cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What is this switch for?

ddschuman
Explorer
Explorer
My mom & step dad purchased a 2017 Salem 27RKSS a couple of weeks ago. Today, she noticed a switch that she had not noticed during PDI and it was not explained. It is down low on the wall near the floor by the door adjacent to fire extinguisher. Please note, my mom is nearly 70 and has never owned a travel trailer before now. The travel trailer is sitting in her driveway at the moment and because they didn't disconnect the battery and it is not currently plugged in, the battery is dead so turning it on & searching to see what came on is not an option at the moment. She is blowing my phone up and driving me crazy trying to find out what that switch is for lol. Does ANYONE know??? She lives in another town from me but I may have to go see if ya'll have no suggestions. Thanks in advance!
Escaping the real world in our "home away from home"
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS
2016 Chevrolet 3500 High Country Duramax Dually
21 REPLIES 21

ddschuman
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, the answer is...light under steps. I mentioned it to her before ever posting in here but she didn't think it had one. Found out today that is what it is and she saw it. Thanks again for all the help!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

j2catfish
Explorer
Explorer
If the unit has an electrical step, there you go. Puts step down and up. Good luck.
Catfish
K3500; Teton Homes 5er;
Native Texan - Transplanted Tar Heel
Retired USMC Mustang (LDO)
Semper Fi !

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think all three(Terry, Cardinal and Bighorn) have had a light there. Last two for sure. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
We have a switch like that and it is for the light that is located behind RV steps. It lprovides enough light to use the steps safely after dark. Not sure why it is located so close to the floor. I have not seen another 5th wheel brand with as light in that location though.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

mhardin
Explorer
Explorer
I have one that turns on the step light. It is located down low so you can reach it from outside the trailer to light the steps in the dark.
2013 Ford F-350, 4x4, Crew Cab, Long Box.
2001 Jayco Eagle 266 FBS.
2014 Heartland Elkridge 37 Ultimate.

Memphisdoug
Explorer
Explorer
My guess is for an built in vacuum cleaner. The switch for mine is down low on the wall
2006 Silverado 3500 Crew Cab
2006 Crossroads Paradise Pointe 36RL

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
On our Big Horn there is a switch just inside the door that turns on the light behind the entry stairs.

Not very visible in day light hours.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

rockintom
Explorer
Explorer
My best guess would be a step light switch. The lamp is usually in the step well, kinda hidden.
Rockintom
'12 Excel Limited GKE 33 ft., trailer named "Charm"
'14 1 ton Chevy DRW D/A Reese 20K hitch Fold-A-Cover bedcover - truck named "Bullet" Fulltiming since 2005

przao
Explorer
Explorer
Just goes to show that there are no real standards in the RV industry. I have (had) a switch like that (unlabeled) that is there because my rig that should have been built as a 50A rig was sold as a 30A unit. We have an electric fireplace that I enjoy using in the mornings when it is cool (just about every day when we travel). I also use the microwave in the morning preparations, but you cannot use both at the same time. You need to flick the switch near the door to decide what you want to use - microwave or the fireplace, and of course, every time you lose power with the microwave, you need to reprogram the clock before you can use it.

Honestly I'd never have purchased the rig had I known that was the case (my bad). My solution was to modify my rig to 50A service - used it on our long trip just completed and it was such a pleasure. I can now use the the fireplace, microwave, and anything else in the rig without having to resort to switching.

The take-home lesson - make sure you look at every possible "feature" in a rig and ask plenty of questions in a forum like this one - it can save you lots of grief in the long run. For the most part, the salesmen just want to make the sale and do not care once they get your money.
PZ

ADAD437
Explorer
Explorer
bound to be a battery cut off switch. cuts off power to everything in the rv to protect the batteries. my last motor home had one about a foot off the step,

James,Gail & Pancho
2005 georgie boy Pursuit

๐Ÿ˜›

ddschuman
Explorer
Explorer
in5r wrote:
12v or 110v house type switch?

It's a 12v switch. It's location is what's strange as it is near the floor right inside the door on the other side of the fire extinguisher. She took a picture and sent to me but I'm not sure how to post pictures on here. Regardless, hopefully they will figure it out today. She is one of those people that it will drive herself nuts (& me lol) until she knows what it's purpose is lol. I posted on here because I couldn't think of anything but maybe an under stair light and she immediately responded with "nope, I don't have one of those" so I know she had already thought of that and had been searching for another answer. I'll let everyone know what it is when we know. I appreciate all the guesses so far as it gave me some tips to help her figure it out when she gets battery power. They don't have a plug nearby to keep it plugged in but are getting an RV plug installed soon. Thanks again.
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

in5r
Explorer
Explorer
12v or 110v house type switch?
2019 Ford F250 6.7 CC SB
2015 Jayco Eagle HT 28.5RSTS

TheCaptKen
Explorer
Explorer
Something not related to the switch but check what type of battery is in the unit. If it's not a deep cycle, then letting it go completely dead probably just ruined it. A cranking battery will not completely charge after being discharged completely and will cause the onboard charger to overcharge and off gas hydrogen.
2002 Powerstroke
2003 27RK Wildcat (Cathouse)
2017 Denali 316 RES

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
ddschuman wrote:
Thanks everyone. They put a battery charger on it and will look more into the switch tomorrow. She has wanted a travel trailer for a long time and is so happy to finally have one. I can't wait till they finally get to go camping at the end of the month and pray it's everything she expects if to be. Personally, I love it! She's been full of a million questions and I'm trying the best I can to help her learn her trailer from afar. To say how excited she is, she tells me she often sits in it in the driveway and reads ?? . We will be camping along side of them their first time out so hopefully everything will go smoothly. I mentioned in my post that she was almost 70, well my step dad turned 80 in March. RVing is 100% new to them and it was totally their decision so we will see how it goes. Thanks again for the replies and fingers crossed that they get several years of awesome camping experiences.

Strongly suggest you talk your folks into buying the Good Sam Emergency Roadside Service and Good Sam Travel Assist plans. Also check out the tires on the trailer, make sure they have at least "E" rated 10 ply tiresnd metal air stems. I run Good Year tires. Take their trailer and have the beherings packed.