cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travel day - 26 MPH winds forecast

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are scheduled to travel from the San Antonio area to Sonora, TX, on Saturday with the rig in the signature. There's another front coming through and winds for most of the day are forecast to be in the 24 - 26 MPH range. We need to be on schedule Sunday... would you leave tomorrow (and leave a paid-for night) to spend Friday and Saturday nights in Sonora while the front blows through or would you drive Saturday in the wind? I've towed for 40 years, but I'm new to something this high-profile. Any and all perspectives are appreciated.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015
32 REPLIES 32

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is why you have a fiver.

GO!
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Second Chance wrote:
We are scheduled to travel from the San Antonio area to Sonora, TX, on Saturday with the rig in the signature. There's another front coming through and winds for most of the day are forecast to be in the 24 - 26 MPH range. We need to be on schedule Sunday... would you leave tomorrow (and leave a paid-for night) to spend Friday and Saturday nights in Sonora while the front blows through or would you drive Saturday in the wind? I've towed for 40 years, but I'm new to something this high-profile. Any and all perspectives are appreciated.

Rob

What =direction= are the winds forecast? If they're tailwinds, then drive! Your wallet will thank you. :B Seriously, unless you're really timid, I wouldn't worry about it. Leave a couple hours earlier and drive slower...unless they =are= from the rear. If you happen to get their a bit early, set up then take a nap. :B

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a Grand Design 337 owner also. I just towed mine for about 100 miles with steady side winds at 25mph, and gusts to 35mph. I could hardly feel it. If it starts gusting over 40mph, I stop. Good luck on the trip.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
If we didn't travel with 26 mph wind in the mid west we wouldn't travel at all. I really don't notice 25 mph winds. When they get over that is when I begin to notice. On I 80 you will almost always get 20 + mph winds on a daily basis. A 5th wheel handles the wind a lot better than a travel trailer. JMHO
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
For piece of mind fill up the water tank. A 5er, any RV really, is not much more than an empty box with lots of windage. The more weight that can be put down low the better to lower the center of gravity. Any increase in fuel burned is well worth the added stability.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Splashers3
Explorer
Explorer
If you must keep schedule leave as planned. While on the road take your cue from the Semis...if you see them pulled over, do the same. Of course only you know your comfort level.

Good Luck.
2017 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali, C/C, D/A, DRW, w/40gal Aux tank, 18K B&W Patriot.
2019 Cedar Creek Hathaway, 34RL2 - w/Bells & Whistles and disc brakes
Traded 2009 Cedar Creek Silverback, GII, 32 WRL

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
Start thinking about moving up to a one ton dually and laugh at the wind..

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Old-Biscuit wrote:
I tow a 14K tall 5vr (13' 4") with an SRW truck. 5vr is a big wind sail but have had no issues in winds until they get above 40 MPH

You 5vr is listed as 12' 6" and with that 2013 2500 SRW shouldn't be an issue either.

BUT ----you stated you HAVE to be on schedule Sunday.
When we traveled full time and had a 'schedule' we always erred on the side of caution. How much is Fridays CG fee that you would forfeit?

Friday's CG fee is only $24 - small change in the big scheme of things. The world wouldn't to come to an end - and we could probably get back on schedule anyway since we only schedule about 4 hours of driving per day.

As Rusty mentioned having grown up in the "Twin Cities" (OK - he only mentioned Odessa), my young adult years were spent in Amarillo, and we all know how the wind blows in the panhandle!

I think we'll be prudent and leave as early as possible on Saturday. I have a good feel for the rig under way and, if I get uncomfortable, we'll pull off. We'll have plenty of time and, if we have to pull off, that's OK. We have the phone number for our stop-over in Sonora and the winds are forecast to slack off quite a bit in the evening. Tail winds aren't illegal, and neither is driving 55 MPH...

Thanks, everyone.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
RustyJC wrote:
filrupmark wrote:
Is it against the law to have a tailwind ?

Must be. In 20 years of towing 5th wheels, I don't think I've ever had a tailwind.

Rusty

It must be illegal. I've only had one tail wind. I was traveling east across Ohio. And I was in my Suburban, not the Southwind.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
I tow a 14K tall 5vr (13' 4") with an SRW truck. 5vr is a big wind sail but have had no issues in winds until they get above 40 MPH

You 5vr is listed as 12' 6" and with that 2013 2500 SRW shouldn't be an issue either.

BUT ----you stated you HAVE to be on schedule Sunday.
When we traveled full time and had a 'schedule' we always erred on the side of caution. How much is Fridays CG fee that you would forfeit?
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

momentum_rv
Explorer
Explorer
Tailwind? I don't think they make those!
2015 Grand Design Momentum 385TH
2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
I would take the advice of most of the posters and go for it, but I would also try to leave earlier so I had a little bit of wiggle room in the schedule. If the winds become a concern, pull over and spend the night and go the next day. That's why you are pulling that thing, to have your home with you.

Safe travels.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
filrupmark wrote:
Is it against the law to have a tailwind ?

Must be. In 20 years of towing 5th wheels, I don't think I've ever had a tailwind.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

filrupmark
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't worry. Wind doesn't seem to bother us, just our fuel mileage. Is it against the law to have a tailwind ?
2004 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel, Bilstein 4600 Shocks, 16K B&W Patriot, Michelin M&S
2014 Augusta Flex AF34RS Trailair Tri Glide pinbox,
JT Strong Arms , Bridgestone R250'S, KYB Monotube Gas shocks
Finally a smooth ride !!!

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
Wind of that speed should not be a concern. But, as you travel, if you feel the least bit concerned then immediately get off the road and find a good spot to wait it out. Safety is much more important than any schedule.
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"