cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tires

Campinfan
Explorer III
Explorer III
Before you all jump on me abut inflation and weight, etc. I always check my tires and make sure they are aired up to 95 lbs (as called for)...Well, this weekend, one of my Chinese tire bombs blew on me on the way home from a trip. The tires are 235 85 R 16. I am looking at the Endurance. Weird thing is that the OEM tires say load range F and Endurance are E. When I look at inflation rates per Goodyear, they say I can hit the same rating by airing up to 95 lbs or 100 even though tires say 80lbs. So are people still happy with Endurance? My only requirement is tires made in North America, preferably the USA.
61 REPLIES 61

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Splashers3 wrote:
I totally agree with Cummins2014.....how heavy your trailer weighs makes all the difference in tire choice.

I love my Westlake G rated tires....when time to replace it will either be them again, or Sailun 637s.

Of course you need to cover the actual weight of your RV tires are carrying. A 15k RV no matter the length the GY "E" or "G" will do the job with capacity to spare.

Sick and tired of these "CLAIMS" of ENDURANCE and GY "G" issues. Fact is the accuser had a Sailun blowout.

All three tires have a good track record so let's be honest, US or Communist China???
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
On a lighter unit they will probably work fine, Redwoods, especially the early ones run heavy. My '16 had a brochure dry weight of approx 14K, the yellow sticker leaving the Factory put it at just shy of 16K before we even put in a single paper plate.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Michelle.S wrote:
Westlakes were being used on Redwoods and did do well, now they're using "Goodride" and so far don't sound any better, folks just see "Good" and thing they have Goodyear's till they fail.

The Westlakes I had were the All Steel Radials. St235/80/16 G rated 4080 lbs @ 110 psi. A friend of mine bought them , he has a lighter fifth wheel then mine, and was not concerned about buying them. I told him I didn't know much about them. He had a job in Alaska this summer, and that fifth wheel has been up there ,and back with no issues . Plus a couple more trip down here.

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
Westlakes were being used on Redwoods and did do well, now they're using "Goodride" and so far don't sound any better, folks just see "Good" and thing they have Goodyear's till they fail.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Splashers3 wrote:
I totally agree with Cummins2014.....how heavy your trailer weighs makes all the difference in tire choice.

I love my Westlake G rated tires....when time to replace it will either be them again, or Sailun 637s.

I had new Westlakes on the new to us fifth wheel we bought a few months ago , was skeptical about them not hearing much about them . I decided to sell them and get the Sailuns . They were identical to the Sailuns , couldnโ€™t tell them apart other then the name on them . They too were an All Steel radial .

There is several of these All Steel radials showing up from overseas, I have the feeling they are going to prove out being the same quality as the Sailuns. Westllake being one getting into the G rated game . Unfortunately there is not a G rated tire made in the US with the 4000 lb rating or higher that Iโ€™m aware of . Big reason you are seeing these overseas tires showing up as OE on the new fifth wheels . I know the 2020 Bighorns come with the G rated Westlakes .

Splashers3
Explorer
Explorer

2017 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali, C/C, D/A, DRW, w/40gal Aux tank, 18K B&W Patriot.
2019 Cedar Creek Hathaway, 34RL2 - w/Bells & Whistles and disc brakes
Traded 2009 Cedar Creek Silverback, GII, 32 WRL

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
allen8106 wrote:
I installed Endurance on my 5th wheel back in early January and immediately took a 2500 mile round trip to Arizona and back traveling at 70-75 mph with no issues.

Whole different ball game , then applying the Endurance 16" E rated tires to a heavy 41' fifth wheel. Comparing apples ,and oranges here.

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
I installed Endurance on my 5th wheel back in early January and immediately took a 2500 mile round trip to Arizona and back traveling at 70-75 mph with no issues.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Quality US made Goodyear G614's the issues just keep on coming, as well as the Endurance , blowouts ,plus wear issues . Great tire for the weekend warrior or light trailers ,not a good application for the heavier fifth wheels, just don't meet the weight ratings nor do they last.

How much more simple can we say it, the Goodyear tires do not have a capable rating for the bigger fifth wheels, Big reason you are seeing Westlakes , Sailuns etc. on bigger fifth wheels, that's a fact.

Montana used to offer the G614's , no longer.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Campinfan wrote:
Thank you all for the advice. Maybe I will take all 4 at once, what ever tire I get. Maybe I will go weigh my trailer again and see the axle weights since it is loaded as if we were hitting the road...minus some food. You have all given me lots to think about.

Itโ€™s good to know your weight , but no way in the world would I run a Goodyear E or G rated tire on a 41โ€™ fifth wheel @ 15,000 GVWR even if it is only 3000 per tire . Iโ€™d want my tires G rated and at least 4080 on weight rating . Those Goodyearโ€™s just donโ€™t get it done on weight ratings . There is no question on the Sailun S637โ€™s in either the 235/80/16 or 235/85/16 . I run the 235/85/16 on my 15500 GVWR fifth wheel.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Campinfan wrote:
Thank you all for the advice. Maybe I will take all 4 at once, what ever tire I get. Maybe I will go weigh my trailer again and see the axle weights since it is loaded as if we were hitting the road...minus some food. You have all given me lots to think about.

Know your weights then decide.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Campinfan
Explorer III
Explorer III

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Campinfan wrote:
GY told me they don't make a tire that will work. They could not say why their inflation chart shows 95 and 110lbs of air pressure. I believe my trailer has a GVWR of 15K with over 2500 lbs of that being cargo capacity. I am going to order the Sailuns an have them mounted by Discount Tire. I will have to install them because there is no way I can maneuver my rig thru their parking lot. I think I will do 2 at a time and actually only have one tire jacked up at a time. I will use the spare to keep 3 wheels on the ground at a time....not sure if I NEED to do that but I feel more comfortable having only one at a time jacked up.

15k with 20% pin removed leaves 3k per tire. Either of the GY tires I mentioned will be just fine and you won't have to support Communist China.

GY told you that because your RV came with "F" tires.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Campinfan wrote:
I will use the spare to keep 3 wheels on the ground at a time....not sure if I NEED to do that but I feel more comfortable having only one at a time jacked up.

If it makes you feel more secure, but your trailer axles won't care if you use a stand under each axle, as long as in appropriate location.

Jerry

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Campinfan wrote:
GY told me they don't make a tire that will work. They could not say why their inflation chart shows 95 and 110lbs of air pressure. I believe my trailer has a GVWR of 15K with over 2500 lbs of that being cargo capacity. I am going to order the Sailuns an have them mounted by Discount Tire. I will have to install them because there is no way I can maneuver my rig thru their parking lot. I think I will do 2 at a time and actually only have one tire jacked up at a time. I will use the spare to keep 3 wheels on the ground at a time....not sure if I NEED to do that but I feel more comfortable having only one at a time jacked up.

I did two at a time when I didn't have level up, with level up, and jack stands I take all four off ,and get them replaced . Good move on the Sailuns.