cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Truck bed rails too high

Dr_Quick
Explorer II
Explorer II
A whiled ago a fellow was wanting to buy a new truck, but on all of them, the bed side rails were to high and would make his trailer sit very high in front.
I found this in a Wal Mart parking lot. Maybe the thing to do is buy a truck with out a box, or just take the box off and store it until you are ready to get rid of the truck.

Dr Quick
20 REPLIES 20

Dayle1
Explorer II
Explorer II
My solution was a custom utility bed so it still has bed rails, but height is 50 inches so no problem leveling the fiver. Flatbeds are heavy because they are intended to carry heavy weight items anywhere on the bed, but pin weight is very localized. My utility bed only adds 400 lbs.

Cost was significant, around $5k with upgrade paint and clear coat. But that was 14 years ago, 10 years on the previous truck and 4 years on this truck, it will outlast my need. On both trucks, I sold the factory bed, tailgate and bumper for around $2500 each. Cost of a used bed and bumper to sell the first truck was less than $1000. Even with misc costs my net cost is about $100/year.
Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'19 Starcraft Telluride 292RLS
Rig Photos

ChadHubbard
Explorer
Explorer
Here is my solution to bed rails too high for my camper.

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/29321938.cfm

Good luck!
Chad Hubbard
2014 Ram 3500 SRW 2x2 Cummins Aisin
2003 Fleetwood Pride 31-5G

BarryG20
Explorer
Explorer
Well that is certainly one way to do it and if truck use works good for a flatbed not a bad choice. However the box delete on the truck will be worth about $500 if buying new or you can get it with the box and try and sell it and probably get at least that much for it. The flatbed will run at least $2500 and on up to well over $10k depending on what brand what features, matching paint etc. There are some really nice ones out there but those really nice ones can get expensive. Also be aware that some of them well many if not most all will come with a goose ball but not all can accommodate a companion hitch (5th wheel) like in the pic. I know I looked at a Hillsboro bed which came with the ball but it could not take a fifth due to the way the ball was mounted and the bed construction (at least for the model I was looking at). So if you go that route you just want to make sure about that.
2016 Jayco 28.5 RLTS

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Or raise the 5th wheel so it tows level and then keep truck for using as a truck.

Less expensive to raise trailer then outfit truck with flatbed
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
If ugly is ok with you, sure. Personally I want my rig clean, shiny, pretty etc.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
That's one solution.