cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tool Box on Tow Truck ???

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
I am new to FW (on order not arrived yet) having moved from a TT. I have a short bed 2016 Chevy 2500 TV that I use for work. The TV has a "standard" above the rails tool box.

Will it be necessary to remove the tool box when I connect to the FW to keep the FW from hitting the tool box?

If I can not use a standard tool box, can you suggest a below the rail tool box that will be flush with the rails?

Any suggestions is welcome. Thanks.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos
8 REPLIES 8

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Highwayman tool box plus a HighwaymanCompanion box. They are below the truck rails and we have had them for a long time and they hold up well. We have to be careful to make sure we clear the companion box when hitching/unhitching but normally we encounter no problems at all. We are full timers and my spouse carries lots of tools.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

jay5er
Explorer
Explorer
No---Had the same combo and tool box was no problem!!

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
HighwayProducts are TOP CABIN.

New this is over $1,000, I was lucky found on CL for $350. 30" front to back.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

BarryG20
Explorer
Explorer
There are a variety of manufacturers that make toolbox/chest that sit on the floor of the bed and are flush with the top rails.
such as this one
https://www.deezee.com/product/red-label-fifth-wheel-utility-chest-black/
or here are a couple other styles
https://www.pickupspecialties.com/toolboxes/Unique/5th_wheel_fifth_wheel_tool_boxes_unique.html

I have a headache rack on my truck and chose to do a shorter rv style (like the third picture in the second link) that sits on the floor but I wanted the bed space so I fabbed a frame out of unistrut that I attached to my headache rack mounts and my shorter box is up off the floor so I can still haul long things on the bed floor or put smaller things under it yet it is flush with the bed rails.
There are many manufacturers and quality levels. Previously I had a Dee Zee box in my old truck that is still going after 15 years. The new truck is sporting a Pro Tech box. While definitely nicer than the DeeZee ever was it was also twice the price.
2016 Jayco 28.5 RLTS

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
The wise thing is to replace your tool box with on flush to the rails or slightly below. Mine sits about an inch below, and I also have a roll up Tonneau cover.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

5thwheeleroldma
Explorer
Explorer
I damaged the front of my 5th wheel on a sharp turn with a box that protruded about 2 1/2" above the sides of the pickup. I may have been on slightly unlevel ground too. I gave that box away and got one that is flush with the pickup sides. I have short bed and a slider hitch.

fulltime5er
Explorer
Explorer
Highway Products make several that are flush with the bed rails. I have a long bed, and have their Companion model that goes just behind the tailgate.
2013 Ford F350 Crew Cab, 4x4 Long bed, DRW, 6.7 Diesel, 3.73,
2014 Cedar Creek 36ckts
B&W Companion hitch (puck type)

padre1944
Explorer
Explorer
Shouldn't be a problem - at least not for me.