow out.
I put 4 Sailuns on & my dealer didn't find a crack. I found it on last trip as I kept losing air. New wheel. As to tpms, trying to find one for 10 tires gets pricey. Know could just do RV but I want all to be monitored.
Oh, I hated those Sailuns on 1st trip but after some miles they softened up is best description I can give

buc1980
Explorer
Explorer
I think the GY 614 blow up tire is when they introduced back in 2005 but is 2019 and they stil blow.I was one of the pioneers at that time and I was very upset about blow 3 of mine blow.I replace them with Michelin Rib with the same results.Finally I went Sailun way and now I don't have any more problems that was back in 2015.
2017 Ford F350 DRW,2005 Kountry Star 35ft,16750 lb weight on SAILUN tire,6 points LIPPERD Level-up.New Mor/ryde IS suspension install.Full body paint 2022.RV flex roof 2023

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Still does NOT determine if it was the tires fault or road hazard. Tire that young should have been sent to GY. Monitored tire was fine right up to blowing. What does that suggest???
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Some more info for Cummins12v98 on the G614 blowout. I went back ,and reviewed the thread.

The tire was manufactured in the 46th week of 2015. The thread that I started on the Sailun tire was in March of this year. He came on that thread with a picture of the G614 blowout. He reported that it happened last winter ,so I have to assume it was the winter of 2018. Making the tire just over 3 years old, if not then 4 years old.

He was traveling on a two lane road at 50 mph. He also had the TST tire monitors, and it went off as soon as the tire blew out, so apparently he was not running on a low tire, or he would of got a warning. The tire was on the drivers side, so another good chance there was nothing in the road he hit.

No mention of contacting Goodyear, just that he was going to Sailun, even possibly 17.5. He said the cost for new wheels ,and Sailun 17.5's were about the same price as another set of Goodyear G614's

Edit: as said drivers side, and it was the front tire.

Fifth Wheel 2016 Montana 3790RD
Dry weight 13,081
Payload capacity 3,789
GVWR 16,750
Hitch weight 2,870

Loaded to max GVWR 16750, would put the pin right at 4,000. 12,750 on the tires or right at 3200 per tire assuming all are equal , but most likely not. Tire capacity 3750 @ 110 psi. And most likely not loaded to max GVWR . It appears he had adequate tire capacity at the extreme. Can't imagine you would need any further info, if so , please let me know.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
B.O. Plenty wrote:
N-Trouble wrote:
TXiceman wrote:
LT tires generally have more flexible sidewalls than trailer tires. Also, on an LT, check the load rating.

Ken

^^THIS^^ is so UNTRUE and what the ST tire industry has brainwashed consumers with.

When I had STs pulled off my 5th and replaced with Bridgestone Duravis R250s the sidewalls on them is easily 2x them crappy China Bombs. There is absolutey no comparison between these tires. Dont believe everything you read or hear. See for yourself...
I agree 100%. The ST tires that came off my last rig were like bicycle tires compared to the Michelin Ribs that replaced them. If they made a LT tire that was in the load range I need, I would have them again in a heartbeat.
B.O.

Personally, I'd have zero problems running an LT 10% over the rating, but that's just the old farmer in me. :B Also, given that ST tires have about zero reserve capacity and passenger rated tires have about a 25% reserve (according to any number of tire people I've talked to in the past few decades), I don't have an issue with it. Hell, given the out and out abuse I gave tires while farming, and still drove them 10's of thousand of miles more, until steel was showing, I don't feel unsafe. :B

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
JIMNLIN wrote:
Lyle....From what I can find out from Bridgestone 1-800 tech line the Duravis R250 has been discontinued and replaced with the new R238. Same all steel ply carcass ribbed type tread like the R250 but has a bit more siping in the tread.
Some large dealers may have the R250 in their warehouse.

Hadn't heard that. Thanks for the update!

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Two years and 5 months on the market with no doubt thousands sold and not a single tire FAILURE that I have heard of and I frequent 7 sites. If that is not enough to give a thumbs up you simply don’t like GY. That’s fine but at least be honest.

Not sure what I am not being honest about, just reporting yet another G614 blowout. I agree its just another tire story one among many involving the troublesome G614.

You can rah! rah! the Endurance all you want ,two years proves nothing, lets review this in another couple years.

I know you are a goodyear fan, but does not change the facts of the G614, they just continue to have blowouts. Its reported on this thread, and another on the Montana forum . We get to hear just a fraction of tire problems, imagine how many more we never hear about.

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
If the weight ratings for the LT225/75R16 tires work for you. The get the Bridgestone DURAVIS R238, then worry about something besides your tires. I just replaced a 6 year old set of DURAVIS R250's. I hope the Sailun's are as good.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Two years and 5 months on the market with no doubt thousands sold and not a single tire FAILURE that I have heard of and I frequent 7 sites. If that is not enough to give a thumbs up you simply don’t like GY. That’s fine but at least be honest.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sidewall is most likely road hazard. Did they send it to GY?

So unless you state all the facts it’s just another tire story.

Yes for a quality USMade tire they are a bargain. I own a set now for two years so does my Son. No issues. We tow at 70-75 in hot weather.

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
cummins2014 wrote:
twodownzero wrote:
I'm happy with my GY endurance tires so far. Had them since January. I used to only use LT tires, but these are doing the job.

So far, six months , not much else too say. Come back in 4-6 years, and some miles , lets see how they are doing then.

In that time, they will have been replaced. I don't take chances with trailer tires.