cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Umbilical Cord

slides
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not wanting to add a plug inside the bed of my new to me truck and am not interested in having the V gate either. So what I want to know if any of you have the same situation I have how do you deal with the umbilical cord ( i.e. wanting to use the plug that is under the bumper and not wanting the cord to rub the paint on the back of tailgate)?
Thanks in advance
2012 F-350 King Ranch 6.7 Turbo Diesel
2009 31SB Cardinal 5er

Use And Promote CB Channel 13
19 REPLIES 19

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you resell the truck to somebody who knows anything about towing, the plug in the bed will add to the resale value.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

Dave2001
Explorer
Explorer
I did not want to put a plug in my bed either.
I run my extension cable over the tailgate from the bumper connector to the 5er plug. I added a ring to the extension cable with Ty-wraps. The ring is located on the cable inside the bed close to the top of the tailgate. I use a rope with two snaps on it. One for the ring, the other in my case goes to one of the chain rings on my goose neck hitch. I'm sure I could have found a place on my fifth wheel hitch, but this was convenient. The rope keeps the cable outside the bed in light tension. My stock tailgate also has a plastic cap over the top of the tailgate. Extra cable lays in the bed by the tailgate out of the way.
2005 Holiday Rambler Alumascape 32SKD
2001 Dodge 2500 Quad cab, 4x4, HO, 6spd, 4:10

thedoghouse
Explorer
Explorer
It's a truck. Just cut a hole in bed install plug and use the truck. It's not goin hurt resale or anything else. Just make towing a lot easier
2008 Holiday Rambler Presidential Suite 36 RLT
2011 Ford F350 CC DRW B&W Companion

richfaa
Explorer
Explorer
I got the plug in Both places and the V tail gate. I am covered.
2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky. 08 Ford F-350 6.4L

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is not a Ford, but I have been plugged into the one in the bumper for 9 1/2 years now and no rubbing of paint or flat spots on cord or cord tangelled or cord coming further out of the bed than what it takes to plug it in. We typically do about 4000 miles a year. I for one will not put one in bed as I do not want it full of sand,dirt, other foreign material or get broken from stuff that is hauled in my truck bed.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

Shadow_Grey
Explorer
Explorer
Just put one in the bed and be done with it if you are worried about rubbing the paint off the outside of the tailgate...although a little pricey, it sure looks easy to put it in.
In bed 7 way plug extension.
'11 F150 XLT Red Candy Met. Ecoboost 4X4 Screw 5.5', Max Tow,Reese R16k 5th wheel hitch,Ride-Rite Air Springs, E Rated Tires, Extang Cover
'13 Keystone Cougar X-Lite 29RES,triple slides,Mor/Ryde suspension, Reese 5th Airborne Sidewinder, 16" E rated tires

kohai
Explorer
Explorer
slides wrote:
I'm not wanting to add a plug inside the bed of my new to me truck and am not interested in having the V gate either. So what I want to know if any of you have the same situation I have how do you deal with the umbilical cord ( i.e. wanting to use the plug that is under the bumper and not wanting the cord to rub the paint on the back of tailgate)?
Thanks in advance

I bought a new truck as well and was a bit nervous about having someone add the plug. I found someone that had a lot of experience to do it. It was recommended to me to put the plug in front of the wheel well -- I think we put it a tad too far forward. Luckily I had already had an extension that worked with the 5th wheel wiring.

I actually traveled with the 5th wheel twice hooked to the plug in the bumper. I prefer knowing the cable is in the bed and not getting messed with.
2014 Primetime Crusader 296BHS
2015 GMC 2500HD Denali

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
slides wrote:
Thanks in advance

I purchased the extension but I also have a V tailgate. I secure the cord with small Velcro wraps as it comes up over the tailgate, across to one side of the bed, then plugs in. This way the cord never moves around as it enters the bed of the truck but has plenty of extra cord in the bed of the truck for my turns.
2014 Montana 3725RL (Goodyear G614 Tires, Flow Thru TPMS)

SPENDING THE WINTERS AT OUR HOME IN SW FLORIDA. THE REST OF THE YEAR SEEING THE U.S. FROM OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!

Shadow_Grey
Explorer
Explorer
That King Ranch should have black plastic over the edge of the tailgate for the cord to rub on. If your cord is that limp that it touches the tailgate metal/paint put a twist in the cord to make it stay away or use a bungee cord. If you can't live with that then get a kit and put the plug in the bed like some of the factories do now. It will not deduct from the resale of the truck as you already have holes in the bed from the hitch mount telling everybody that the truck was used to pull a 5er or gooseneck. It might even help in a sell down the road if someone is looking for a tow vehicle.
'11 F150 XLT Red Candy Met. Ecoboost 4X4 Screw 5.5', Max Tow,Reese R16k 5th wheel hitch,Ride-Rite Air Springs, E Rated Tires, Extang Cover
'13 Keystone Cougar X-Lite 29RES,triple slides,Mor/Ryde suspension, Reese 5th Airborne Sidewinder, 16" E rated tires

Water-Bug
Explorer
Explorer
HappyKayakers wrote:
pool noodle

Or closed cell styrofoam 1" pipe insulation. It's already slit with a self adhesive, when the protective strip is removed.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I have a 2012 F350 and the cord does not touch the paint on the back of the tailgate. The only place it touches is the top of the tailgate where the plastic rub strip is.
I actually have both the in-bed connector and the bumper connector. And have used them both at different times.

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
I've been using mine that way for years. Keep thinking I'll put the plug in the bed, but this works fine and I'm lazy. I take up the slack in the bed with a bungee cord, drape it over the tailgate and put a foam insulation tube over it. Never any damage to anything; no problems at all.
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

Oaklevel
Explorer
Explorer
May have paint rub on the top of the tailgate. & Do not leave a hitch in the trucks receiver as it can unplug the fivers cord when you turn (we call them stingers here as that's how your shin feels when you find them the hard way LOL be sure to leave them out).

Much prefer having the extra plug in the bed its a lot nicer & easier.

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
pool noodle
Joe, Mary and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch