cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tow vehicle for 5er

Tim_Nowicki
Explorer
Explorer
Got this fifth wheel, that maxes out at 15,000 LBS. Looking for a truck to tow it with. Kinda confused on this. Not having much luck on crunching the weight rating numbers of trucks (towing capacity) Must not be doing it right. Looking for a ten year old truck max. What model trucks are you guys using to tow a 15,000 LB 5er? thank you
27 REPLIES 27

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Pin weight is always a concern, with a heavy FW. An older DRW may be able to carry the 3K pin weight, but likely won't have enough GCWR, due to a less capable drive train. The transmissions, cooling system, and other running gear were the weak points. With an older, tired 10-15 year old truck, you certainly would not want to push the limit of listed GCWR.

Jerry

Tim_Nowicki
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys for all the replies. Still would like to hear from others about their trucks past or present. Need to find something by springtime

Tim

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
My 2004.5 Ram 3500 dually with a 5.9 Cummins, 3.73 axle, does not have the numbers to support a 15,000# fifth wheel. Gross combined weight rating is 21,000# and truck with passengers and hitch is 8,000# leaving 13,000# for the trailer. If considering a Ram you might want to look newer.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
With a big block that old and towing 15K pounds, think in terms of 5-6 MPG. If your going that old like I said your only best choice is a 5.9L Cummins. Ford 7.3s were pretty good, but still not as good as the Cummins. GM never had a reliable diesel motor until they partenered with Isuzu to market the Duramax. Gas motors can be made to work, but going 5 years newer and getting a diesel would be far more satisfying.
If I remember right the 2000 GM duallies only had a 10,000 GVWR, maybe even lower. Leaving you exactly zero room for towing.

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
Don't be fooled into thinking something below 2008 can handle that weight comfortably. You said ten years.. they made they better and better to handle the extra weight of multiple slides and extra length. My 2000 SRW balked like a beast at hauling uphill and down in first gear. Not really much fun at all slowing traffic both ways. The engine is the same in a DRW of that age, and the brakes are too, so get the truck to handle your load.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

Tim_Nowicki
Explorer
Explorer
Gas mileage not even a factor. Lookin at my options to SAFELY tow a 15,000LB 5er. Heck I've been doin 6-7 MPG for the last 25 years on my motorhomes!!!
Tim

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
2000 Chevy? NO dont do it. The only real motor available would be the 454 gas motor. They were gas hogs. If your going that old, then your best choice would be a 5.9L Cummins Dodge manual trans.

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
The newer trucks tow much better because they also brake better with their engine brakes. It's stopping power that really controls how you go downhills, and that is the critical question IMHO. When you go downhill, you have to rely only on your engine to slow you down, because if you think the brakes will, they might fade away. Choose wisely with that weight behind you, there is nothing quite like trying to slow down on a steep downhill section of the road.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

Tim_Nowicki
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I am for sure getting a dually. Where my confusion comes in is GCWR. Not being able to find good info on that. I have seen info on trucks that are listed with a GCWR of 16,000LBS. the numbers don't seem right.
Just for information sake, I will be looking at a 2000 Chevy 3500 dually. Would a truck like that be good to tow a 15,000LB 5er? Is my main concern here pin weight??.

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
I'm pulling our 14600lb FW with our 2008 GMC 3500 DRW. Purchased the truck used four years ago for $28000 With 98000 miles. Still going strong with only having to replace the number 8 glow plug last winter. Shop around, it took me two years to find this truck.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
IMHO on a ten year old truck you should be looking at a dually. Newer trucks upped the ratings numbers and with a two or three year old truck you might get by with a SRW. Heck a properly equipped 1500 could tow a 15,000 pound load. The issue with fifth wheels is pin weight. Accepted number for fivers is pin weight equals approx 20% of the trailers true weight. Lacking that, then lets assume your 15K fiver is GVWR. So..... that would give you a pin weight of around 3,000 pounds+/-. Can a SRW handle that much? As another example a ten year old 3500SRW Dodge Ram decently equipped will scale around 8000 pounds ready to travel, and have a GVWR of 10,000 pounds. You do the math and decide.

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I agree that a 1 ton SRW is all that is required. An older Ram would work....an '06 or newer Duramax would work better and an '11 or newer Powerstroke or '13 and newer Cummins would be a huge improvement.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

fnswhitfield
Explorer
Explorer
I would suggest a 1 ton diesel, with a transmission having at least 5 speeds, with capability of engine braking going downhill. My tv is not a dually, my 5er is about the size of yours, no problems with handling.