cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What is your Bed rail to the ground height for a FW???

carpetguy2
Explorer
Explorer
Know the new campers and trucks are getting higher..But My wife and I found a FW instead of a tt..Dealer said they can raise the FW with 4" square tubing to accomadate my truck height..
My bed rail to the ground is 63".
Sand piper 345 ret is level is 56".
Any one have this height and have a issue?
2007.5 chevy 3500 ltz CC LB Duramax
2016 Open range 3x378
Some other toys too
18 REPLIES 18

carpetguy2
Explorer
Explorer
The dealer said don't flip the axels.Due to wearing the tires out faster..
Aswell they said I need only 4" of clearance on bed rails..Just seem like the new fords sat as high as mine.maybe not..I do have a lift on it.So not sure if is possible to do like they said.
2007.5 chevy 3500 ltz CC LB Duramax
2016 Open range 3x378
Some other toys too

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
carpetguy2 wrote:
Know the new campers and trucks are getting higher..But My wife and I found a FW instead of a tt..Dealer said they can raise the FW with 4" square tubing to accomadate my truck height..

Well my 01 Ram is 59" and settles to about 57" loaded at the tailgate, My 5er clears the rails by about 6" and sits close to level. I would agree that 63" sounds a bit tall. Did you look to see if the axles on the 5er were above or below the springs?
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

oldbiker7
Explorer
Explorer
carpetguy2 wrote:

I'm guessing your truck has been lifted since my 3500 is only about 57" high at the tailgate. It would be better to return the truck to original height instead of attempting to raise the FW that much.
2013 GMC 3500 Duramax CCSB 4x4, 19.5 wheels/tires, Hellwig anti-sway bar, airbags, Torklift Stableloads
2013 Arctic Fox 811

TubaPete
Explorer
Explorer
I don't see many trucks where the bed rail is over 5 feet from the ground. Still the rule of thumb is 6" - 8" clearance. You would have to raise the fifth wheel over a foot. I don't know how that wopuld affect handling but the first step into the unit would be a doozy.
Tuba Pete