cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Washing a fifth wheel

brnzbk
Explorer
Explorer
We will be picking up our new fifth wheel in about 2 weeks and then hitting the road for another 2 to 3 weeks. Just wondering what and how to wash our new trailer? I've been looking at a foam gun that attaches to a power washer, looks like a pretty good system, or maybe just the old fashion 2 bucket system, just wondering what everyone uses.
2015 F350 CC LB Lariat 6.7L Dually
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS
B&W Companion
43 REPLIES 43

rmalik1
Explorer
Explorer
TGPILOT wrote:
As an old RV Transporter who had to have the new RV's washed prior to delivery and a retired big rig driver, a lot of truck stops have wash bays or a truck wash located near by. In my day, it cost about $25.00 - $35.00 to have a rig washed. Probably a bit more now. Just pull in and ask them if they will wash you and how much.

Tom

Earlier in in the post I mentioned " Blue Beacon" truck wash and my TV and 40 ft'er cost 55 bucks.
2012 Cedar Creek 36RE w/ Level Up
B&W Turnover w/ 18k Companion Hitch
08 Ford 350 Lariat DW PSD Crew Cab Long Bed 4:30

TGPILOT
Explorer
Explorer
As an old RV Transporter who had to have the new RV's washed prior to delivery and a retired big rig driver, a lot of truck stops have wash bays or a truck wash located near by. In my day, it cost about $25.00 - $35.00 to have a rig washed. Probably a bit more now. Just pull in and ask them if they will wash you and how much.

Tom

TGPILOT
Explorer
Explorer
Happy Prospector wrote:
Just had my wife wash the 5er with Mcquires cleaner wax 50 and it only took her two days to do the job. She is getting older and slowing down some but it is important for men to remember that, as women grow older, it becomes harder for them to maintain the same quality of trailer maintenance as when they were younger. When you notice this, try not to yell at them. Some are overly sensitive, and thereโ€™s nothing worse than an oversensitive woman.

She had to take a break when she was only half-finished washing the 5th Wheel. I tried not to make a scene. Iโ€™m a fair man. I tell her to fix herself a nice, big, cold glass of freshly squeezed lemonade and just sit for a while. And, as long as she is making one for herself, she may as well make one for me, too.

I know that I probably look like a saint in the way I support her. Iโ€™m not saying that showing this much consideration is easy. Many men will find it difficult. Some will find it impossible! Nobody knows better than I do how frustrating women get as they get older. However, guys, even if you just use a little more tact and less criticism of your aging girlfriend or wife because of this post, I will consider that writing it was well worthwhile.

Love it, just love it.

brnzbk
Explorer
Explorer
I have a foam gun on the way, it attaches to a hose so no high pressure but lots of foam. I'll post a review after I try it a few times.
2015 F350 CC LB Lariat 6.7L Dually
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS
B&W Companion

alboy
Explorer
Explorer
I use the old brush and bucket with soap and use my power washer with a 40 degree end to wash it all off .Prob around 1500 psi , puts a real shine to it, 8 yrs this july,decals ,caulking,etc are still there.

rmalik1
Explorer
Explorer
gtsum wrote:
rmalik1 wrote:
If your on the road, try Blue Beacon truck wash. Around $55 for T.V. and trailer.

I was not aware of this option, but I see there is one located at the local (25 miles away) CAT scale. $55 would be well worth it to me

You can also get WeatherShield or RainX protectants.
2012 Cedar Creek 36RE w/ Level Up
B&W Turnover w/ 18k Companion Hitch
08 Ford 350 Lariat DW PSD Crew Cab Long Bed 4:30

09KZMXT266
Explorer
Explorer
I'm having the Wash Wax All system shipped to my home tomorrow. This will be my first experience using a waterless cleaner, so looking forward to it. I like that it also waxes at the same time. Shouldn't take too long to clean the whole 5'ver.
2014 KZ Inferno 3410T

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Maybe it is not the answer that was hoped for but Old Biscuit had it on the first response.

Sorry, no such thing as easy standing back & blasting it with a pressure washer.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

mcthomps
Explorer
Explorer
I use wash wax all with extension pole and their micro pads. One pail of plain water if just dust. Will use car wash soap if really dirty. The wash wax all system is very easy. Dry with micro pad sprayed with wash wax all.
2007 Dodge Laramie QC LB 4X4 SRW 6.7L Cummins 6-speed auto exhaust brake 3.73 Firestone airbags prodigy 16K Reese w/bedsaver
2011 Cameo 37CKSLS Bigfoot Plug It Right Mor/Ryde IS Mor/Ryde kingpin X-Chocks rear BAL strongarm jack

gtsum
Explorer
Explorer
rmalik1 wrote:
If your on the road, try Blue Beacon truck wash. Around $55 for T.V. and trailer.

I was not aware of this option, but I see there is one located at the local (25 miles away) CAT scale. $55 would be well worth it to me
2015 Fuzion 345 Chrome
2014 Ram Megacab 3500 CTD Laramie

Buckeye_Chuck
Explorer
Explorer
I wash. the sides with a SOFT brush and extendable handle handle both available from West Marine. I also use a wash/wax combo but do not rely on that alone for protection. I've been caring for fiberglass boats for many many years. Gel coat can oxidize and turn dull very fast if not cared for correctly. I use Meguiars number 50 RV/Marine Wax.The front cap seems to oxidize the fastest at least where I am at. Meguiars is able to remove light oxidation and add a protective coat of wax in one step if applied at regular intervals. By that I mean three times a Season and more often in extreme climates.
2012 F250 Lariat 6.5ft. bed, 6.2L, 3:73 Gears
2013 Sabre 33CKTS-6

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
joegray wrote:
I washed mine in a campground in Utah,and when it dried it was covered in water spots. I had to wax it right after to try to get the spots off. Still have some spots. How do you avoid this problem, short of having a company come in and wash with soft water?

That's why mine probably dries streak and spot free. We have a hose to our water softener and that's what we use.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
Don't let the water dry on the surface. I wipe the surface with an old towel as I work around the sides. Takes a bit more time and effort but less then having to wax the spots off.

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
One solution is to buy a water softener. There are several that you just plumb into the water line before it enters the vehicle. They come as free standing units. Just add a multiple outlet hose faucet manifold to the water softener so you can hook up a hose to wash your rig with.

Tim