cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

triple axle toy hauler

twbronco
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking at purchasing a triple axle fifth wheel toy hauler. Currently I pull a double axle toy hauler and my question is how much of a difference does the third axle make? The new toy hauler is about 39 feet long.
22 REPLIES 22

familyof3
Explorer
Explorer
Just be sure to check your shackles. I had mine break in half just after 2 years. Didn't expect that but I guess it's normal with a 3rd axle.

Carlos___Ranae
Explorer
Explorer
Its all about the TV. If you have one that you love, double or triple axle tows the same. Not enough TV and any towing becomes a hastle. I find the triple axle tows more solid with less of a waggle.
Carlos & Ranae
2017 Seismic 4212
2012 Dodge Ram, 3500 Laramie Longhorn
4X4, DWR, Pullrite 18KSuperslide Hitch
2006 Yamaha Midnight Silverado, 1700 CC

tsetsaf
Explorer III
Explorer III
We went from a double axle to triple and the differences were amazing in all good ways:
1. Tows way more stable. No bouncing just solid. Bumps where the old trailer would bounce the truck no longer do anything
2. Very steady with sidewinds and tows straight
3. Tracks the truck true but a bit more inside on turns
4. Easier to backin to sites. Probably because it does not "cut" as sharp.
5. Imho looks better in general
2006 Ram 3500
2014 Open Range
"I don't trust my own advise!"

taken
Explorer
Explorer
Triple axle is MUCH nicer to tow than a double axle. We went from a 40' double to a 44' triple and the added stability is big. The scrubbing in tight turns is not felt at all and not noticeable unless you look in your side view mirrors and see the tires rolling a bit. I would have no hesitation making the jump as I just did the same and am very happy with the improved towing experience. Zero negatives... only improvements.
Regards, Rodney
TV - 2017 F350 SRW CC SB 4X4 6.7
TH - 2015 FR XLR 395AMP

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mine could actually be a double axle. With the motorcycles onboard I have a little of 12,000 lbs. on the three axles. I have 7,000 lb. axles so it would be no big deal if there were just two axles.

My GVWR is 18,000 lbs, but if you figured 20% or 3600 lbs. on the hitch that would mean there is 14,400 lbs. on the axles so it would be really close if I were loaded completely to the gills, for the axles. But if they have 8,000 lb. axles and 21.5 inch tires, it would be a piece o'cake.

I think part of the thing with triple axle toyhaulers is that the frame doesn't have to be quite as strong since the weight is supported over a longer distance than if it were a double axle. It's probably cheaper to go with 3 axles rather than a heavier/stronger frame. That's my opinion anyway.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Triple axle will scuff front and rear axle tires when making 'maneuvering' turns

PLUS triple axle for 'heavier' trailers

Got the truck for the increased weight?
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

twbronco
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, I'm concerned if they pull a lot harder and the turning radius. I have seen a few 39ft double axle toy haulers but I wonder if they can not handle the weight.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
What kind of difference are you referring to? They pull the same down the road, although I suppose there's a bit more drag with the triple axle. I guess you have to watch the longer axles when you turn, but I've not noticed any issues when I went from a double axle to a triple.

I think you're supposed to be more careful making sharp turns, but I need to turn where I need to turn, and if it's a sharp turn, so be it.

If you're looking at a new toyhauler, make sure you get good tires on it when you buy it. Insist on LT tires even if it costs you a few bucks. I guarantee you'll either spend some now, or a lot later. Buying 6 tires at a time adds up. Mine blew after less than 2 years and 8,000 miles. So get good tires when you buy it and save yourself lots of aggravation down the road a bit.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"