Explorer
Explorer
does anyone use a tonnaeu cover when they are not hooked up to 5er
47 REPLIES 47

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
austinjenna wrote:
Our Retrax Pro is great. Easy to open, locks in any position, and weather proof. Very satisfied.

X3

X4. I had a Roll N Lock on my last truck and found the strap and latching mechanism to be a PIA. I had to actually "lift up" on the rear of the cover to get it to latch or unlatch. My wife could not operate the cover, and I also found that the strap got tangled up on my fifth wheel hitch or cargo in the bed. The cover also did not slide with ease even with multiple attempts at adjusting it. I also did not like the fact that I needed to unlatch the cover in order to open the tailgate. Lastly the vinyl on the top of the cover developed lines between the aluminum slats that I could not remove and it began to look horrible. I am a stickler for maintenance so lack of maintenance was definitely not an issue with it.

The Retrax is much better. It can be locked in any position along the rail (the Roll N Lock can only be locked in 4 positions), there is no strap to tangle on the hitch or cargo, the lock is on the driver's side of the cover rather than in the middle which eliminates getting up on the truck bed to lock or unlock it, it opens and closes much easier, the tailgate can be opened with the cover closed and locked, and the surface of it is non staining and virtually maintenance free. It also keeps the truck bed much drier than the Roll N Lock did. In summary, it is a much better cover that I am completely satisfied with.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

glazier
Explorer II
Explorer II
4bearhug wrote:
For those that use a Fold-a-Cover tonneau with a 6.5 bed, I would like to ask if the cover folded up at the front when towing clears the fiver in sharp turning situation? I'm sure it does in road travel, but I'm concerned about uneven camp sites when backing in some of those tight spots.

I'm considering this for my next TV because my current tonneau, Retrax, eats up alot of space in the bed with the cannister. I would like to go with a folding hard top that locks.

That was my concern before I settled on the Retrax Pro, I don't think my trailer could clear it in a tight turn. Another option, as mentioned in this thread is the Bak Roll X, I think that is a very nice cover.
2017 Grand Design Momentum 328M
2015 Chevy 2500HD LTZ Duramax CC/SB/4X4
B&W Companion Slider

4bearhug
Explorer
Explorer
For those that use a Fold-a-Cover tonneau with a 6.5 bed, I would like to ask if the cover folded up at the front when towing clears the fiver in sharp turning situation? I'm sure it does in road travel, but I'm concerned about uneven camp sites when backing in some of those tight spots.

I'm considering this for my next TV because my current tonneau, Retrax, eats up alot of space in the bed with the cannister. I would like to go with a folding hard top that locks.

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
musicman54 wrote:
does anyone use a tonnaeu cover when they are not hooked up to 5er

Choices may depend on long or short bed.

For long bed - more options.

The "hard" covers that roll up are great - but for a short bed,
you lose bed space.

Short bed - I have a Fold A Cover.

Good, but for ease of roll up or removal - Truxedo would be another good choice.

It's still one of those - "what works best for you" - things.

Google is your friend - check 'em all out..;)

~

Bob_O
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Jack Rabbit on my '98 Dodge 2500 long bed. The tonnaeu cover is actually for the short bed but fits exactly with my over the bed tool mounted behind the cab. I like this combination as I can carry my tools in the tool box and keep the bed open for extra items. Cover is closed when not towing and open to just in front of the hitch when towing. For me it is a great combination. Fairly inexpensive as I bought both the tool box and tonneau cover on Craigslist.
Bob
1998 Dodge 2500 Cummins QuadCab
2009 Montana Big Sky

Nodaker
Explorer
Explorer
ReTrax Pro is great! You do lose some space at front of box so it works best on an 8' box. Can roll back and lock just in front of 5'er hitch when towing and easily rolls all the way back when unhitched.
Nodaker
2017 Newmar Bay Star 3113
2011 Chev Colorado dinghy

captbobny wrote:
I also use a rolnlock cover. For me this is the only bed cover to buy.:)

I had that on my last truck and loved it... BUT I did not like the idea that I had to open the cover every time I opened the tailgate since the cover latches onto it...

The jackrabbit is almost exactly the same as the Roll-N-Lock , but it latches on the side rail , giving full access to the tailgate without opening the cover.. This was more of a problem in the winter with snow and ice on the cover...
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

captbobny
Explorer
Explorer
I also use a rolnlock cover. For me this is the only bed cover to buy.:)
2006 Sunnybrook 32bwks
2006 F350 4X4 Crew Cab 6.0 Lariat

TOOBOLD
Explorer
Explorer
Our truck came with an Agri Cover. Just ordered a new one. Wore out after almost 10 years. Folds up nicely when towing.

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
My Extang Tuff Toneau has 4 cross members and the truck is outside in all weather. We get a lot of snow. One storm left about 3 feet and the cover did sag a bit but after I cleaned it off it returned to it's normal shape. It is 9 years old and has held up well and when I have issues, like a broken latch, Extang has sent parts free.

MNRon
Explorer
Explorer
I have the TonnoPro tri-fold. And live in MN. It is garaged at night, but had no problem last year at times with >6inches of snow on it. I'm sure if it was sitting in Buffalo NY with 6ft of snow it wouldn't hold (as some of the sticks and bricks roofs aren't right now). I can't imagine it sinking to the truck bed.

With that said, I haven't left it on while towing yet because it uses up over 3in of rail clearance. I keep thinking of leaving it on, and will probably give it a try this coming year (just being careful in campgrounds, my superglide will help on all but the tightest turns). Fortunately it only takes a couple minutes to put it on and off so it hasn't been too difficult to put it on when unhitched in campground to cover the hitch.
Ron & Pat
2022 F350 Lariat CCSB SRW Diesel
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
I previously had a Truxedo Truxport roll up and never had that problem with it. I wasn't wild about the roll up because I wanted the front part of the bed covered while towing. My current Tonno Pro trifold stays garaged so I haven't had a lot of snow on it, but I can't see it stretching to that point; it seems pretty sturdy. Additionally it is bowed up slightly.
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

mountainsam
Explorer
Explorer
I too am just starting the search for a cover on my Ram long bed. Now I have 10 brands to look into. Years ago I had a vinyl roll up on my pickup. I was not pulling a fifth wheel with this truck. I found myself in Iowa during a snow storm and when I went out in the morning the vinyl cover was weighted down with snow and actually stretched to rest in the bottom of the bed. It had two support bars to prevent this but they weren't much help. Are the vinyl covers better constructed now to prevent this?
2017 Thor Gemini 23TR w/ 3.2 Power Stroke turbo diesel
2014 Ram 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel Crew Cab, Long Bed 4X4 6 Speed Auto (sold)
2013 Rockwood Signature 8281 WS w/Sidewinder Pin (sold)
DW and Sofie our Black Lab /Boxer and Phoebe our Schnoodle

1Preacher
Explorer
Explorer
Rolls up behind cab.
Jack
DW-Sue
Maggie-Minature Dachshund
07 Chevy 2500HD,Titan 52gal. tank
07 Designer34RLQS,J.T.Strongarms
2014 nights camping 75