Explorer
Would like info on 1/2 ton tundra 4x4 pulling 32' 9050gvw 5th wheeler
26 REPLIES 26

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
RinconVTR wrote:
rhagfo wrote:

So now I know what a Gooseneck is, but I don't see and specs on what it can carry!
Even if that stock trailer was aluminum put four good size steers in there and you would be overloaded.

I would like to see a link to that towing guide.

Why is this so difficult?

You can tow any trailer. Your only constraint are the provided tow ratings.

Just because Toyota doesn't separate higher 5th wheel towing specs like the Heavy Duty 3/4 and 1 tons do, does not mean you cant tow one with any 1/2 ton, unless specifically stated by the OEM.

Here is a link to a copy of my referenced pic for the non-believers;

"Toyota Payload & Towing Utility Guide"

I will have to say that is one great towing guide!

One just needs to keep in mind that the biggest limiting factor for LD TV is Tire, and axle ratings, then GVWR.

Most 2500 owners can easily exceed the GVWR, and still be well within the tire and axle ratings of the TV.

1500/150/LD pickups are usually so close to the tire and axle ratings that they will exceed the GRAWR before exceeding the TV's GVWR.

The only LD TV I have ever owned, was a 1964 Ford Econoline van that I hd shoehorned a 302 (AKA 5Liter) V8 and C4 auto with a 9" semi floating rear axle. We towed a 20' Sail boat with that all over Washington. I do have to say it pulled like that boat wasn't back there!!
Once I went to a full size pickup, it was always a 250/2500 with either a big gas engine or diesel, and Full floating 8 lug wheels.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:

So now I know what a Gooseneck is, but I don't see and specs on what it can carry!
Even if that stock trailer was aluminum put four good size steers in there and you would be overloaded.

Why is this so difficult?

You can tow any trailer. Your only constraint are the provided tow ratings.

Just because Toyota doesn't separate higher 5th wheel towing specs like the Heavy Duty 3/4 and 1 tons do, does not mean you cant tow one with any 1/2 ton, unless specifically stated by the OEM.

Here is a link to a copy of my referenced pic for the non-believers;

"Toyota Payload & Towing Utility Guide"

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
RinconVTR wrote:
There are 3 more pages of 5th wheel info in Toyota towing guide. But I think this is enough to get a certain few to stop posting******info.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
RinconVTR wrote:
Get a clue.
You've got some 'tude dude.

I just said it was an interesting article.

xtech
Explorer
Explorer
Have hung around these forums for a few years and read all the 1/2 ton bashing and especially Toyota. I retired 2 years ago after 45 years as a auto tech, last 22 years with Toyota. We sold many Tundras to oilfield companies who overloaded and abused them every day and they stood us so well several companies changed their entire fleet to them. Now I am not advocating overloading any truck, just pointing out that those who mock Tundras frames or ability are uninformed. I would say most 3/4 ton diesels I see towing 5th wheels are overloaded but that seems ok to most. Now to my experience, I have towed for about 35 years, thousands of miles. Currently we tow a 30 ft Cougar 5th wheel that loaded is just over 9000 lbs with a 2011 Tundra 4by4 long box. Its payload re sticker is 1820 lbs. I am under all weight ratings although within 100 lbs of max truck gross when trailer loaded to max as when coming home from Arizona with fruit. Truck handles this with no problem at all, most stable towing experience I have ever had. Our first 5th wheel also a 30 ft Cougar was over 10000 lbs because it had bedroom slide and when max loaded had pin weight of 1800 lbs so truck was about 300 lbs over gross. Tundra handled it fine even up and down mountain grades in British Columbia but I did not want to be over legal weight as they inforce RV weights there so we traded to the lighter 5th wheel. It amazes me that people praise the Ford 6.2 gas engine as able to pull anything but the Tundra with 4 less horsepower and 4 less foot pounds of torque is incapable. Also biggest brakes and rear axle in a 1/2 ton. Not saying a diesel would not be better, just don't want to deal with the problems might have with one. Also be clear I do not advocate towing overweight.

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote:
RinconVTR wrote:
Allworth wrote:
To add one more log on the fire:

In 2011 or 2012 Trailer Life had a short article explaining that Tundra frames were not rated for fifth wheel towing due to the way they were designed.

That may have changed in the last couple of years, but if it has there was not much mention of it in the automotive press.

100% HOG WASH.

Unless Toyota recommends against 5th and goose towing, don't post this sort of garbage.

Interesting article here.
They state that "Toyota does not provide 5th wheel tow ratings this truck". Wonder why?

That works 2 ways. They don't say you can but don't say you can't either. Pick which way you believe. I prefer to have the mfg say it's OK.
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
There are 3 more pages of 5th wheel info in Toyota towing guide. But I think this is enough to get a certain few to stop posting******info.

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote:
RinconVTR wrote:
Allworth wrote:

In 2011 or 2012 Trailer Life had a short article explaining that Tundra frames were not rated for fifth wheel towing due to the way they were designed.

That may have changed in the last couple of years, but if it has there was not much mention of it in the automotive press.

100% HOG WASH.

Unless Toyota recommends against 5th and goose towing, don't post this sort of garbage.

They state that "Toyota does not provide 5th wheel tow ratings this truck". Wonder why?

Only heavy duty trucks have separate (HIGHER) ratings for 5th wheel towing.

That does NOT mean Toyota trucks are not rated to do so.

Get a clue.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
RinconVTR wrote:
Allworth wrote:

100% HOG WASH.

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
Allworth wrote:

100% HOG WASH.

kaydeejay
Explorer
Explorer
jerem0621 wrote:
Well, I'm now old enough to have heard that 381 HP is not enough to tow a 9000 lb GVW trailer. ..............
No-one is suggesting the Tundra does not have enough power - it's the load carrying capacity that is the limitation.
Keith J.
Sold the fiver and looking for a DP, but not in any hurry right now.

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lantley wrote:
jerem0621 wrote:

Many tow fivers with a Tundra and nearly all of them are overloaded. The owner is either unaware or has made mods to deal with the overload situation.

Thanks!

Jeremiah

Is it possible to do mods to deal with overloaded situation. Are there mods that can reduce the weight of the trailer?

Yea, people do these mods all the time.. Overload springs, airbags, Timbrens... pick your option. Add LT tires and you have done about all you can do to help the vehicle deal with the load.

Nothing changes the payload sticker.... no airbag, no air shock, no tire, no nothing changes that payload sticker.

I counted 6 Tundra's towing Big Fivers and TT's today alone. I see them ALL THE TIME towing big trailers travling on I24 and I75. I see "half tons" towing fivers on a daily basis... literally... a daily basis...

These suspension and tire mods do not do anything to save component wear... nothing changes the fact that towing at max and hauling over max wear stuff out faster.

I still recommend a TT and to stay within payload.

Just saying that people blow past that payload sticker all the time.

One fiver I saw today being towed by a CREWMAX Tundra had four bikes on the back of the fiver. Yep.. A family in the Truck plug a 30 plus ft Couger Half Ton... my guess is that he was 500-1000 lbs over payload.

Was towing level with no noticeable sag. Probably had airbags. LOL

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

pops8gok
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to everyone will not make that mistake. Brian

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
jerem0621 wrote:

Many tow fivers with a Tundra and nearly all of them are overloaded. The owner is either unaware or has made mods to deal with the overload situation.

Thanks!

Jeremiah

Is it possible to do mods to deal with overloaded situation. Are there mods that can reduce the weight of the trailer?
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide