cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tow vehicle as daily driver?

rctoyguy
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning to get our first RV in the next month or so, and we are kinda split between a bumper pull or a 5th wheel. Either way, I will also be buying a truck to pull it since neither of our daily drivers will pull much (Honda Pilot and Jeep Wrangler).
Leaning toward getting a 3/4 ton truck to give us more options for the camper, but the only way I can do a newer truck would be to trade the Jeep, making the truck my daily driver.

So - older (less expensive) truck dedicated as tow vehicle, or newer (more expensive) truck replacing the Jeep as my DD? I drive about 20-25k a year, normal commuting, moderate to warm climate (Alabama)

How many of you drive a 3/4 ton or larger truck as your daily driver?
2013 Ram 2500 Laramie Longhorn 4x4 CC CTD
B&W Patriot 16K
2017 Forest River Surveyor 299RLOK
37 REPLIES 37

Road_Phantom
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a 2014 dodge ram 2500 because of the redesigned suspension. The older trucks rode hard unless you got a long bed four door model. My new truck is my only driver and rides great compared to the older models.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ever consider geting your self a used cheap to run small banger for your local commuter car & get yourself a much newer much nicer truck for your travels & times when the truck is really needed?

For my home car I have an 11 year old Toyota Yaris. Never done anything to it but change 1 set of plugs & change the oil & filter on a regular basis. Drives like an oversized gocart but for 30 minutes max per trip I sure don't need anything else. 35MPG is sweet too.

The truck is a different story. We spend alot of time & drive many miles in that truck.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

ramgunner
Explorer
Explorer
rctoyguy wrote:
So - older (less expensive) truck dedicated as tow vehicle, or newer (more expensive) truck replacing the Jeep as my DD? I drive about 20-25k a year, normal commuting, moderate to warm climate (Alabama)

We went from a 1999 TJ to a 2014 Ram 3500 DRW. Much larger vehicle that can't go everywhere the Jeep did. I wouldn't want to hang it from a winch-line going up a waterfall. It will tow far more than the Jeep, holds a lot more inside, and we have a 2014 Polaris RZR800EPS for going off-road.

I drive the Ram every day, including through a narrow security gate a couple of times a day. It's not as nimble as the Jeep, but it tows our home (a 2016 Grand Design Momentum 385TH) and works great for us.
Editor - http://www.RamGunner.com / http://www.MomentumGunner.com
2014 Ram 3500 Tradesman/CTD/AISIN/4.10/4WD/CC/LB/DRW/VHF/UHF/APRS/CB/SCANNER
Grand Design Momentum 385TH (Polaris RZR800/VHF/UHF/HF)

SkiSmuggs
Explorer
Explorer
While not part of the plan, my 2015 F350 diesel has become my daily driver for a 76 mile round trip commute at 18-19.5 mpg. I had a 2002 Subaru as a DD and winter beater, but had to give it to my daughter when hers crapped the bed.
I just hadn't figured on driving the truck on winter roads to protect it from chemicals, but I retire in a few months so this should be the only winter driving it gets.
2015 F350 XLT PSD 6.7 Crew Cab, Andersen Ultimate hitch
2012 Cougar High Country 299RKS 5th wheel, Mor/Ryde pinbox, 300w of solar

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
I love my F-260, I Hate it as a daily driver. Uses more gas, not parking lot friendly, won't fit in my garage, and it won't fit into a lot of parking decks that a F-150 will fit into (ask me how I know this). If I could I would get an F-150 but it's just not in the cards right now.

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
I drive 07 Chevy diesel as my daily driver/tow vehicle. I enjoy driving it.
LBZ - Stealth TH - RZR 900 4 - Honda 450X - Paddleboarder - Fisherman - Kayaker

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
rctoyguy wrote:
We are planning to get our first RV in the next month or so, and we are kinda split between a bumper pull or a 5th wheel. Either way, I will also be buying a truck to pull it since neither of our daily drivers will pull much (Honda Pilot and Jeep Wrangler).
Leaning toward getting a 3/4 ton truck to give us more options for the camper, but the only way I can do a newer truck would be to trade the Jeep, making the truck my daily driver.

