cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

To cover or not to cover.... that is the question

notobright
Explorer
Explorer
We live in Florida and as you can imagine the sun is just brutal on any type of RV.
Thinking about a cover. But I have questions.

1. Is it a good idea? My biggest concern would be mold. Right behind sun's brutality is the sunshine states's humidity.

2. Opinions on best covers would be great.

Thanks all and Happy RVing!
20 REPLIES 20

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
I use a ADCO Tyvek cover on my camper and still suffer UV damage thru the cover. The rubbing of the cover also causes finish damage in high wind situations. "To cover or not to cover" is a real brain twister. The good quality fabric covers are far from cheap and I strugglw to know whether it does any good or causes more problems than it saves.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

rattleNsmoke
Explorer
Explorer
I cover ours. Glad we did. It protected the paint from a falling tree limb that grazed the Beast and keeps the rig a lot cleaner over the harsh winters here.
Mike
2010 Cedar Creek 34SATS (The Beast) & 20k Curt Q20 roller slider hitch
2006 Ford F350 SRW,SC Powerstroke diesel Lariat

2003 Harley Heritage Softail (Hogzilla)
and a wifey with tons of patience....

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
I live in Arizona, and the sun does do some damage to the RV. Especially things like plastic parts and decals. I tried covering mine, but I found it was just too dangerous trying to crawl up on top of the RV, drag the cover and then unfold it while not falling off the edge of the rig. Then, it's a hassle to uncover it if you just want to take off for a day or two. It's easier to be spontaneous and head out if it's not covered. My personal choice is to just deal with the sun, and leave the RV uncovered.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

notobright
Explorer
Explorer
Steel... I know would be the best but it is not an option.... Thanks for the input

mbutts
Explorer
Explorer
I like to cover mine since I park in a wooded area. It usually is covered with twigs, leaves, etc. which clog the gutters and gives the RV lots of black streaks.

I use an ADCO tyvek cover that's breathable so I don't have trouble with mold. I get 2-3 seasons of use from it.

I agree a drive-in RV port would be easier, but it's not in the budget right now.
Mike Butts
DW+DD+DS+Poodles
2017 Forest River Forester 3011DS (first MH!)
Previously 1999 Coleman Santa Fe pop-up, 2007 Kodiak 23SS hybrid, 2013 Sunset Trail 29SS travel trailer

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
Steel

We covered one rig with tarps, ah. The next with a real cover, that took real effort to put on (and a ladder). The last two have been in an RV port. Best idea yet.
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.