musicman54
Explorer
Explorer
does anyone use a tonnaeu cover when they are not hooked up to 5er
47 REPLIES 47

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
Our Retrax Pro is great. Easy to open, locks in any position, and weather proof. Very satisfied.

X3

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

GypsiesAtHeart2
Explorer
Explorer
I'm also looking at covers. Anybody using the truxedo using the deuce? It seems very versatile being a roll up that can open from the front also.
2014 Forest River Wildcat 293 REX
2012 GMC 3500 HD SRW CC LB Diesel

Dutch___Di
Explorer
Explorer
We had the Pace Edwards for 15 years on our 1996 Dodge and loved it. When it needed replacing, we went for the Retrax. It was good until a little birdie left us a present. I really ruined that area. We went back to Pace Edwards. When we purchased our 2014 Ram last year, we stayed with the Pace Edwards but this time treated ourselves to the key fob and just hit the button to open or close. I also like that we can stop it anywhere when we are towing. Hugs, Di
2015 Western Brown Pearl single cab Ram 3500 Dually. Aisin Transmission, Pace Edwards auto rolltop cover, DeBoe Slide Step, AMP Side Steps.
1996/2010 Triple Slide Carriage, Mor/Ryde Susp, Kodiak Disc Brakes, Big Foot Auto Leveling System, TST TPMS

stetwood
Explorer
Explorer
Yes have a truxedo. It improves mileage by 1 to 2 gpm when not towing. I did have to cut the rails so that would give me more clearance to the 5th. It takes just a few minutes to reinstall or remove the cut portion.

BB_TX wrote:
I have a Pace Edwards Full Metal Jackrabbit that stays on all the time. Pull it all the way back when not towing to hide things in the bed. And keeps the hitch out of the weather. Pull it back to near the hitch when towing if I have something in the front of the bed I want to hide.

Me too... Love it... I can close it all the way and lock it... I can open it all the way.. Or I can open it every 12 inches.. The best part is the fact that it does NOT attach to the tailgate , this way I can open and close the tailgate without opening the cover...
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Sturgeon-Phish
Explorer
Explorer
The Pace Edwards works with a V gate
Jim
2003 GMC 3500 crew dually. Transfer Flow 50g aux tank; ISSPRO gauges, PPE boost valve, air box mods, stock exhaust w/o muffler, Line-X, Pace Edwards bed locker power tonneau. B&W Companion. Pulls a '05 Wildcat 31QBH 5th wheel

MTPockets1
Explorer
Explorer
Www.bakflip.com - I have the F1 BakFlip
2012 3055RL Big Horn - Dexter upgraded axles - G rated LT Tires
MorRyde, Genset, Dual Panes, 2 A/C, Yeti Package
2013 F350 DRW 4x4 Crew King Ranch

notruffinit
Explorer
Explorer
Ramblin Recks wrote:
Our Retrax Pro is great. Easy to open, locks in any position, and weather proof. Very satisfied.

x2
'11 Ram 3500 Cummins
'12 Cameo 34SB3

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
Truxedo here. Works great.

jevanb
Explorer
Explorer
Tonneau pro in the summer, camper shell in the winter
2006 CC 4x Lbz,

2012 Wildcat 344QB
Pullrite Superglide

Ramblin_Recks
Explorer
Explorer
George and Ann
2012 Dodge 3500, SLT Big Horn,CC,DRW,Cummins HO, EB ,4x4,3:73, Retrax Pro, Q20
2014 Cedar Creek, 36CKTS, 640W Solar, MPPT60, Magnum 2000
Retired Army, but still working....until 2016

musicman54
Explorer
Explorer
does all these work with the 5er tailgate

Sturgeon-Phish
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Pace Edwards Bedlocker. Works great and I can partially close iit even hooked up.
Jim
2003 GMC 3500 crew dually. Transfer Flow 50g aux tank; ISSPRO gauges, PPE boost valve, air box mods, stock exhaust w/o muffler, Line-X, Pace Edwards bed locker power tonneau. B&W Companion. Pulls a '05 Wildcat 31QBH 5th wheel

shepstone
Explorer
Explorer
Had a Folda-cover on my old truck with fiver, never had any problems with clearance.
2017 F350 Ruby Red Super Cab Dually 6.7 3.55 gears. B&W Companion 25K. BackRack. Gatorback mud guards. AUX65FCBRG aux tank. 2021 GD 380fl
2010 GMC Savanna 3500 extended 6.0

GPG52_
Explorer II
Explorer II
I did use a tri-fold when we had a short box TV. It worked well but found that the triple height + latch would sometimes be to close to the 5er when doing a sharp turn.
Our new combo includes an 8ft box TV.
We purchased a Roll-N-Lock tonneau cover which adds no height to the TV side rails and rolls neatly through a spring loaded system in a box behind the cab. It also has adjustable roll points stops which allows it to lock just behind the 5th wheel when towing.
We also added its matching Cargo Management system, this is a gate that can be adjusted at any point on the rails.
So... with the cover is locked just behind the 5th wheel and the Cargo Mngt system locked at the same point it creates a safe area to hold coolers, generator etc.
I will be covering the gate with a prefab tarp (boat canopy dealer) which will keep some of the road dust and water (but not water tight) from entering the enclosed cargo area. Works for us . www.rolnlock.com

PS: Some have found that the 5th wheel handle extends up higher than the TV side rails which makes having a tonneau cover a challenge. They sometimes have to flip the handle in a downwards position to be able to use a cover. GPG
GPG ๐Ÿ™‚
2014 Ford F250, 6.2L, 4.30 Ratio, 6 speed
2014 Cougar (by Keystone) 327 RES