I grew up farming. I didn't have a car until I got married the first time. ๐Ÿ™‚ I'd =rather= drive a truck, but my Civic was necessary when gas was $3 and diesel was even higher and I had a 50 mile RT commute.

First thing you need to figure out is what kind of camping you're going to do. If you're a weekend warrior, with occasional longer trips, go with a gasser. If you're in for the long haul, then seriously consider a diesel. Gassers are cheaper to buy and maintain and they'll have a higher payload than the same truck with a diesel. Second, figure out what RV you want =before= you buy the truck. Never forget that it's what you can =carry=, not what you can =tow=, when considering FWs. TTs are a different story, since you can use a weight distributing hitch. If you like a larger RV, especially FWs, then don't ignore 1T trucks; they usually aren't that much more expensive. If you keep your RV wants reasonable, then you can easily handle a decent-sized FW with a SRW and not have the need for a dually.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

b_pilot
Explorer
Explorer
I drive my 3500 GMC Duramax dually as a daily driver. It is my tow vehicle for my 5th wheel but I use it as my daily transportation. Wife has her own car. I am retired but even before I retired I drove my 3/4 ton truck to work.

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
2007 3500 with Cummins 5.9L daily driver and dedicated tow vehicle

Same conversation yesterday........HERE

2005 CTD 3500 QC daily driver and tow vehicle for 5th wheel - (both since 2005).

OP - playing devil's advocate -
when considering a bumper pull -vs- a 5th wheel, keep in mind you can tow most bumper pulls with a *large* SUV if desired.
(Chevy Suburban, etc.)

Also - *if* you get in a jam - and need a friend to tow you....
he or she doesn't need a pickup - just a substantial vehicle with a 2" receiver...:W

~

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
Getting an older dedicated tow vehicle isn't going to save you anything. The extra insurance and maintenance costs to keep a 3rd vehicle will be much higher than a little extra fuel driving a bigger truck daily.

I inherited a 4cyl Camry and started driving it to work daily while my truck sat parked in the drive. The insurance plus oil changes and regular upkeep added $150 to my monthly expenses. I could buy a lot of gas for that. After 3 months I sold the Camry. Not driving the truck regularly wasn't good for it either.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Before retirement, I drove my two different F350 longbed crewcab diesel SRWs about 25,000 miles per year as my DD. Still do but the yearly miles are closer to 10,000 now.

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
I had my new 4x4 F350 diesel dually for 6 months as a daily driver before I went full time (now it is obviously my DD). During that time I drove 60 miles/day just back and forth to work - so about 10-12k during that time period including other travel.

I traded in my 6 year old Honda with 180,000 miles on it (still ran perfectly).

In your situation I would get a dedicated older truck and use it only for towing. You will drive 100-125,000 miles in the next 5 years - sounds like mostly highway. Why not put all those miles on a vehicle that is much cheaper to run and maintain and that you already own ? Just as an example, you may very well wear out 2 sets of tires by the 125k mark on a truck. But I could get 100k miles out of a set of (cheaper) tires on my Honda. Will your new truck be a 4x4 ? If so, why put 125,000 miles on a 4x4 drivetrain if you don't have to - and yes, I do know about lock out hubs.

If you decide on a 5th wheel, you may very well get a long bed truck. Also will have the hitch in the bed. Maybe an aux fuel tank/tool box. Will just be easier to drive your current vehicle as a daily driver.

Just my .02

Tim

riggsp
Explorer
Explorer
Use my 2004 Ram 2500 CTD as a tow vehicle and a daily driver...only real problem is some parking lots when they are busy, so I just pick a spot a little further away and enjoy the exercise.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
If your even thinking fifth wheel, do yourself a BIG favor and go with a 3500 truck. Especially if your considering a fiver over around 10,000 GVWR.

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
I drive my 08' 3500 DRW from Talladega to Jacksonville daily, 38 miles each way a averaging 16.9 mpg every other week and drive my 09 Honda Odyssey on the opposite weeks averaging 23 mpg.

Two years ago I purchased the 3500 for $29000. Fully loaded, 108000 miles. Two years later only maintenance has been done with zero repairs needed.

We couldn't justify having just the truck as we use the van for family trips and hauling our two big dogs. Wife drives a Lincoln as her daily driver and she refuses to drive the truck and her drive is only seven miles each way.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian