Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water line noise/ air?

amdriven2liv
Explorer
Explorer
2010 Mountaineer 324RLQ

Just recently, there is a noise in the hot water line near the hot water tank. Sounds like maybe air in the line.

I have released the air in the tank. Turned off water supply, released pressure in the lines, released the hot water tank pressure valve. Still have it.

Any thoughts?
2004 F350 6.0L 4x4 CC LB King Ranch, Scangauge II
2010 Mountaineer 324RLQ,
11 REPLIES 11

jsum
Explorer
Explorer
It more than likely is the check valve. It can be replaced.

rockintom
Explorer
Explorer
If it's a Suburban W/H it the check valve for sure just like Old Biscuit said. He's one sharp cookie on this stuff. If it's a Atwood and not a XT model it will have the CV also. If it is a XT model, it's located in the mixing valve (the MV has issues, but not normally check valve problems). CV is usually near the bottom of the tank. Simply screws into the tank. Easy replacement. Some folk take the valve out and use it without that CV. If you do, when you winterize the system, antifreeze get in the W/H even when you bypass the W/H. Just sayin' rockin'
Rockintom
'12 Excel Limited GKE 33 ft., trailer named "Charm"
'14 1 ton Chevy DRW D/A Reese 20K hitch Fold-A-Cover bedcover - truck named "Bullet" Fulltiming since 2005

amdriven2liv
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Kevin. I'll check it out.
2010 Mountaineer 324RLQ,

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Google RV check valve - they look just std metal plumbing fixture but have plastic device inside which might be making the noise. Mine connects directly to the outlet side of the hot water tank.
Kevin

amdriven2liv
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at the tank, the check valve must be inside the tank? All the connections are just normal outside of tank.
2010 Mountaineer 324RLQ,

amdriven2liv
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, that was what I did. Now for the check valve. I'll see how easy that is to access.

Thanks.
2010 Mountaineer 324RLQ,

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Any time you hear noise at water heater when running hot water it most likely is the check valve in hot out chattering.
They are just a plastic plunger, spring, o-ring assembly (cheap junk).

As for that 'air'
You should have an 'air pocket' (by design) to control pressure increase.
Water swells when heated and w/o air pocket pressure can increase enough to cause T&P Relief Valve to weep

Turn off water
Open faucet to relieve pressure---leave open
Open T&P until water stops flowing---then let it SNAP shut
Close faucet
Turn on water supply
Air Pocket established
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

amdriven2liv
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a video of the sound.

Hot Water noise.
2010 Mountaineer 324RLQ,

amdriven2liv
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
Do you hear the noise only when your running hot water. Do you hear the noise when you're not running hot water. And what kind of noise is it making.

Only the hot side. No noise when running only cold side. City water hook up. Tried adjust PSI, didn't change it.

Hard to describe noise. I'll see if I can record it.
2010 Mountaineer 324RLQ,

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Do you hear the noise only when your running hot water. Do you hear the noise when you're not running hot water. And what kind of noise is it making.

Pipeman
Explorer
Explorer
You might try emptying the tank and then refilling. Are you hooked up to city water or well water? If well water, after you empty the tank put some bleach into the tank and let sit for a few hours, drain, refill and drain one more time to flush out the tank. I don't know if this will help but worth a try.
Pipeman
Ontario, Canada
35 year Fire Fighter(retired)
VE3PJF