cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tow Rig question SRW or DRW for 5th RAM

RokNDmax
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sure this has been debated millions of times, but here is a new spin.

At what weight would you consider a DRW to be mandatory whilst towing a fifth wheel ?

or other.

For background, looking at new Ram 3500's, the SRW payload is @ 4400, and the DRW is 5600. Lots has changed in the last few years, but I realize a # is only a # and a DRW may feel more safe and secure even though the SRW isn't technically overloaded. Will be buying both a new truck and fiver in the next few months, so everything is still wide open.

PS - Could not find a good thread discussing by weight, if you know of one, feel free to post.
PSS - Sorry this has been done, feel free to ignore if you don't wish to discuss again...

Thanks !
65 REPLIES 65

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Why are so many afraid of the dually. Is it simply the look.
A crew cab long bed SRW is just as wide as a dually when you include the mirrors.
A SRW CCLB is no easier to park than a dually. They are both very long vehicles.
If a SRW will fit in a spot 90% of the time a dually will also fit.
The only real no fly zone for duallies are drive throughs windows and possibly a home garage. My dually will make it through 70% of the drive through I encounter.
No you will not be able to park in the front row at the grocery store, but neither will a SRW.
For the most part the max. payload for a SRW is 4K which for me means 15K is the limit on the 5'er. 15K = 3000 pin + 1000 pounds in truck for passengers and cargo. 3000+1000=4000 and your at capacity for a SRW
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
talonhead wrote:
I have a '14 Limited MegaDually CTD 4x4 w/3.73. It is my daily driver (mostly in town), I love it. It is a dream to drive. With the tow mirrors and backup cam, I have no issues in parking (except when the spaces are made for sub compacts!) my previous truck was an F250 CCSB with v10,4.30. The only time I've hade a little issue was the winter. I wound up putting #1K of concrete and sand in the bed for traction due to the duals. Even then the front axle has fantastic traction with the CTD up front.
I had plans of upgrading my 5er and spending some time on the road. Life happens and new camper or camping trips are not in the near future. Am going to take a couple of trips to pick up some auction stuff in the next week or so. Gonna test the ride with a couple of #K in the bed;)

Next winter try airing down the rears to about 40psi, you might be supprised with the change in traction, that is empty.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

talonhead
Explorer
Explorer
I have a '14 Limited MegaDually CTD 4x4 w/3.73. It is my daily driver (mostly in town), I love it. It is a dream to drive. With the tow mirrors and backup cam, I have no issues in parking (except when the spaces are made for sub compacts!) my previous truck was an F250 CCSB with v10,4.30. The only time I've hade a little issue was the winter. I wound up putting #1K of concrete and sand in the bed for traction due to the duals. Even then the front axle has fantastic traction with the CTD up front.
I had plans of upgrading my 5er and spending some time on the road. Life happens and new camper or camping trips are not in the near future. Am going to take a couple of trips to pick up some auction stuff in the next week or so. Gonna test the ride with a couple of #K in the bed;)
2014 Ram 3500 Limited Mega Dually 4WD (True Blue Pearl) w/Alcoa's & paint match bumpers.

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
A good rule of thumb to follow for 5th wheel trailer:
3/4T Vehicle up to 12k GVWR
1T SRW Up to ~16k
Over 16k 1T Dually

Just like anything else there are exceptions to the rule but it's a good starting point.
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

bluegrass_smoke
Explorer
Explorer
I went thru this very choice 6 months ago. We have a 2014 Bighorn and I decided to go with a dually. I got the trailer first and did have a hard time finding the right truck at the right price. The truck is my daily driver. It is sometimes tough to park but I decided that I would park in the back of lots when I could. This is now my weight loss program. I walk much more and enjoy the truck much more. I had a SRW pulling a bumper tow car hauler and hated it when the 18-wheelers went past me. I even had a friend with a F350 tow my car hauler for me and a 18-wheeler passed him and it pushed him into an abandoned car on the interstate. He just side swipped the car breaking the mirror off but we had to replace 3 panels on my trailer. I am happy with my dually and know that I can grow into a bigger 5er and keep the same truck.
2017 Heartland Bighorn 3760EL
2017 Ford F350 DRW Lariat

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
See signature - our 5th wheel has a GVWR of 19,000 lbs. I can assure you that our truck that's rated for 39,100 GCWR, 30,050 trailer tow, 14,000 GVWR and 9,750 rear axle GAWR handles it without breaking a sweat. It's WELL within its operating envelope. But then again, I've towed our 5th wheels with Ram 3500 duallies for the last 20 years.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

rvexodus
Explorer
Explorer
Folks, I'm going through the same spin as the OP. The wife and I are looking to go full time. We considered doing so in our 33ft (37actual) Starcraft Autumn Ridge TT. However, without a number of key "requirements", we decided it was best to upgrade trailer and truck. Currently we have a '13 Ram Power Wagon which has a lower tow rating than standard 2500s.

