cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trailer sway milestone 377mb

fowlthing
Explorer
Explorer
2020 Model. Pulling with 2021 Ram 2500 Diesel. Have 3000 miles plus with no issues.

Now at speeds as low as 30 mph can hit a bump and side to side rocking translates into trailer sway. Worse going uphill. Had a trip this weekend and put two new tires on the rear axle. My tire shop only had two.

Is this axles out of alignment?? Shocks on the truck? ( 30k miles on truck).

I pulled the tires off and bearings are good. Measured and axles are same distance between tires. Did not measure to the pin.

Tread is still good on front axle. And was good on the two that were replaced. Wear is even. Could not detect that they were out of round when jacked up and spun the wheels.

Any help is welcome. Have years experience of towing trailers. The sway is dangerous. Not a slight annoyance. Thanks.
2017 Ford 350 SRW
Grand Design Solitude 375RES
may switch to a Ram
29 REPLIES 29

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Please see any new replies to your topic here. This thread is closed.
barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
ford truck guy wrote:
^^ BUT, The OP stated that his truck is handling weird UNLOAED now as well....

I know he is overweight, but that would not effect the empty ride.. Unless he broke something ?? :h

For sure!! If empty truck is not right, likely that the issue is there, and should be easier to diagnose.

Could even be a tire, broken belt, etc?

Jerry

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would check the front and rear sway bar mounts on the truck.

^^ BUT, The OP stated that his truck is handling weird UNLOAED now as well....

I know he is overweight, but that would not effect the empty ride.. Unless he broke something ?? :h
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
afidel wrote:
Fisherman wrote:
Possibly a broken spring on the trailer.

That's my vote, or spring perch. I'd investigate everything in the running gear including running each wheel up a ramp to see how the suspension and equalizer reacts.

This is exactly how my trailer was acting when some welds on the insufficient side to side braces between the frame broke. It was so unstable from side to side it was scary to pull and I could see the axles moving from side to side when turning corners on the highway.

I had a great fabricator install 3 - 6"x4" structural steel tubes welded between all 3 sets of spring perches and he reinforced them with 2" square steel tubes up to the frame in 6 spots complete with large square pads welded to the frame. He did a great job, and cinched the trailer corner to corner with come alongs to ensure that it was perfectly square before starting. The trailer is super stable now and tows better than it did when I bought it.

OP, check your spring perches, frame, and springs, etc. I would bet that something is broken and causing this issue. Please let us know what you find.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
I wonder if there isn't an issue with 5th wheel overhang structure. You wouldn't be able to easily see a problem, but if some of the reinforcing is cracked or broken, it might lead to sway issues.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
fowlthing wrote:
And the truck is handling weird unloaded.

I would start here. Off hand, I think you should have kept the F350 but I am biased.
2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

fowlthing
Explorer
Explorer
That is not true. With the holiday etc... haven't had time to weigh the camper and trailer.. it seems something has broken since it sways at such low speeds and worse uphill. And the truck is handling weird unloaded.

Forums like this help because it can point to look in places that are not obvious. This thread is only a few days old... started it on a trip out of town. And I have responded to the weight issue as best I can at this time.
2017 Ford 350 SRW
may switch to a Ram

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
joebedford wrote:
"Have you weighed the truck and trailer when loaded for travel"

I'm guessing that OP has not responded to any of the questions about the weight that weight is in fact the problem.

I am thinking he does not want to know how bad off he really is on the truck. But ignoring the issue does not make it any better.

We have all seen people posting that keep looking for someone to tell them that all is fine, just add air bags and truck on.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

fowlthing
Explorer
Explorer
Have not weighed yet. But load has not changed in 3000 miles of towing. Will weigh and post back
2017 Ford 350 SRW
may switch to a Ram

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
"Have you weighed the truck and trailer when loaded for travel"

I'm guessing that OP has not responded to any of the questions about the weight that weight is in fact the problem.

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have you weighed the truck and trailer when loaded for travel to see where you are on weights and weight limits. With this information, make sure the truck and trailer are level and tire pressures are correct for the loads.

Without this information, everyone is shooting in the wind in the dark.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

fowlthing
Explorer
Explorer
Trailer is level. Have tried raising and lowering the pin in the truck. Didn’t help
2017 Ford 350 SRW
may switch to a Ram

fowlthing
Explorer
Explorer
No. Changed the tires after it started as a possible solution
2017 Ford 350 SRW
may switch to a Ram