cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Very frustrating situation, going to blow some steam!

PFM
Explorer
Explorer
I am not sure where to even start, but here it goes! Have been an Rv enthusiast for 10 yrs now, but the time it takes to keep up on the Rv is taking its toll on me. Our current rig is a CC Silverback, bunkhouse. Did a lot of research before we purchased and this fit the bill for us. Going to point out the major issues and how they were corrected and what I have done to prevent further issues. Our 4th trip out in 09 our axles literally shifted going down the highway (the welds broke that held the leaf springs to frame). We hit a guard rail and actually shut the highway down on Labor Day weekend. After a lot of going back and forth frame company and manufacturer made all repairs (very long story and an unbelievable amount of finger pointing). The following spring noticed issues in front bedroom. Again, after a lot of dialogue with manufacturer they said there is an issue. Turns out the frame was broken and flexed causing issues in front end. Manufacturer came and picked up at my house and took back to factory and made repairs. They said when done they would bring back to me, I declined I said I would come to Indiana and pick up myself. I spent 4 days out there going to different manufacturers and RV related companies to educate myself on proper care and what I can do as a consumer to make the RV experience more enjoyable ( up to this point it has been a pain). So after many testimonials I installed 4 new Goodyear G rated tires, bought 2 spares, installed a Trailaire hitch, installed Moryde independent suspension and 4 wheel disc brakes. I felt I have done everything possible to do the right thing. Our camper is used an average of 4 times per year ( 1 week for vacation and holiday weekends). Last year it was used twice, and this year twice, wife had health issues and we have debated selling it, but kids still love it and I have a "love/hate relationship with this thing. Anyway, as I was setting it on the truck I heard a big "snap" and now front end is separated at trim pieces. After a month long conversation with frame company and manufacturer (lots of pictures sent and measurements), everyone determined there is an "issue", but nobody really wants to do anything about it till maybe next March. I offered to bring it out and would even pay for repairs. But I am getting blown off I feel. Yes all issues are documented with our "vin" number. Every year I have it weighed also. We are an average of 1800lbs under GVWR, fully loaded for us! So needless to say, I didn't want to wait until next March so I have had the daunting task of ripping the front end apart (the underbelly and taking off the front cap). So far, all the trim is ruined, the front baggage door is ruined and the sheeting for the underbelly under the hitch is ruined. These things ARE NOT designed to come apart easily. All the caulk that is used to hold it together is crazy! Estimated cost of parts so far is going to be around $700. I haven't even gotten to the welding part yet, my RV is stored inside in climate controlled conditions. It actually looks brand new still and get compliments ALL the time on its condition. Very fortunate to be able to keep it indoors. But I do not mind basic maintenance issues, but this is stuff out of my control and I am getting very frustrated with the BIG stuff happening. I keep debating wether to just walk away from the whole RVing experience, but over the years we have met SO many great people out there!! Actually thinking about after making repairs getting a new one, but I don't want to have to start all over again making repairs on something new......Now I am just babbling about stuff. The whole situation is just frustrating!! Thanks for listening everyone
2009 F350 Triton V10
2009 Siverback G2 36WQB
16K Reese Slider
61 REPLIES 61

shepstone
Explorer
Explorer
Whether a statement is intended to be be factual or critical, it is pretty obvious that some people are just pushing there own fanboy agendas.. Also having a cavalier attitude towards other peoples troubles isn't going to win friends anytime soon.
2017 F350 Ruby Red Super Cab Dually 6.7 3.55 gears. B&W Companion 25K. BackRack. Gatorback mud guards. AUX65FCBRG aux tank. 2021 GD 380fl
2010 GMC Savanna 3500 extended 6.0

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
2112 is correct. You do expect to have the manufacturer build an RV that will hold together. Structural and running gear should be a non-issue and last for quite a few years. There is no excuse to go with sub standard tires and axles.

Our trailer is a tri-axle with 7000# axles and a GVWR of 19000#. The axles/suspension is Mor/Ryde with over-sized drum brakes. To get this, it was optional and we paid for the better made trailer.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Explorer II
Explorer II
i buy light and cheap but i do not expect a broken frame i do not expect my axle hangers to brake i do not expect the manufacturer to blow me off i do expect to be hot in the summer and cold in the winter i do expect the interior to be built with light lesser quality materials that may not stand to the test of time i do expect to go over the whole unit and correct poor workmanship and recaulk everything this is a horrible situation and im not sure how I would have dealt with it good luck op i'm sorry to see all the inconsiderate post on this thread

PS IF YOU CAN'T READ THIS MOVE ON!
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
The Mad Norsky wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Sounds like he got what he payed for. Light and cheap sells RV's.

