cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

what kind of fifthwheel hitch?

stew47
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all. well ive been posting plenty lately and now for the next post. going from a Winnie class a to a fifth wheel. Were in the process of buying a crossroads cruiser and for a truck I put a deposit down on a 2008 f350 drw with the v10. it has a gooseneck and to be honest I didn't even look at the brand. What are the best fifth wheel hitches that take advantage of the current gooseneck? I was looking at this
http://www.etrailer.com/Gooseneck-and-Fifth-Wheel-Adapters/Draw-Tite/9480.html

I don't know if that's the way to go or not. thanks all. To be honest the last couple of weeks have been so busy looking for fivers and trucks that I'm wore out and turning in for the night haha.
63 REPLIES 63

Redaman
Explorer
Explorer
ralphnjoann wrote:
Redaman wrote:
Greetings!

After lurking on this thread (and others along the same topic) regarding which FW hitch to buy for the last week or so, I went out and bought the Andersen Ultimate rail version.

I drive a 2011 F-250 SB Super Duty and I have been towing a 2005 Montana 297 RKS using a Reese 16K Kwik slide hitch for the last 10 years until now. My reasons for changing are:

- That darned Kwik Slide is a heavy bugger
- The occasional Kwik Slide "Slide" where it decides when it wants to lock in place or not (those of you with them know what I am talking about)
- The moaning and groaning of a tired 5th wheel hitch
- Did I mention it's HEAVY?
- Price

In reality, it has been a good hitch except for the few times where I thought it was locked and it wasn't and it's all I have ever owned until now.

I just picked up the Andersen hitch today and it's already installed in the truck and the coupler is mounted to the kingpin on my trailer. I just need to torque the screws.

With that said, with all the posts saying how good the Andersen hitch is, nobody has mentioned hooking it up (that I have seen). I found the Kwik Slide extremely easy to connect to, and now I will have to learn how to connect to the Andersen set up, so any connecting tips would be appreciated. I do have an I-Ball camera I am thinking about putting to use for a 2nd set of eyes.

Someone mentioned that the new version of the Andersen Ultimate comes with a cone on it that facilitates connecting?? I did not get this piece in my kit so I plan on calling Andersen tomorrow to check on that.

Cheers!

I have a rail mount Anderson, and I too was concerned about hitching. It turned out to be a breeze. The ball is much easier to see than the traditional fifth wheel plate. I line it up with the adapter on the pin then back under the adapter. It's easy to keep centered side to side. I then get out to see if I need to go back farther or come forward a little. This is usually all it takes and I'm ready to lower the trailer.

I forgot to mention that when installing the Andersen I had to grind off some material in the rails slots to get the hitch to fit properly. This was because when they welded the upright supports to the base flange, the heat distorted the base metal a little and the tabs that go in the slots weren't true any longer. It wasn't a big deal, but something to watch out for.

I took it for a spin this weekend to a local campground and it was a very pleasant experience. It was MUCH quieter than my old Reese Qwik Slide and all things considered, I'm still glad I made the decision to switch. I still have a few tweaks to work out but I am happy and that is what matters.

Here are a couple of pix:

Tom, Diane, and our Aussie "Summer"
Sunny Southern California
2011 Ford F250 Diesel SD SB
Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch
2005 Montana 97RKS

ralphnjoann
Explorer
Explorer
James57 wrote:
I just want a lighter hitch I take it out a lot.

You won't be disappointed if you get an Andersen. I can lift my rail mount out and carry it to the shed with one hand.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
James57 wrote:

I hear you on that, I too have one of these monster heavy expensive hitches. If , or when I switch it will definitely be the Andersen . I could care less how good the B&W is, its heavy, and expensive. The Andersen is a great alternative. And I do have an electric hoist to remove my heavy monster hitch. The Andersen does not require any of that nonsense.

Jim102
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the help..I'll look around for a B&W..
Jim
2018 Jayco Precept 29V Class A
Air Force 1969 - 1973

James57
Explorer
Explorer

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
James57 wrote:
I have a B&W Companion love it but looked at Anderson thinking about buying in because it is so much lighter.

