cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Towing Cyclone 4100 King

Boudreaux
Explorer
Explorer
I’m picking up my Cyclone 4100 King Friday. 2 of my buddies told me I will not have any problem pulling it. I have a 2011 Ram 2500 4x4 diesel. A guy I work with pulls his 40’ Raptor with his 2007 Chevy 2500 with no problem. I will be pulling in Louisiana and may do the Disney World thing I’m sure. Did I over load my truc for my first camper?
65 REPLIES 65

schwipps324
Explorer
Explorer
Purchased a 4100 King yesterday. Not picking it up until next week. Will be pulling it with a 450, a srw 2500 doesn't sound like a safe idea. Your stopping power may not be there if needed.

gpshemi
Explorer
Explorer
Just a correction to earlier posts...Federal Law only applies to commercial vehicles. The feds defer limits and CDL requireemnts to the states for RV's...

Door stickers are a non-enforcable manufacturers rating by law. However, that doesn't exclude the possiblity of a lawsuit, but with regards to that...nothing is going to stop a lawsuit. You can sue for whatever whenever...doesn't mean you'll win.
GPSHEMI

06' 3500 Dodge Ram Megacab 4x4 w/ bombed 5.9L
18K Pullrite SuperGlide w/super rails
2010 Heartland Cyclone 3612

csdavis62
Explorer
Explorer
As a new Cyclone 4100 owner who has a new 2013 Ram 3500 as well. We did our first break in weekend and pulled about 45 miles many through very hilly territory I can tell you it is awesome. More than enough power, stable, comfortable, and confidence inspiring.

I can not over recommend the 2013 with the DRW's and Aisin transmission. It pulls the 4100 like a champ and I look forward to heading to the Keys this fall....

Scott

texasclarks
Explorer
Explorer
Boudreaux wrote:
Boudreaux wrote:
I’m picking up my Cyclone 4100 King Friday. 2 of my buddies told me I will not have any problem pulling it. I have a 2011 Ram 2500 4x4 diesel. A guy I work with pulls his 40’ Raptor with his 2007 Chevy 2500 with no problem. I will be pulling in Louisiana and may do the Disney World thing I’m sure. Did I over load my truc for my first camper?

Here is my Update. I went with the 2013 Ram 3500 DRW with the new Aisin transmission with the 4:10 gears. I can tow 29,000 pounds now. Don’t worry I’m only pulling my Toy Hauler about 17K. Most people never think about over loading their tires. 3K pounds in the back of single rear axle is at its max weight. I needed Duel wheels. I was just waiting for the new Ram.
New truck with more power and my note stayed the same. Not bad.
Thanks to all the people who gave me great info.

Thank you for the update and glad you got the TH and TV you wanted! I am sure that new Ram 3500 DRW 6.7/Aisin will work out well for you!

I am a bit jealous...but not jealous of your payments 😉
Posts are for entertainment purposes only and should not be construed as endorsement or recommendations. YMMV!

Steven & Stacie, plus 2 ('02 & '07)
'04 Suburban 2500, Quad Seats, 8.1L, 3.73
'09 Rockwood 8313SS

Texas not just a State, but a State of mind!

Doughboy12
Explorer
Explorer
Boudreaux wrote:
Boudreaux wrote:

Here is my Update. I went with the 2013 Ram 3500 DRW with the new Aisin transmission with the 4:10 gears. I can tow 29,000 pounds now. Don’t worry I’m only pulling my Toy Hauler about 17K. Most people never think about over loading their tires. 3K pounds in the back of single rear axle is at its max weight. I needed Duel wheels. I was just waiting for the new Ram.

Never heard of no Aisian transmission...wth is that?

Boudreaux
Explorer
Explorer
Boudreaux wrote:

taken
Explorer
Explorer
I think the OP has made his decision, but just in case someone else reads this and is in a similar situation, I thought I would clear something up. On the deposit issue. It is 100% illegal for a dealer to keep a deposit on an in stock unit. Factory orders, yes. On the lot, no. Anyways, congrats on the new toyhauler and dually. Heartland is a great brand IMHO. Also, if upgrading your TV, a DRW is the way to go. Not sure on the new Chevy's and Dodges, but Ford SRW 350s and 250s are IDENTICAL other than the helper spring and taller block under the spring pack on the 350's. Same axles, brakes, trans, etc. Oh, and there is no such thing as "show prices." The dealer can give you that deal at any time. It's just a sales technique to make buyers think they better hurry and make a purchase before the show is over. Same price on Monday with some negotiation.
Regards, Rodney
TV - 2017 F350 SRW CC SB 4X4 6.7
TH - 2015 FR XLR 395AMP

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
2011 and newer F350 Duallys have a GCWR of 30,000lbs. My 2012 Dually weighs 8300lbs full of fuel and my 5er hitch.
30,000-8300=21,700lbs available for trailer and passengers.

