cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Truck ???????

Don2466
Explorer
Explorer
So, the biggest pickup i have ever owned was a toyota back in 1986 and a ford ranger some years later after i got out of the Marines, other than that i'm clueless about 1/4, 1/2, 1 ton, which is which in a chevy/ford.
even though me and the wife are a few years out from full-time, i'm still planning ahead. we plan on getting a 5'ver, 38-40 ft long.
whats going to be the BEST truck? already plan on getting a diesel.

thanks
20 REPLIES 20

Duke-44
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO you just can't beat the Duramax/Allison. One thing besides that is the GM diesel does not stink like the others, I'm referring to the exhaust. You can put your face near the GM exhaust and not smell diesel.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was a Chevy diesel person but switched to Ford diesels because Chevy rounded off and shrunk the cabs - for aerodynamics I'm guessing, but they felt too confining to me. If I was going to be towing a large 5th wheeler, I'd probably look at the Chevy because of the braking with the Allison transmission.

What might be the best today, might be the worst in 2 - 3 years if you're buying new. While it may not be needed, my preference for that size of a trailer would be a dually F450 or equivalent.

They're really all about the same, it's personal preference. Start visiting the dealer lots and take some test drives to see what you like. Which flavor of ice cream is the best? Chocolate, vanilla or orange sherbet?

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

anaro
Explorer
Explorer
As others have said, it isn't as much about length as pin weight. You will want a single rear wheel 1 ton (f350, silverado 3500, ram 3500) minimum for that size. You will still be limited by Wright with a SRW. A dually will buy you some more payload. There is some good info in the Tow guides here. Your best bet is to buy the trailer first and the truck to match the trailer.
2014 Silverado 3500 Duramax, SRW, Crew Cab, 4WD
2014 Palomino Sabre 34REQS -
2011 Crossroads Zinger ZT26BL - sold in 2014

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Have you looked at any 5ers?
It is time to start going to RV shows and looking at what you need to space. We have a 32' 5er that is not too bad for space.
So you have only driven small PU, and you want to get a 40' 5er? That is a lot of trailer if you have not towed before.
Looking at a 5er that big 350/3500 DRW, or larger..
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
One ton dually diesel. Brand is up to your personal preference

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
Rigs aren't just long, they are heavy. So the weight of the rig is more important in your truck choice then it's length.

That being said, a "one-ton" is the minimum, that is an 350/3500 series truck, probably a dually, with the largest engine that firm provides.

That being said there are 40ft 5er that are so heavy you need something bigger, like a true "medium duty" truck, ie not a pickup.
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.