What reason do you need to save a few pounds? How heavy are you towing and what Companion do you have?
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

James57
Explorer
Explorer
I have a B&W Companion love it but looked at Anderson thinking about buying in because it is so much lighter.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Jim102 wrote:
My dealer is suggesting a Reese hitch, I know nothing about 5th wheel hitches......This is our first 5th wheeler, what do you think?

Thanks,
Jim

Jim, you don't say which Reese your dealer is suggesting, Reese makes many hitches. You don't want to start out with an entry level hitch, that a dealer may be throwing in on the deal.

Many hitch opinions, my opinion, it is hard to find a better hitch than a B&W. Look at several brands before deciding. A good hitch will be user friendly, quiet, and last forever.

Jerry

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Jim102 wrote:
My dealer is suggesting a Reese hitch, I know nothing about 5th wheel hitches......This is our first 5th wheeler, what do you think?

Thanks,
Jim

Your dealer must be a REESE dealer. I would highly recommend comparing REESE a foreign made hitch to B&W a US Made. Besides that you will see the B&W is a much higher quality made solid hitch.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

stew47
Explorer
Explorer
Well I'm sitting at a restaurant waiting on owner to get our first fiver so all I can say is the Anderson was easy to hook up on truck with existing gooseneck. If you buy a truck with the rails you can take your pick but Anderson makes one for rails as well. Really what sold me is its light. If I'd had a little extra to spend I might've went for the aluminum model.

Jim102
Explorer
Explorer

Thanks,
Jim
2018 Jayco Precept 29V Class A
Air Force 1969 - 1973

stew47
Explorer
Explorer
Just waiting on ups to bring it. Should be here tomorrow then pick up the new fiver. ๐Ÿ™‚

tunatundra
Explorer
Explorer
I too just bought the Andersen Ult. and a B&W to hang it on. I was adamant that the Andersen must be the new version and the dealer told me that the few he had in stock were all replaced with the new ones. He said you would have trouble finding the 1st version aluminum hitch anywhere as there is an exchange program in place.
The fiver I have is only 12,500lb loaded and the dealer stated it's a perfect fit for the Andersen. Please don't argue with me as he's the one that said it. ha
Rusty & Lana
2017 Cougar 333MKS
2016 F250 Diesel

Redaman
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks!!
Tom, Diane, and our Aussie "Summer"
Sunny Southern California
2011 Ford F250 Diesel SD SB
Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch
2005 Montana 97RKS

ralphnjoann
Explorer
Explorer
Redaman wrote:
Greetings!

After lurking on this thread (and others along the same topic) regarding which FW hitch to buy for the last week or so, I went out and bought the Andersen Ultimate rail version.

I drive a 2011 F-250 SB Super Duty and I have been towing a 2005 Montana 297 RKS using a Reese 16K Kwik slide hitch for the last 10 years until now. My reasons for changing are:

- That darned Kwik Slide is a heavy bugger
- The occasional Kwik Slide "Slide" where it decides when it wants to lock in place or not (those of you with them know what I am talking about)
- The moaning and groaning of a tired 5th wheel hitch
- Did I mention it's HEAVY?
- Price

In reality, it has been a good hitch except for the few times where I thought it was locked and it wasn't and it's all I have ever owned until now.

I just picked up the Andersen hitch today and it's already installed in the truck and the coupler is mounted to the kingpin on my trailer. I just need to torque the screws.

With that said, with all the posts saying how good the Andersen hitch is, nobody has mentioned hooking it up (that I have seen). I found the Kwik Slide extremely easy to connect to, and now I will have to learn how to connect to the Andersen set up, so any connecting tips would be appreciated. I do have an I-Ball camera I am thinking about putting to use for a 2nd set of eyes.

Someone mentioned that the new version of the Andersen Ultimate comes with a cone on it that facilitates connecting?? I did not get this piece in my kit so I plan on calling Andersen tomorrow to check on that.

Cheers!

I have a rail mount Anderson, and I too was concerned about hitching. It turned out to be a breeze. The ball is much easier to see than the traditional fifth wheel plate. I line it up with the adapter on the pin then back under the adapter. It's easy to keep centered side to side. I then get out to see if I need to go back farther or come forward a little. This is usually all it takes and I'm ready to lower the trailer.