cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

triple axle toy hauler

twbronco
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking at purchasing a triple axle fifth wheel toy hauler. Currently I pull a double axle toy hauler and my question is how much of a difference does the third axle make? The new toy hauler is about 39 feet long.
22 REPLIES 22

christopherglen
Explorer
Explorer
I have found fuel economy is more of a function of aerodynamics then weight.
2007 Chevrolet 3500 CC/LB Duramax/Dually 4X4 Mine r4tech, Reese Signature Series 18k +slider, duratrac, Titan 62 gallon, diamond eye, Cheetah 64
2011 Keystone Fusion 405 TrailAir & Triglide, Centerpoint, gen-turi, 3 PVX-840T, XANTREX FREEDOM SW3012, G614

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
I have a tandem and a triple axle toy hauler and actually get better fuel mileage with the heavier triple axle hauler weighing about #5000 more than the smaller one.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't think it's strictly the turning radius, but rather where the tires are going to run. You're more likely to run over curbs and campsite corners with a triple axle than a double axle.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

christopherglen
Explorer
Explorer
westernrvparkowner wrote:
We have had to adjust our site occupancy guidelines to account for triple axle rigs. Several sites we used to consider appropriate for all rigs are now restricted to "no triple axle fifth wheels". Unfortunately, triple axle rigs require a country mile to make a turn and we have gotten tired of the need for them to drive across the fronts of neighboring sites to make a turn any other rig can easily make staying on the driving surface. The sum total of all that is we only have a very few sites in which we allow triple axle fivers and if they are sold out, we won't accommodate them in any other site. So there is at least a few parks in the world that having a triple axle rig will make it harder to get a site.

As far as turning radius, what is the difference between a 40' 2 axle and a 40' 3 axle?
2007 Chevrolet 3500 CC/LB Duramax/Dually 4X4 Mine r4tech, Reese Signature Series 18k +slider, duratrac, Titan 62 gallon, diamond eye, Cheetah 64
2011 Keystone Fusion 405 TrailAir & Triglide, Centerpoint, gen-turi, 3 PVX-840T, XANTREX FREEDOM SW3012, G614

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cool, my mistake completely. And I've put the Dexter EZ-Flex kit on my triple axle so you'd think I'd know better. ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks for the correction.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
fj12ryder wrote:
Just a clarification: I've seen several references to "HD Shackles", but the shackles are what the springs bolt into and are welded to the frame. Are we talking about removing, cutting/grinding off the welded on shackles, or are we talking about replacing the bolts and equalizers?
Those are "spring hangers". Shackles are the links between the springs and equalizers.

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
We have had to adjust our site occupancy guidelines to account for triple axle rigs. Several sites we used to consider appropriate for all rigs are now restricted to "no triple axle fifth wheels". Unfortunately, triple axle rigs require a country mile to make a turn and we have gotten tired of the need for them to drive across the fronts of neighboring sites to make a turn any other rig can easily make staying on the driving surface. The sum total of all that is we only have a very few sites in which we allow triple axle fivers and if they are sold out, we won't accommodate them in any other site. So there is at least a few parks in the world that having a triple axle rig will make it harder to get a site.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just a clarification: I've seen several references to "HD Shackles", but the shackles are what the springs bolt into and are welded to the frame. Are we talking about removing, cutting/grinding off the welded on shackles, or are we talking about replacing the bolts and equalizers?
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

SkipStock
Explorer
Explorer
We just finished a 14,700 mi 10 week trip from Alaska to Florida and back, with many side trips in between. Pulled a 43ft triple axle TH.

As far as 3 axles go, I liked the added weight distribution, the trires do scrub a bit a low speed maneuvering turns. Just DON'T look in the mirror at the tires, it will frighten you how much they deform. But, not one single tire problem over those 14,700 miles. Rear tires seemed to wear a bit more than the rest, but barely noticeable. I carried the Maxxis ST 16" E rated and was very satisfied.

Turns tighter, but just pay attention and it isn't that big of a problem. I only snagged one curb the entire trip and that was from a bad choice of roads with absolutely not enough room to avoid the curb.

My biggest piece of advise is make sure you tow with a fifth wheel hitch and not a goose neck adaptor. We bought the TH used, (our first RV) and the previous owner had used the GN adaptor. Major frame stress problems we had to get fixed halfway through the trip.(Lippert frame by the way, just saying)

Re the shackles - REPLACE them as soon as you can, preferably with the heavy duty 1/2" greasable versions. We had the standard shackles and replaced those about 12,000 miles into the trip. Normal wear and tear, but go with the heavy duty for longer wear and peace of mind. It's cheap insurance.

TV is a 2013 F450, pulled like a dream. Triple axle TH tracked behind it like it wasn't even there. One benefit to the f450 was BRAKING. We had an intermittent wiring problem for a short while that caused the trailer brakes to not work reliably. Very nearly couldn't tell the trailer wasn't braking unless I used just the break controller to see if it would tug back on the truck.

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
Dexter kit is awesome. Very beefy.
Great upgrade and highly recommended.
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

taken
Explorer
Explorer
MorRyde come with the wet bolts too...
Regards, Rodney
TV - 2017 F350 SRW CC SB 4X4 6.7
TH - 2015 FR XLR 395AMP

Flattman
Explorer
Explorer
taken wrote:
familyof3 wrote:
Just be sure to check your shackles. I had mine break in half just after 2 years. Didn't expect that but I guess it's normal with a 3rd axle.

Good point. Upgrading to HD shackles is cheap piece of mind. You can get the Dexter ones or MorRyde has a kit based on your setup.

^^^^ Great advice - get the Dexter HD shackles and they come with the greasable bolts/bushings.
Dodge Ram 6.7L 4X4 Quadcab W/Reese Slider
K-Z Inferno 3905 w/TrailAir
Carson 20' Enclosed Trailer
Sandwinder LTX Pro LS2 Sandrail
2007 Yamaha Rhino

twbronco
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the good information. I currently own a 2014 F-350 diesel so I'm not concerned about having enough truck.

taken
Explorer
Explorer
familyof3 wrote:
Just be sure to check your shackles. I had mine break in half just after 2 years. Didn't expect that but I guess it's normal with a 3rd axle.

Good point. Upgrading to HD shackles is cheap piece of mind. You can get the Dexter ones or MorRyde has a kit based on your setup.
Regards, Rodney
TV - 2017 F350 SRW CC SB 4X4 6.7
TH - 2015 FR XLR 395AMP