I'm gonna run a little interference here, as you would, for the OP here cause frankly they don't deserve such statements.

As such, let us all go back in time in our RV lives. Back to the first fifth wheel we looked at when the dream was starting.

You know then we were all ignorant.

Didn't know there was a real hierarchy of brands of fifth wheels.

We only had our local area/regional dealerships to look at, and assumed that top quality at one of these was really top quality in fact.

Later on maybe we would hear about Excel, Hitchhiker, DRV's and so on, but also remember the dealerships for these have been, and always were few and far between. So for most folks, shoot they were no where close to any of these.

So we looked at the closest dealerships and found Montana's and Cedar Creeks and so on. And gee, they looked nice!

Those and similar models were the whole world of RV'ing to us beginners. Never knew they were mid-level brands as far as hierarchy went.

So we shopped with care, researched as much as we could, and bought one of these units.

Then we were living the RV dream. Ah yes, the open roads! The travel and excitement!

And then the dream becomes a nightmare.

I am sorry the OP has had so many problems with their fifth wheel. I do so hope they can get their problems resolved.

But I am not gonna belittle them for what they purchased. It is all they knew at the time, and they thought they were getting the best they could afford.

Now, I gotta add my first fifth wheel was a 1996 Komfort, no slides, tin sided and I learned soon that quality was not the best. I also had (I think it was) an RBW no tilt hitch that was an absolute beast to un-hitch from cause there was no side to side tilt of the hitch head.

So the learning curve accelerated and grew for me until today, cause I am still learning.

So be easy on folks with problems. They're farther back in that learning curve and having a tough time cause their dream just went bad on them.

FWIW my statement above was meant to be more factual than critical. But Most want to read into things in the negative way.

I have had problems in the past also and the fact is "light and cheap" does sell RV's. I was bitten also. But yes there is a learning curve. Sucks ya have to go thru it!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

The_Mad_Norsky
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

I'm gonna run a little interference here, as you would, for the OP here cause frankly they don't deserve such statements.

As such, let us all go back in time in our RV lives. Back to the first fifth wheel we looked at when the dream was starting.

You know then we were all ignorant.

Didn't know there was a real hierarchy of brands of fifth wheels.

We only had our local area/regional dealerships to look at, and assumed that top quality at one of these was really top quality in fact.

Later on maybe we would hear about Excel, Hitchhiker, DRV's and so on, but also remember the dealerships for these have been, and always were few and far between. So for most folks, shoot they were no where close to any of these.

So we looked at the closest dealerships and found Montana's and Cedar Creeks and so on. And gee, they looked nice!

Those and similar models were the whole world of RV'ing to us beginners. Never knew they were mid-level brands as far as hierarchy went.

So we shopped with care, researched as much as we could, and bought one of these units.

Then we were living the RV dream. Ah yes, the open roads! The travel and excitement!

And then the dream becomes a nightmare.

I am sorry the OP has had so many problems with their fifth wheel. I do so hope they can get their problems resolved.

But I am not gonna belittle them for what they purchased. It is all they knew at the time, and they thought they were getting the best they could afford.

Now, I gotta add my first fifth wheel was a 1996 Komfort, no slides, tin sided and I learned soon that quality was not the best. I also had (I think it was) an RBW no tilt hitch that was an absolute beast to un-hitch from cause there was no side to side tilt of the hitch head.

So the learning curve accelerated and grew for me until today, cause I am still learning.

So be easy on folks with problems. They're farther back in that learning curve and having a tough time cause their dream just went bad on them.
The Mad Norsky, Doll, Logan and Rocky
2014 Ram 3500 w/ Cummins/Aisin
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD LE Wet Bath
RV'ing since 1991

I took the road less traveled .....Now I'm Lost!

bobx2
Explorer
Explorer
shepstone wrote:
SKG wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
shadows4 wrote:
Sounds like a lemon to me. Dump it and move on. Good luck, John

Nice TROLL statement!!!!! What's next, are you going to say he lives on the wrong side of the "tracks"?

X2. I'll second that . What a completely worthless irritating & arrogant statement

But some people just can't help it. They just have to say something, even if they have no clue about that which they speak.
I can't believe all of those here who have such poor reading skills that they can't read or comprehend what is being written if it isn't all broken down for them in proper paragraphs, or with proper punctuation. Or saying it is too long, and you don't have time to read the entire post. What??? Maybe written forums aren't where you should be spending your time. For so many to reply here with nothing to say, other than to criticize how the OP wrote out his post is simply amazing, and each one of you should take a look in the mirror on occasion...
Becky, Bob, Taylie and Bode
2009 Silverado Duramax/Allison
2014 Heartland Sundance XLT 245RL
2015 Polaris Sportsman 570 Touring - Mine
2015 Polaris Sportsman 570 Touring - Wifes

DannyA
Explorer
Explorer
I have never understood why people criticize people's questions, the way things are written, etc.
If they don't like the way the post looks don't read it.
Most people have sincere questions and problems and just trying to get help, at that time may not be concerned about the way the question looks.
Sounds like you have had more than your share of trouble, as someone said 'Except for the grace of God go I".
2013 Sabre 290 REDS 5th wheel
2011 F250 Ford diesel

Mark Twain wrote: "Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do...

Paul_Clancy
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry for your troubles. That old saying applies. There but for the grace of God go I. If this was my situation I'm just not sure what I'd do. I do know I'd damned sure not give a flip about grammar while relating it. I almost wonder if insurance might get involved here as the frame damage likely happened going down the road. Wish you the best with this.

Wiley75
Explorer
Explorer
I'm honestly embarrassed by the number of members on this forum who take it upon themselves to be the grammar police. What the heck is up with this forum lately? Cut the guy a break, would ya?

I too would be frustrated. Hopefully it gets fixed right. I agree with the previous guy that said that it may be best to just pay a shop (out of pocket, not thru warranty) to weld it up correctly and be done with it.

Chiefcpo
Explorer
Explorer
The good things about this post: 1. honest statement of/about his R/V. 2. It brings out the English INSTRUCTORS on penmanship. 4. It shows lack of compassion for others. 5. Very few have EVER had any problems with ANYTHING in their life that is/was expensive to the owner (they only purchase EXPENSIVE things that will never break or give problems). 6. The rest feel for your problems and like to hear about how you solve (d) your problems and HUMBLE enough to ask questions and for help/recomendations.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
So why post now if you do not care enough to try and help.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mandalay Parr wrote:
Your post would be much easier it read if you used paragraphs.

Same here. Went about 4 lines down & stopped.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
I feel for you, too. BTDT with a POS RV and it was also a FR product... 98 Wildwood. It started out with small things. Everything we sat or layed on, caved in and had to be rebuilt stronger. I quickly figured out why it was $7k cheaper than another, mid range, brand that had the same floor plan.

Then it turned into more time consuming and expensive fixes.... structural things. I saw it would never end so I fixed it one last time and we traded it in on that $7k more expensive RV, which was our first of three of that brand, which has been bulletproof.

I was never so happy to take a 50% loss on that 2 year old Wildwood. I would suggest fixing yours one more time, if that's what it will take to be able to get rid of it, and move on.

Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

Vulcaneer
Explorer
Explorer
My advice...FWIW...Find a good, reliable, local repair shop to fix everything right. Get a good welder to fix those issues. And then enjoy your rig. Might cost a few grand. But it will be done right. And these problems/frustrations will be solved.

Buying a new trailer does not guarantee that you won't have problems again. other suggestion would be to just give up on RV'ing. Maybe you'll (understandably) not ever be happy with any RV.
'12 F350 SB, CC, SRW, 6.7 PSD, 3.55 RAR, 6 spd auto
2015 DRV 38RSS 'Traditions'
Pullrite Super Glide 18K

Retirement = It's all poops and giggles....UNTIL someone Giggles and Poops.

shepstone
Explorer
Explorer
SKG wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
shadows4 wrote:
Sounds like a lemon to me. Dump it and move on. Good luck, John

Nice TROLL statement!!!!! What's next, are you going to say he lives on the wrong side of the "tracks"?

X2. I'll second that . What a completely worthless irritating & arrogant statement
2017 F350 Ruby Red Super Cab Dually 6.7 3.55 gears. B&W Companion 25K. BackRack. Gatorback mud guards. AUX65FCBRG aux tank. 2021 GD 380fl
2010 GMC Savanna 3500 extended 6.0