cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

towing with 1/2 ton towable trailer.

blacktop
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Cougar lite that weighs 7,000 lbs empty. I load it up to another 800 lbs, so I'm around 8,000 including myself. The hitch weight is around 1200 factory, but I'm sure that's up to 1800 by now.
Presently, I tow with a Dodge 2500 and it doesn't feel the weight behind it. Tows great. I only plan to go to the end of the warranty on this truck and then buy a new one. Next time, I would like to tow with a 1/2 ton for the better ride and price. Anyone towing an 8000 lb 5th wheel with a half ton truck? How well does it tow?
34 REPLIES 34

Shadow_Grey
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
Shadow_Grey wrote:
Been doing it for over 4 years now. 2011 F150 with Ecoboost and 2013 Cougar X-Lite RES29...Been all over the Midwest and East Coast with over 17,000 miles towing and NO problems...consistently +10 mph running down the highways...

I really hope that is a typo and it is +10 MPG, not putting along at 10 mph! :h

Yep...meant to be MPG...
'11 F150 XLT Red Candy Met. Ecoboost 4X4 Screw 5.5', Max Tow,Reese R16k 5th wheel hitch,Ride-Rite Air Springs, E Rated Tires, Extang Cover
'13 Keystone Cougar X-Lite 29RES,triple slides,Mor/Ryde suspension, Reese 5th Airborne Sidewinder, 16" E rated tires

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Shadow_Grey wrote:
Been doing it for over 4 years now. 2011 F150 with Ecoboost and 2013 Cougar X-Lite RES29...Been all over the Midwest and East Coast with over 17,000 miles towing and NO problems...consistently +10 mph running down the highways...

I really hope that is a typo and it is +10 MPG, not putting along at 10 mph! :h
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Shadow_Grey
Explorer
Explorer
Been doing it for over 4 years now. 2011 F150 with Ecoboost and 2013 Cougar X-Lite RES29...Been all over the Midwest and East Coast with over 17,000 miles towing and NO problems...consistently +10 mpg running down the highways...
'11 F150 XLT Red Candy Met. Ecoboost 4X4 Screw 5.5', Max Tow,Reese R16k 5th wheel hitch,Ride-Rite Air Springs, E Rated Tires, Extang Cover
'13 Keystone Cougar X-Lite 29RES,triple slides,Mor/Ryde suspension, Reese 5th Airborne Sidewinder, 16" E rated tires

Kevin_O_
Explorer
Explorer
The F150 with the Max tow and HD payload pkg will handle your trailer with no problem. The problem is trying to find a used F150 with these pkgs. It would be like finding a needle in a haystack. And if you went to order a new F150 with all the towing goodies you will be in the same price range as a new 3/4 ton truck.. Not sure if it would even be worth it?

Kevin
KEVIN :C
DW-Debbie :R
DS-Tyler 11yrs old:D
DD-Makayla 8yrs old:p
MERIDEN,CT
2001 Ford Powerstroke F350 Lariat
2012 Keystone Outback 292BH-OLD
2016 Jayco 29.5BHDS-NEW

jbarkley
Explorer
Explorer
I tow a 7000 # Cougar x-lite similar weight with mu 2014 F150 3.5 ecoboost and have not had any issues. I did add Helwig helper springs to help keep it level. I would love to have a larger truck but then I wouldn't be able to afford a camper. I have logged about 5000 miles this year and have got a average of 11.5 mpg and when I am not towing I get 20 mpg average. See you out there.

mikebte
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO half tons can tow FW but most people that have had a 3/4 don't enjoy a 1/2 once they try it,

They just tow different. A heavy half may do ok. Something with long wheel base. See if there is anyway to test drive the truck loaded?

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
12thgenusa wrote:
RustyJC wrote:
One aspect that never seems to get mentioned on 5th wheel towing with 1/2 ton pickup threads is that 1/2 ton pickups normally have semi-floating rear axles whereas 3/4 ton and up trucks have full-floating rear axles.

Rather than try to explain the critical differences between the two, I'll link to the following WEBPAGE that explains and illustrates both axle designs.

A key difference not mentioned is that breaking a semi-floating axle shaft outboard of the bearing can result in the axle hub and wheel becoming detached from the vehicle, whereas breaking a full-floating axle shaft results only in a loss of drive to that particular wheel which is retained by the hub and bearing arrangement.

Rusty

Which is inconsequential if one stays within the axle ratings.

Perhaps, but the semi-floating design is much less robust and more unforgiving if one doesn't.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"I have also stated before I would much rather see 150/1500 pulling/carrying a 5er slightly over GVWR, and Rear GAWR as long as they had enough wheel and tire capacity than a long 10,000# TT, the 5er will be way more stable"

I COMPLETELY agree!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

12thgenusa
Explorer
Explorer
RustyJC wrote:
One aspect that never seems to get mentioned on 5th wheel towing with 1/2 ton pickup threads is that 1/2 ton pickups normally have semi-floating rear axles whereas 3/4 ton and up trucks have full-floating rear axles.

Rather than try to explain the critical differences between the two, I'll link to the following WEBPAGE that explains and illustrates both axle designs.

A key difference not mentioned is that breaking a semi-floating axle shaft outboard of the bearing can result in the axle hub and wheel becoming detached from the vehicle, whereas breaking a full-floating axle shaft results only in a loss of drive to that particular wheel which is retained by the hub and bearing arrangement.

Rusty

Which is inconsequential if one stays within the axle ratings.

2007 Tundra DC 4X4 5.7, Alcan custom rear springs, 2009 Cougar 245RKS, 370 watts ET solar, Victron BMV-712, Victron SmartSolar 100/30, 200AH LiP04 bank, ProWatt 2000.

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
RustyJC wrote:

Rusty

While I agree on 1/2 tons not being built as strong, when's the last time you read about a newer 1/2 ton axle breaking? JMO but most 1/2 ton RV'ers are weekend warriors. I highly doubt they put 10,000 miles a year towing as full timers.

It's not so much the axle breaking (although that possibility always exists and bears mentioning), it's more about chewing up axle bearings (and the axle shafts themselves, if the manufacturer omits an inner bearing race for cost reasons and elects to run the bearing rollers directly on the axle shaft) under high rear axle GAW conditions such as can be encountered towing a 5th wheel.

Rusty

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
goducks10 wrote:
RustyJC wrote:

Rusty

While I agree on 1/2 tons not being built as strong, when's the last time you read about a newer 1/2 ton axle breaking? JMO but most 1/2 ton RV'ers are weekend warriors. I highly doubt they put 10,000 miles a year towing as full timers.

I gave up on the Full Floating/Semi Floating a while back. I just live with the fact that my with my 2500 i have TWO BIG bearings on each side to support the load rather than one smaller bearing.

That said there are 5ers that can be safely towed within axle capacity with 150/1500's. I have also stated before I would much rather see 150/1500 pulling/carrying a 5er slightly over GVWR, and Rear GAWR as long as they had enough wheel and tire capacity than a long 10,000# TT, the 5er will be way more stable.

BYW; Nice link.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
RustyJC wrote:

Rusty

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
You WILL regret going backwards. Next truck get the 2500 RAM with factory air.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer
having towed heavy with my Previous 2011 F150 EB Max tow and done the same with my new F250 i'm here to say that the difference in how it tows is pretty substantial, even more so when its windy, raining or trying to tame the load in the hills with a much lighter truck.

You won't find me in a 1/2 ton again for a long time, on any RV loger than 25ft or 5500lbs or heavier the 3/4 ton + just plain works better and is more enjoyable. My 3/4 ton diesel doubled as my DD and its quite enjoyable when not towing.
TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion
On Order - 2022 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer

Rusty

B&W RVK3600