We are looking at trailers that have a roomy living room area, an office area, king bed, and a loft bed. Most triple axle toy haulers fit the bill with the garage posing as an office and a loft above the garage.

We do not want a DRW. Sorry, we just don't. I'm sure one day we will value stability and handling over looks and manuvarsbility. However, like others we will use the TV as our primary driver when not towing. So we want the best of both worlds. Oh our first world problems. SRW puts us in a dual axle 5th wheel ... Period. Now when I see a triple axle I don't bother looking at it. Also, many of the dual axles push or exceed GVWR / tow capacity of a 3500 Diesel SRW which we are looking to purchase; replacing the not so powerful power wagon.

Here is my dilemma. As with many of us trying to choose a TV that we like, can afford, etc ... I'm looking at trailers that are within the max rating of the TV I am considering. Is this wrong? If Dodge says 17k should I only consider 15k GVWR or am I ok to tow what the trailer is rated for? I understand pin weight; so keeping that in mind too.

Great thread. I appreciate everyone's perspective.

Kirk

RokNDmax
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I don't think you are listening!

Plain and simple you need a Dually.

No, I'm listening...and asking questions.

I have not decided on the trailer yet...bigger trailer or bigger truck....

Thanks for the chart.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't think you are listening! Plain and simple your 17K 5thwheel will easily have 4,250# pin weight if you are full timing as you say you will be. Now lets add you and your family, fuel, hitch and toolbox. Now tell me you can tow a 17K 5er with a 3500 SRW RAM or another SRW truck out there without being over your rear axle rating..

The 17K number can bet obtained with a gooseneck trailer that has a MUCH lower pin.

Plain and simple you need a Dually.

Here is a chart.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

RokNDmax
Explorer
Explorer
Still haven't made the purchase...currently "negotiating" with a couple of local dealers who are trying to squeeze as much as possible...NO, I don't want to purchase the $700 paint protection, oh, it comes with it allready ? Too bad.....

Coach-man wrote:
To the OP, would the TV be your only driver? If that will be a daily driver, parking an maneuvering is a big issue, and can not or should not be ignored. With proper tires, you should be good to go up to 13K - 14K for your rig. However you will be at max in that range! You state you will buy both rig and TV, why not settle on your rig first, then determine what you would need to haul it with? If you buy the TV first you may limit your options!

Of all the comments, this one seemed to sum up the issue at hand...yes, it would be the daily driver...we are planning to go full timing, wife working as a travel nurse, me as the driver/mechanic/babysitter. We have not purchased a trailer yet, but plan to buy enough truck to give us as many options as possible. The new truck #'s for a SRW indicate 4400 pounds payload and 17k max towing...on paper I'm pretty sure we can live in a trailer that size..just don't want to be hauling 16k pounds and wish I had got the dually even though the numbers are good. On the flip side, have never daily driven a dually and don't want too much inconvenience. Price between DRW and SRW is neglible for the most part.

FWIW, got 20+ years of owning and towing RV's, boats, Jeep trailer etc.

Thanks for all the comments !

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"BTW the RAM 3500 SRW trucks are rated to tow 17K+ 5th wheels. "

Chris

With your rear axle weight ready to tow at 3,760# would you have the rear tire capacity to handle the 17K RV with a 4,250# pin bringing your rear axle weight to 7,800# allowing for 210# transferring to your front axle?
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

stro1965
Explorer
Explorer
Mine has a gvwr of 16,500 and I've had no issues pulling with my 3500 SRW.
2018 Ram DRW 3500 6.7
2019 Keystone Alpine 3021

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Racine96 wrote:
I pull a 12k FW with my 3500 SW RAM with ease.

X2, more or less.
We tow a 11,000#+ 5er with our 2500 with ease in strong cross winds also.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Racine96
Explorer
Explorer
I pull a 12k FW with my 3500 SW RAM with ease.

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
I have pulled my 12k fiver thousands and thousands of miles. Many of them on the windy roads of the great plains. I have absolutely no problem with stability with my 2011 SRW 3500. I am not saying that a dual real wheel wouldn't be more stable but newer SRW's are very stable.
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!