Plenty of truck for that trailer.
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

csdavis62
Explorer
Explorer
This discussion is timely and interesting, I am looking at trading in the 32' Class C on a 4100 King and I've headed in the other direction. I don't have the baggage of owning a truck today so I am looking at the 2013 Dodge 3500 DRW and am opting for the highest towing capacities (nearly 30K lbs.) I can order. I am finding that the difference in cost is negligible when looking at a new truck. However the weight issue did put me off looking at a used truck early on. I had to look at a minimum of a 2011 Ford F350 DRW to get to the 18K lbs. wet weight of the unit. Fords 2010 model maxes out at around 16.7K lbs. with the right rear end.... I understand both Dodge and Chevy post the same limits as Ford prior to 2011 where weights jumped up quite a bit...

We had a hail storm here last year and just about every roof in our end of town needed replaced. It was a boon for roofers but 3/4 ton trucks with tandem axle trailers overloaded to the hilt with old roof shingles were everywhere. I was going down the highway near my exit on afternoon and one of those rigs came over a rise on the expressways where there is a dip in the pavement which cause the rig to begin to whip and within seconds he was sideways in the grass with no control whatsoever. He nearly rolled the whole outfit as I watched in horror as this happened in font of me.

After seeing that I will never put my families safety at risk by overloading a tow vehicle. What I witnessed convinced me that when overloaded your situation can go from normal to way bad in a split second.

My observations and 2 cents.....

Scott

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
azdryheat wrote:
Unless you're a commercial operator, nobody gives a rat's behind how heavy you are.
I suspect that statement is MOSTLY true but definitely not COMPLETELY true.

MadMav
Explorer
Explorer
Go with the dually and enjoy some serious piece of mind.

On them towing it with the 2500 for the test drive. Yes, it will do it, and do it faster than a dually. Same power, less weight....but they were overloaded on the truck. It isn't all about the power and brakes are usually the same. It's usually about safe carrying capacity; which the 2500 doesn't have.

Mav
"A fifth wheel trailer is a bi-level towable mobile home."

mpierce
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
Go with the DRW. Remember that you were towing an empty TH with no fluids, toys or personal belongings. My bumper pull TH was 7500 lbs empty - Once I filled and loaded, I was at 11,200 lbs.

Exactly! You will add 1500# or so to the hitch, and 3-4,000# total, with toys etc., at a minimum.

You will be glad for the dually, especially as it sounds like a good deal. Also, the 2012 brake controller works much better than the '11.

Bedlam
Go with the DRW. Remember that you were towing an empty TH with no fluids, toys or personal belongings. My bumper pull TH was 7500 lbs empty - Once I filled and loaded, I was at 11,200 lbs.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Sledge_Hammer
Explorer
Explorer
Boudreaux wrote:
Ok here we go update #1
I went in yesterday and told them my concerns. They said I can go out and pick another camper I like or they can put airbags on my truck for free. We went look and they just had a show this pass weekend, so we will not get the good show prices. The camper selection sucks trying to stay within weights. They really want me to keep the Cyclone. They will put airbags on my truck and help with 10 ply tires. We hooked up to their truck 09 Ram 2500 diesel TWD. We got it up to 80 mph with no swaying and stopped on a dime on the exit. The wind was blowing about 15mph too. We are thinking about keeping it and upgrading the truck. Right now the Ram 3500 dually is 11k off. I can trade my 2011 in and get a 2013 and save $100 a month. I will go test drive the dually Thursday.
Thanks for all the info.

I am glad you are getting it all worked out and will be getting the unit you wanted in the first place.
2013 Fuzion FZ315
2013 Ford F350 DRW

Boudreaux
Explorer
Explorer
Ok here we go update #1
I went in yesterday and told them my concerns. They said I can go out and pick another camper I like or they can put airbags on my truck for free. We went look and they just had a show this pass weekend, so we will not get the good show prices. The camper selection sucks trying to stay within weights. They really want me to keep the Cyclone. They will put airbags on my truck and help with 10 ply tires. We hooked up to their truck 09 Ram 2500 diesel TWD. We got it up to 80 mph with no swaying and stopped on a dime on the exit. The wind was blowing about 15mph too. We are thinking about keeping it and upgrading the truck. Right now the Ram 3500 dually is 11k off. I can trade my 2011 in and get a 2013 and save $100 a month. I will go test drive the dually Thursday.
Thanks for all the info.