cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Weighed new rig - super low pin weight %

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
We've got maybe 700 miles towing now. The first 200-250 miles were with my B&W Companion. The last 500-ish miles were with the Andersen. We haven't deal with big hills/mountains at all and haven't noticed any issues with towing. The brakes on this thing are WAY better than my old rig (2013 Sabre 36QBOK).

I just weighed the Spartan 1245 yesterday. Fresh water tank was probably 2/3 or more full (let's say 70 of 100 gallons). The fill inlet is behind the axles but I'm not sure where the actual tank is. We don't carry toys as the garage is the kids' room- but we do have the garage filled (sofa bed, a ****-ton of furniture and household items, and the washer/dryer combo); I wouldn't be surprised if it had 1,000+ lbs.

Overall weight was right at 21,000 lbs.

Pin weight was 3,260 lbs.

Pin weight percentage was 15.5%.

Looking at the specs, the dry weight is 15,051 lbs. with a dry pin weight of 2,627 lbs. for a percentage of 17.4%.

Honestly, I'm surprised at how low the dry percentage is given that the pin weight is almost definitely going to be unloaded with a toy hauler. I always just assumed the specs were wrong and that I'd be looking at a significantly different pin weight.

Apparently the specs were right and the pin weight is super low.

No issues in the limited towing, though. I have another 1,500 miles over the next 2 months to see what comes of it.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page
15 REPLIES 15

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dry weight 15,000#
Scaled weight 21,000#

You loaded 6000# :H

How does it sit hooked up...........level, nose up, nose down?
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31