cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Unhooking electric from tow vehicle

JaycoAngel
Explorer
Explorer
Question for when pulling in a site for the night and not unhooking from your tow vehicle: when plugging into 30 amp service at the campground, should you unhook the electrical from your truck?
25 REPLIES 25

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
Michelle.S wrote:
Wilber1, if you're referring to my post, please re-read it. If no electric (read Shore Power) I'll disconnect because the TV bats would be in the same circuit as the RV bats if left connected, thus if too much power was used could also drain the TV bats.

I wasn't referring to your post in particular but I do agree that you might be drawing the truck batteries down at the same rate as the house batteries if not connected to shore power. Might be a good idea to disconnect if you anticipate using heavier loads (ie furnace).
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wilber1, if you're referring to my post, please re-read it. If no electric (read Shore Power) I'll disconnect because the TV bats would be in the same circuit as the RV bats if left connected, thus if too much power was used could also drain the TV bats.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
I never have disconnected but don't know if I am right.

Some questions.

How would being hooked up drain the truck batteries without doing the same to the house batteries?

Being part of the same DC circuit, wouldn't the converter/charger provide the same protections to your truck batteries as it does to the house batteries and circuits when hooked up to shore power?

Just asking.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
If we're stopping overnite without electric I'll disconnect Truck/Trailer, don't want to take the chance of dead truck batteries. Now stopping overnite with Electric, I won't disconnect and let the trailer converter add a little extra charge to the truck batteries. Have not had a single problem doing this.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

one_strange_tex
Explorer
Explorer
The technician in my walk through for the previous 5th wheel advised unplugging the umbilical from the truck before hooking up to shore power. I occasionally forgot it and it seemed to coincide with blowing the fuse on the 12V trailer circuit in the truck, but not every time. I received no such advice on my latest 5th wheel, often leave both plugged in when reaching a site until disconnecting the truck from the hitch and have not detected any problems. If you overlap the connections, many of the clocks, etc. that run off the 12V trailer system do not have to be reprogrammed.
one_strange_texan
Currently between RV's
Former 5th wheel owner (Montana 3402RL)

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I unplug to keep the truck isolated from the pedestal/trailer.
I do not want the trailer to drain the truck battery due to a malfunction of some sort.
Unplugging is cheap easy insurance that the truck electric cannot be impacted by the trailer electric
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Hmm, I never considered disconnecting from the truck. No problems so far.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:

It's also neat if I turn the trailer marker lights on, the rooftop markers on the truck come on too.

And on the DRW models you get the fender side markers too ๐Ÿ™‚
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
The OP said he would be plugged into shore power. Why all this talk of draining the battery? I always leave mine plugged in when on shore power. That way the camper converter keeps the truck battery charged. I have a Chevy so the line stays connected with the key off. I like it this way. Between dome lights, stereo, ham radio, etc. I don't mind having the truck battery on the converter while parked.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Does no harm to my setup. I never like doing things I don't need to do.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

neal10a
Explorer
Explorer
The trailer battery charge line power from my truck is thru a relay that is activated when the ignition is start or run. Other wise their is no power to the trailer. However when the tail and brake lights are active when the truck lights are on. I believe all late model trucks are that way-- at least that is how Ford is wired. If the truck is running while hooked to the trailer and the shore power is connected to the trailer, the trailer battery charger is active which will not do any damage to the truck alternator or visa versa. The alternator/charger will see a net reduced load which does no harm....

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
I unplug when I'm dry camping overnight. Having run down the truck batteries by mistake, I learned my lesson.

JaycoAngel
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you everyone for your advice!
We will unplug! Just in case

Butch50
Explorer
Explorer
On Fords they disconnect trailer power when you shut the key off (or at least they used to). Rams do not disconnect power and I believe GM also stays on. I put in a disconnect relay in my Ram so when the key is off my power to the trailer power is disconnected.

Bargman Battery Isolator
Butch

I try to always leave doubt to my ignorance rather than prove it

2021 Winnebago View