cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Towing with Silverado

polishdon
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking at purchasing a Stryker 2812. The dry weight of the hauler is 6925 lbs, GVWR is 9999 lbs.

My tow vehicle is a 2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab, short box with the 3.42 axle ratio and 5.3 liter V8. Per the specs of my vehicle I can tow up to 9500 lbs, but I'm worried about how it's going to handle pulling such a large trailer.

Any thoughts or advice?
40 REPLIES 40

riwolfman
Explorer
Explorer
had a 1500 Chevy 5.3 that we pulled a two horse trailer with. It was fine here in Rhode Island with our rolling hills, but in Pa. every hill it shifted out of overdrive and the engine screamed all the way to the top. Gas milage was bad, and the shifting and engine noise sucked. If you get a 2500 or 1500 with the 6 liter engine you will not have these problems and will actually get better milage. My son has a new 6 liter 1500 Silverado, tows a two horse with dressing room and gets over 20mpg when not towing. I, myself have a 3500 Denali diesel now for the toyhauler.

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
Maxing out anything is never good.

Good job on moving up to a bigger truck.

Folks can try and "justify" their weights how they want, you can never have enough truck.
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
jareddustin wrote:
the reese one is just a sleeve that slides in, and nothing to hold it in place so putting in a big hitch is not fun when the sleeve slides back as you are putting in the hitch. the GM one fits the receiver and has a lip on the front so it does not move and the holes line up. the one I had fit very tight so no extra movement, I had to use a rubber mallet and some wd40 to get it out.

That "lip" is VERY important, reinforces the sleeve where there is a lot of stress, I wouldn't want to use a sleeve without that lip for heavy towing. If I had a large TT I'd upgrade my insert/head, but that's just me.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

jareddustin
Explorer
Explorer
the reese one is just a sleeve that slides in, and nothing to hold it in place so putting in a big hitch is not fun when the sleeve slides back as you are putting in the hitch. the GM one fits the receiver and has a lip on the front so it does not move and the holes line up. the one I had fit very tight so no extra movement, I had to use a rubber mallet and some wd40 to get it out.

jlud
Explorer
Explorer
Pay attention to your tow rating...some manufactures lower your weight rating if using the reducer and you can get some small additional movement.

polishdon
Explorer
Explorer
jareddustin wrote:

something small I did not know when I went from a 1500 to a 2500...the receiver hitch is now a 2 1/2 inch, since you are getting form a dealer make sure they give you a reducer sleeve. I bought a reese one and didn't really like it so I went on ebay and got the GM oem one, so much better. but now I am just changing my shanks to the 2 1/2 so I don't have to worry about a sleeve. also when I bought my TH I told the dealer about 40 times I needed a 2 1/2 shank with the weight distro system I bought from them. when I went to pick up my trailer of course they gave me a 2" and said they did not make a 2 1/2. glad I put the sleeve in the truck just in case. so if they give you the same line tell them they are full of it.

Thanks for the advice. I bought the truck used and figured I'd just pick up a Reese sleeve, good to know the GM are better. I figure when I do finally purchase a TH I will get the 2.5" shank.

jareddustin
Explorer
Explorer
polishdon wrote:
Picking up my 2014 2500 Duramax this afternoon, thank you all for your advice. I love finding new forums that convince me to buy new toys. lol

something small I did not know when I went from a 1500 to a 2500...the receiver hitch is now a 2 1/2 inch, since you are getting form a dealer make sure they give you a reducer sleeve. I bought a reese one and didn't really like it so I went on ebay and got the GM oem one, so much better. but now I am just changing my shanks to the 2 1/2 so I don't have to worry about a sleeve. also when I bought my TH I told the dealer about 40 times I needed a 2 1/2 shank with the weight distro system I bought from them. when I went to pick up my trailer of course they gave me a 2" and said they did not make a 2 1/2. glad I put the sleeve in the truck just in case. so if they give you the same line tell them they are full of it.

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
polishdon wrote:
Picking up my 2014 2500 Duramax this afternoon, thank you all for your advice. I love finding new forums that convince me to buy new toys. lol

And WE LOVE spending other people's money!

Now go get that Toy Hauler you want!
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

polishdon
Explorer
Explorer

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
polishdon wrote:

I'll have to look at my hitch, but based on all of this information, I'm thinking I need a bigger truck, or I'll end up beating the hell out of my current one. I'm looking at a couple 2500 HD with the diesel.

now you're talking, you'll be MUCH happier, I know i am.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

polishdon
Explorer
Explorer
lawrosa wrote:
And as was stated here what does the hitch on your truck say max weight distribution?

It may be do able.. I would opt for 1200 lb bars..

Example

http://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distribution/Pro-Series/PS49904.html

I'll have to look at my hitch, but based on all of this information, I'm thinking I need a bigger truck, or I'll end up beating the hell out of my current one. I'm looking at a couple 2500 HD with the diesel.

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
And as was stated here what does the hitch on your truck say max weight distribution?

It may be do able.. I would opt for 1200 lb bars..

Example

http://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distribution/Pro-Series/PS49904.html
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh

polishdon
Explorer
Explorer
lawrosa wrote:
Now what do your tires say on the side wall?

Max psi and max weight???

2469 lbs at 44 PSI

OutdoorPhotogra
Explorer
Explorer
I've run the numbers every which way but loose and 6,500 and around 25' is the max for my 1/2 ton which is rated for 9,500 lb tow rating and I have about 1800 cargo. My hitch is limited to 1,000 lb TW but that's about right for the other limitations anyway.

I'd get a bigger truck if possible. You'll be less likely to be dissapointed than buying a smaller TH than you want or by towing said TH with the Silverado.
2008 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 5th Wheel
F-250 6.2 Gasser

Former PUP camper (Rockwood Popup Freedom 1980)