cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Truck Bed Clearance

lowfly
Explorer
Explorer
I just traded in my 2005 4wd F350 for a Ram 2500 4wd and love it. But, I didn't realized the bed, therefore hitch, was that much higher than what I had. I will be dropping the hitch a hole or two but I'm concerned that beyond that point I might be compromising distance between the bed and the 5er. Anyone else run into this since I'm guessing I should maintain at least a 3" space.
Grand Designs 33' Relection, Ford 2005 F350 6.0 PSD Dully w/turbo, 6 grandchildren, 3 standard poodles, a Shitzu, my best friend Maggie waiting at the rainbow bridge, a spoiled cat, and a good woman of 48 years.
36 REPLIES 36

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
Nope - our truck is a 4x2. Generally speaking, getting the required bed rail clearance is less of a problem on the lower-riding 4x2 trucks.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

mr68gto
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, I am new to RV camping and in fact don't have one yet. I am currently looking at 5th wheels but have a question concerning TV. My truck is a 2011 F350 DRW 6.7 CC LB but is NOT 4x4. Everything I see posted seems to be with a 4x4 TV. So will that present a problem with having proper bed clearance and level 5th? I have a B&W hitch that adjusts 2 inches. Specs indicate the bed should be about 2.5 inches lower than the same Ford 4x4. Don't know how much it will settle. I'm looking at around 2k hitch weight. Payload is ~5700 lbs max so I'm guessing its fairly stiff.

thks

Glenn_West
Explorer
Explorer
A hauler bed was only way to level mine. Anyone not level should get tire temps. If you have more weight on rear it will run hotter. I do have a 3 axle unit but we were not level with box bed and had 20 degrees high temp on rear axle tires. This is not acceptable and installed hauler bed and air ride hitch. Problem solved.

lowfly
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you everyone for your great comments. The weather has prevented trying your solutions but this weekend I hope to give it a shot. Let you know how it goes.
Grand Designs 33' Relection, Ford 2005 F350 6.0 PSD Dully w/turbo, 6 grandchildren, 3 standard poodles, a Shitzu, my best friend Maggie waiting at the rainbow bridge, a spoiled cat, and a good woman of 48 years.

AZ_T_T
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
AZ T&T wrote:
I have 9 inches of clearance and wish I had a little more.

WHY!!!!:h

I have about 5-1/2" and have gone over some silly twisted driveway and never had an issue. Having 9" of bed clearance on a 4X4 will bring up overhead clearance issues, not to mention possible nose high condition.

We almost exclusively go boondocking in some pretty rough areas. Even with a 9" clearance I have gotten very close to making contact.
AZ T&T
2012 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 29.5RKS
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 4x4 Duramax
B&W Companion Hitch - Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
Honda EU2000i Generator

AZ_T_T
Explorer
Explorer
up2nogood wrote:
AZ T&T wrote:

Wow, I guess a few things here, a fifth wheel that is sitting pretty tall on the frame, or an awfully short truck or a way out of level fifth wheel.

I had the FW lifted 4 inches. It rides level now.
AZ T&T
Honda EU2000i Generator

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
AZ T&T wrote:

WHY!!!!:h

I have about 5-1/2" and have gone over some silly twisted driveway and never had an issue. Having 9" of bed clearance on a 4X4 will bring up overhead clearance issues, not to mention possible nose high condition.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

chevor
Explorer
Explorer
Lose the box and go flatbed,

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
AZ T&T wrote:

Wow, I guess a few things here, a fifth wheel that is sitting pretty tall on the frame, or an awfully short truck or a way out of level fifth wheel.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
up2nogood wrote:
cbconway wrote:
RustyJC wrote:
mountainsam wrote:
I drove to the storage lot today for the first hook up to my 5er and 2014 Ram 2500. I could not see the hitch over the back seat headrest.

I removed the center rear seat headrest - problem solved!

Rusty

X2 With the center seat headrest removed I can even hookup using the rear view mirror.

I guess the rear seats don't fold down ?? I just fold mine down on my 2014 Ram, but its the megacab.

Bragger!

Hey, just wait and get the Megacab dully when they come out with the long bed instead of just the shorbed

AZ_T_T
Explorer
Explorer
AZ T&T
Honda EU2000i Generator

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
up2nogood wrote:
cbconway wrote:
RustyJC wrote:
mountainsam wrote:
I drove to the storage lot today for the first hook up to my 5er and 2014 Ram 2500. I could not see the hitch over the back seat headrest.

I removed the center rear seat headrest - problem solved!

Rusty

X2 With the center seat headrest removed I can even hookup using the rear view mirror.

I guess the rear seats don't fold down ?? I just fold mine down on my 2014 Ram, but its the megacab.

Bragger!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

kaydeejay
Explorer
Explorer
whistlebritches wrote:
Don't understand why the truck manufacturers don't understand that these heavy duties will be towing a lot of 5th wheel RVs and make the bed height accordingly.
Because we want to carry a heavy load AND ride nice they have to provide soft springs with a lot of travel.
This make the unloaded bed high, but they settle a lot once loaded up.
The other point is that only a very small percentage of owners hook up a fifth wheel compared to total volume. The larger market will be the focus all the time and we are left holding the bag!
Keith J.
Sold the fiver and looking for a DP, but not in any hurry right now.

mountainsam
Explorer
Explorer
Back to the lot this morning with the lowered hitch and the little ball guides for hook up. The guides worked great. Never had to twist to look back. hooked up with just looking in the rear view mirror. Easiest hook up I have ever had and this way I don't forget to lower the tail gate (hasn't happened yet but....). As for the lowered hitch, math doesn't lie. Lowered the hitch 2-1/2 inches and the rear of the trailer came up 1-1/2 inches and the front came down 2" The gap on the bed rails closed to 5-1/2 to 6". After a short drive I think I will be ok with that. I have torsion suspension on the trailer so raising it isn't an option at this time. Trailer sits 5-1/2" high in the front. That I think I can live with.
2017 Thor Gemini 23TR w/ 3.2 Power Stroke turbo diesel
2014 Ram 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel Crew Cab, Long Bed 4X4 6 Speed Auto (sold)
2013 Rockwood Signature 8281 WS w/Sidewinder Pin (sold)
DW and Sofie our Black Lab /Boxer and Phoebe our Schnoodle