cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Very frustrating situation, going to blow some steam!

PFM
Explorer
Explorer
I am not sure where to even start, but here it goes! Have been an Rv enthusiast for 10 yrs now, but the time it takes to keep up on the Rv is taking its toll on me. Our current rig is a CC Silverback, bunkhouse. Did a lot of research before we purchased and this fit the bill for us. Going to point out the major issues and how they were corrected and what I have done to prevent further issues. Our 4th trip out in 09 our axles literally shifted going down the highway (the welds broke that held the leaf springs to frame). We hit a guard rail and actually shut the highway down on Labor Day weekend. After a lot of going back and forth frame company and manufacturer made all repairs (very long story and an unbelievable amount of finger pointing). The following spring noticed issues in front bedroom. Again, after a lot of dialogue with manufacturer they said there is an issue. Turns out the frame was broken and flexed causing issues in front end. Manufacturer came and picked up at my house and took back to factory and made repairs. They said when done they would bring back to me, I declined I said I would come to Indiana and pick up myself. I spent 4 days out there going to different manufacturers and RV related companies to educate myself on proper care and what I can do as a consumer to make the RV experience more enjoyable ( up to this point it has been a pain). So after many testimonials I installed 4 new Goodyear G rated tires, bought 2 spares, installed a Trailaire hitch, installed Moryde independent suspension and 4 wheel disc brakes. I felt I have done everything possible to do the right thing. Our camper is used an average of 4 times per year ( 1 week for vacation and holiday weekends). Last year it was used twice, and this year twice, wife had health issues and we have debated selling it, but kids still love it and I have a "love/hate relationship with this thing. Anyway, as I was setting it on the truck I heard a big "snap" and now front end is separated at trim pieces. After a month long conversation with frame company and manufacturer (lots of pictures sent and measurements), everyone determined there is an "issue", but nobody really wants to do anything about it till maybe next March. I offered to bring it out and would even pay for repairs. But I am getting blown off I feel. Yes all issues are documented with our "vin" number. Every year I have it weighed also. We are an average of 1800lbs under GVWR, fully loaded for us! So needless to say, I didn't want to wait until next March so I have had the daunting task of ripping the front end apart (the underbelly and taking off the front cap). So far, all the trim is ruined, the front baggage door is ruined and the sheeting for the underbelly under the hitch is ruined. These things ARE NOT designed to come apart easily. All the caulk that is used to hold it together is crazy! Estimated cost of parts so far is going to be around $700. I haven't even gotten to the welding part yet, my RV is stored inside in climate controlled conditions. It actually looks brand new still and get compliments ALL the time on its condition. Very fortunate to be able to keep it indoors. But I do not mind basic maintenance issues, but this is stuff out of my control and I am getting very frustrated with the BIG stuff happening. I keep debating wether to just walk away from the whole RVing experience, but over the years we have met SO many great people out there!! Actually thinking about after making repairs getting a new one, but I don't want to have to start all over again making repairs on something new......Now I am just babbling about stuff. The whole situation is just frustrating!! Thanks for listening everyone
2009 F350 Triton V10
2009 Siverback G2 36WQB
16K Reese Slider
61 REPLIES 61

KSadler1
Explorer
Explorer
Water-Bug wrote:
shadows4 wrote:
Sounds like a lemon to me. Dump it and move on. Good luck, John

It may be too late for that. If he knowingly sells an unsafe product to another individual, without making full disclosure, he could face future liability issues.

Well, then maybe it's time to take a trip to a very remote area and take the family "sight-seeing", during which time an unfortunate fire will break out. The OP has really been painted in to a corner on this. I'm in no way suggesting this, but I can sure understand the frustration. Why would you want to keep an RV that has been torn apart 20 times to fix problems only to have more problems occur?.....
2008 Ford F250 XLT Super Duty SB Crew Cab 6.8L V-10 4x4 4:10
(former 5er owner)

Water-Bug
Explorer
Explorer
shadows4 wrote:

It may be too late for that. If he knowingly sells an unsafe product to another individual, without making full disclosure, he could face future liability issues.

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
PFM wrote:
Also it is/was not a light and cheap trailer, so that post is not an accurate statement.

While the Cedar Creek is not a CHEAP trailer, it is a mid line product. An expensive trailer is Elite Suites, Excel, New Horizons, Custom Coach for a few. It is all relative.

Some of the frame welding I have seen ...well, I could do better and I have not welded in close to 40 years.

There is no excuse for the sorry spring hangers used, even on the CHEAP trailers.

People need to stop buying these sorry products and let them set on the lots.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Oakman
Explorer
Explorer
PFM wrote:
After a month long conversation with frame company and manufacturer (lots of pictures sent and measurements), everyone determined there is an "issue", but nobody really wants to do anything about it till maybe next March.

It really too bad you couldn't have brought it to the Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)rally in Goshen this year. Everything would have been taken care of for you without cost.

If I had been in your position I would have waited until March for them to fix the unit. It doesn't sound like you use it very often anyway.

We are in the third season with our Silverback and have experienced only a few minor issues.
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab, 4X4, Shortbed, 6.4 Diesel
Reese 16K Kwik Slide
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
Honda 2000i generator
Rand McNally 5510 GPS

SKG
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
shadows4 wrote:

Sounds like he got what he payed for. Light and cheap sells RV's.

Nice TROLL statement!!!!! What's next, are you going to say he lives on the wrong side of the "tracks"?
2014 Silverback 37BH
2014 Ram Crew Cab 3.42 gears 370hp, 800tq

PFM
Explorer
Explorer
For those asking. I am dealing directly with CC. Also it is/was not a light and cheap trailer, so that post is not an accurate statement. I just feel we got the short end of the stick on this RV. But from the sounds of it.....this is not normal, so that is encouraging.
2009 F350 Triton V10
2009 Siverback G2 36WQB
16K Reese Slider

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
PFM wrote:
I apologize for the poor " posting". I didn't realize it was soooo long. Got carried away.
Don't bother fixing it.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
First of all...

OP.. this is frustrating... very frustrating ... However, what you are experiencing is NOT typical for ANY price level RV.

Appliances having issues, knobs, and various screws backing out some is typical.

REPEATED STRUCTURAL FAILURE IS NOT A TYPICAL RV'ERS ISSUE

IMHO... I think that I would spend the money for an independent trailer manufacturer to inspect your trailers welds on the frame.

It sounds to me like there was poor manufacturing done with the frame and the spring hanger failure is a huge hint as to the quality of work of the welders on the day they built your frame.

Again, this is not typical.

Good luck sir,

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

KSadler1
Explorer
Explorer
Whoever asked "is it really worth it for 4 times a year?" hit the nail on the head. You're kind of stuck between a rock and a hard spot. If you keep it, you're most likely going to continue with the problems. If you sell it, or trade it in, you'll feel bad for the next family that gets stuck with it.....
2008 Ford F250 XLT Super Duty SB Crew Cab 6.8L V-10 4x4 4:10
(former 5er owner)

Splashers3
Explorer
Explorer
I totally second what MPI_Mallard said. We also know a lot of CC owners that can't say enough great things about CC customer service. The little we have needed them, they have been top notch.

Several of our fellow CCRVOC members are on their 2nd, 3rd or 4th CC. I'm sorry you are having such bad luck.

Our 2009 Silverback G2 has been excellent for us. For all you've invested, you should find a good local welding shop and fix it locally. I agree, with MPI - are you sure you're dealing with the CC customer service dept.?

Good Luck.
2017 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali, C/C, D/A, DRW, w/40gal Aux tank, 18K B&W Patriot.
2019 Cedar Creek Hathaway, 34RL2 - w/Bells & Whistles and disc brakes
Traded 2009 Cedar Creek Silverback, GII, 32 WRL

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Everyone always wants to go bigger and bigger and some are in the class of actually moving their whole house down the roads..

I too wanted to do that but after watching all the things my brother-in-law went thru I decided it was best for us to stay on the much smaller side of things. Seems like when you get something bigger than 26-foot then you really have to have DEEP POCKETs to stay afoat...

I have both a 28-foot 5th Wheel trailer and my OFF-ROAD POPUP trailer. The 28-foot fifth wheel sits at home all the time and the POPUP trailer goes anywhere and everywhere. It has all the comforts of home and the only thing we really miss out on is the move around room inside the POPUP.

The POPUP expense is only two tires about every three years. Nothing else breaks down... Insurance and tags are cheap. Then I can put all the monies I would have spent keeping the beast afloat into bigger batteries and now wanting to go solar.

We setup and watch HDTV just like all the big guys do everynight...

Just saying haha... being in smaller footprint may not be your liking but it really hasn't bothered us one bit... There is only the two of us and when kids come us we bring along a couple of TENTS to set up...

When I arrive at the destination or some camp spot along the way I am refreshed as can be. My Truck and OFF-ROAD Camper almost drives themself and I get GREAT gas mileage.

My neighbor and I sometimes head for Gatlingburg at the same time on our trips - All roads from here always go thru Gatlinburg no matter where you are going. He is beat plum up after 8 hours of driving and has gone through a bunch of gasoline money only getting 6-8MPG. He has big ole 40-foot plus Montana 5th wheel thing. We make it to Gatlinburg on one tank of gas - only stop to get something to eat for lunch half way there. We eat supper together and kick around the open fire then hit the hay. He is always gone when we get up the next morning...

Its enjoyable for us for sure...

Roy and Carolyn
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Mandalay Parr wrote:
Your post would be much easier it read if you used paragraphs.

An edit -to *ADD* the paragraphing- would go a long, long way to/for "readability"..:C

Sorry - but I gave up early on, (due to that) long before you reached a full head of steam..:(

Hope your problems/situation (whatever it/they are) is solved to your satisfaction in the near future.

~

MPI_Mallard
Explorer
Explorer
Wow!! I own a Cedar Creek Daydreamer and any issues I've had were looked after PROMPTLY and PROPERLY by Cedar Creek, actually they re-finished my full body paint last fall at no cost, not bad for a 07' fiver, I'm really surprised by what looks like a total lack of customer service in CC's behalf! Were you dealing with Cedar Creek or the dealer you bought it from? I'm sorry you have so many problems with your Silverback, I know several people who are thrilled with theirs and I haven't met any "Creekers" yet who won't but another Cedar Creek!
07' Dodge 3500 6 speed Cummins Diesel Dually/6.7L Bully-Chipped /
Exhst Brake/07' Cedar Creek 37CDTSD Daydreamer fiver
Mallard @ Frau Blรผcher

Red Green:
Now lets Bow your heads for the men's prayer.
I am a man, but I can change.
If I have to, I guess...

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
shadows4 wrote:

Sounds like he got what he payed for. Light and cheap sells RV's.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
IMO sell it and see if your family really misses it after 1-2 yrs. You could always rent a house or condo somewhere for a few vacations. Something different and stress free.