cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

toilet

sarahm
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, I bought a used 5th wheel. I need to replace the toilet. I was talking to sale woman, and she said that the toilet will have no water in the bowel. Rv toilet's bowels are used dry. Is this true? Or am I being feed a line again. Has anyone used Thetford Aria toilets? I am looking at switching from Sealand to Thetford. I hate the cheap seat on Sealand. But I'm concerned about the shallow bowel,and 10v power connection on Thetford. Any advise would really be appreciated. Thanks
17 REPLIES 17

Coach-man
Explorer
Explorer
?? The water in the bowl keeps the seal from drying out, it also helps sealing from oders! You do not have a couple of gallons of water, more like a pint of water, but water you have! Not to be picky, but if you had only 10 volts your battery would be stone dead! You have almost 13 volts, but it is referred to as a 12 volt connection! And I agree with another poster, why? Just more stuff to go wrong!

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
As usual my friend "Old Biscuit" gets to the heart of the matter:

RV toilets have water in bowl to act as a 'vapor barrier' (and to keep bowl seal wet)

So my toilet always has just the right amount of water in the bowl as we are moving and as we are set up.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
sarahm wrote:
Ruining the ball, and seal to the bowel. .
Ok, it's BOWL, not bowel. Your bowel(s) is what's inside you.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

sarahm
Explorer
Explorer
sorry. I meant to post this on the 5th wheel forum. No need now. Thank you guys for the info, and advice. I have to replace the present toilet because the previous owner got dirt in the water line. Ruining the ball, and seal to the bowel. I could fix it. But that requires taking the whole thing apart. Replacing toilet would be easier,and more pleasant. I am surprised that the Sales Associate for Parts Dep wouldn't know more about what she is selling. Won't be going there for tech info. I bought the toilet today. I went with elec push button. Because of very, very small room my toilet is in. Reaching a petal at the bottom of the bowel on the outside wall side. Is a challenge. Thank you guys for your help.

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
leak
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

buc1980
Explorer
Explorer
If you don't have water in the bowl that means the seal lick.
2017 Ford F350 DRW,2005 Kountry Star 35ft,16750 lb weight on SAILUN tire,6 points LIPPERD Level-up.New Mor/ryde IS suspension install.Full body paint 2022.RV flex roof 2023

Carl_n_Susan
Nomad II
Nomad II
IMO the Dometic 310 or 320 are the best toilets out there. The Thetford has a propensity to leak water around the seal (they should hold some water over the seal) before the pedal either breaks or sticks slightly open (the seal closes but the water keeps coming in = wet floor). I prefer the 320 for the extended bowl and its height.
Temp Signature1
Second Line
Third line
Fourth Line

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
sarahm wrote:
I was talking to sale woman, and she said that the toilet will have no water in the bowel. Rv toilet's bowels are used dry.

Every RV toilet I have had, 6 total, all had water in the bowl.I think the sales lady did not know what she was talking about.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
The water would be in your bowel.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Thetford Techma macerating toilet with electric controls. It automatically adds water to the bowl after each flush. That water level is programmable.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Mine always has a little water in the bowl. And if a #2 is planned, I can add water to the bowl by lifting the foot pedal with my foot to get a better cleaner flush.

Replacing the seat is no problem. I did not like the cheap seat on my Sealand, so I just went to Home Depot and bought a better one.

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
Use a toilet tissues X before you poop, then you don't have to clean the bowl.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Welcome!

Just some clarification....OK

You posted in 'folding trailers' but mention bought 5th wheel???

RV toilets have water in bowl to act as a 'vapor barrier' (and to keep bowl seal wet)
Residential toilets have water in bowl due to built in 'p' trap in toilet base casting.also for vapor barrier

RV sales folks typically do NOT know their products so rarely listen to them or follow their advice

Sealand toilet to Thetford.....OK but you do not NEED to go with the Thetford Aria Deluxe II toilet that requires 12V DC power to flush.
You would not only need to R&R toilets but you would need to provide that DC power ------fuse/wires/connections etc

Check your Sealand against this Thetford replacement chart....LINK

And whenever toilet is removed I always recommend adding a shut-off valve to toilet water supply line so that water to toilet can be isolated vs having to turn trailer water supply off.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like the sales person has never been in an RV, or used an RV toilet, and assumes you are as much in the dark as she is. I would shop somewhere else. However, if you do shop there, be prepared for anything. RV toilets can be used dry if necessary, but do need to be flushed well with water before leaving it dry. Ours is dry when travelling, to keep water from splashing out, but otherwise always has some amount of water in the bowl.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.