cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is this switch for?

ddschuman
Explorer
Explorer
My mom & step dad purchased a 2017 Salem 27RKSS a couple of weeks ago. Today, she noticed a switch that she had not noticed during PDI and it was not explained. It is down low on the wall near the floor by the door adjacent to fire extinguisher. Please note, my mom is nearly 70 and has never owned a travel trailer before now. The travel trailer is sitting in her driveway at the moment and because they didn't disconnect the battery and it is not currently plugged in, the battery is dead so turning it on & searching to see what came on is not an option at the moment. She is blowing my phone up and driving me crazy trying to find out what that switch is for lol. Does ANYONE know??? She lives in another town from me but I may have to go see if ya'll have no suggestions. Thanks in advance!
Escaping the real world in our "home away from home"
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS
2016 Chevrolet 3500 High Country Duramax Dually
21 REPLIES 21

ddschuman
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. They put a battery charger on it and will look more into the switch tomorrow. She has wanted a travel trailer for a long time and is so happy to finally have one. I can't wait till they finally get to go camping at the end of the month and pray it's everything she expects if to be. Personally, I love it! She's been full of a million questions and I'm trying the best I can to help her learn her trailer from afar. To say how excited she is, she tells me she often sits in it in the driveway and reads ?? . We will be camping along side of them their first time out so hopefully everything will go smoothly. I mentioned in my post that she was almost 70, well my step dad turned 80 in March. RVing is 100% new to them and it was totally their decision so we will see how it goes. Thanks again for the replies and fingers crossed that they get several years of awesome camping experiences.
Escaping the real world in our "home away from home"
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS
2016 Chevrolet 3500 High Country Duramax Dually

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
tell her to plug in the TT and charge up the battery. not good for it to go very long in a dead condition

ferretgrandpa
Explorer
Explorer
My Flagstaff (see sig), has a switch like that, it switches power between the AC and the Fireplace, so you can only have one on at a time. You'd have to have shore power hooked up to check. Mine is labeled with AC on top and Fireplace below.

Good luck
Tom
Medical reasons took us off the road
98 GMC 2500
RBW Lil Rocker 15K
08 Flagstaff 8526 RLS

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
ddschuman wrote:
My mom & step dad purchased a 2017 Salem 27RKSS a couple of weeks ago. Today, she noticed a switch that she had not noticed during PDI and it was not explained. It is down low on the wall near the floor by the door adjacent to fire extinguisher. Please note, my mom is nearly 70 and has never owned a travel trailer before now. The travel trailer is sitting in her driveway at the moment and because they didn't disconnect the battery and it is not currently plugged in, the battery is dead so turning it on & searching to see what came on is not an option at the moment. She is blowing my phone up and driving me crazy trying to find out what that switch is for lol. Does ANYONE know??? She lives in another town from me but I may have to go see if ya'll have no suggestions. Thanks in advance!

Call the Salem mfg. customer service.

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
It is called a salesman switch. Switch it off and it should shut all power off to the RV.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I have two switches in that location.
One is for the the lights on the awning tube and the other is for the kitchen toe-kick lights and a night light in the bathroom. (why these are ganged together I have no idea.)
So they could be for just about anything!

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Most likely a light switch as they are never labeled.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE