cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What would cause...

mudmaker
Explorer
Explorer
What would cause all four tires to wear on the outside? I'm guessing improper attachment between the axle and spring pack. As in the tabs were put on wrong and the axles pivoted rearward. I haven't looked at it yet, (my parents camper) but I'd like to know what to start with.
Glen and Loretta
Marc, Jake, Kirsten and fur kids Dexter and Bernie
2017 KZ Venom 4114TK Toy Hauler
2015 GMC Acadia
15 Silverado 3500 SRW quad 6.6 Duramax
11 Silverado 3500 SRW quad 6.6 Duramax
11 REPLIES 11

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just curious. When you say "outside", are you referring to the outside edges of the tires, or the outside of the trailer? IOW are both edges of the tire worn?
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Overloading causes the tire to wear the inside of the tread if all the suspension components are in good shape .....as in not enough camber bow.

Wear on the outside of the tires tread can be a toe problem as in a bent axle fore or aft.

One of my drivers reported sever wear pattern like that on a 34' GN trailer. On his reload run I crawled under neath for a check. I found both axles bent with big scrape marks on the bottom/center of the axle tubes. The driver had drug the trailer over a tall cement roadside devise hidden in weeds and bent both axles enough to cause severe outside tire wear.
A two hr trip to a big rig trailer repair shop to have the axles bent back in alignment got him back on the road.

Its odd that all 4 tires are wearing the same.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

ksbowman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Or if the axles are completely upside down. Then the arch would be opposite what it should be causing wear on the outside of the tires. You said they came loose and rotated?

mudmaker
Explorer
Explorer
We took them off a couple years ago and brought them to a shop to replace the four tires.brought them back home and installed them again and that's the last I had done anything with it. I left maintaining them to my father. Unfortunately he isn't the greatest at checking the pressure and I'm sure that had something to do with it.
I dismounted all four and spun them around and then pressured up to 90psi. They are F rated and will go to 95psi.
A combination of under inflation and suspected overloading, (I'm always telling mom to leave a few more things at home) resulted in a slight wear on the outside rib of the tire.
We will see what happens this season.
Glen and Loretta
Marc, Jake, Kirsten and fur kids Dexter and Bernie
2017 KZ Venom 4114TK Toy Hauler
2015 GMC Acadia
15 Silverado 3500 SRW quad 6.6 Duramax
11 Silverado 3500 SRW quad 6.6 Duramax

fred42
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe the tire shop put the jack in the middle of axle?
2007 Tiffin Allegro 28DA

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
If bought used, then could be improper wheels for the application, i.e. wrong offset perhaps.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

MWJones
Explorer
Explorer
MFL,
You are correct. This happens, strange but fact. Happen to me. After all the others, manufacture of trailer and axles, said it was bent axle or spindle and little flat bed trailer builder told me to replace the tire. I did, no more wear.

Donno128,
A grossly overloaded trailer diffently will cause tire wear BUT on the INSIDE. Not on the Outside
M Jones
American and Texan by birth
Christian by the Grace of God
Retired and enjoying Traveling and Camping
Spending part of summers in South Fork, Co

Luke_Porter
Explorer
Explorer
Take it to a truck suspension shop and get it aligned.
Yep, actually drove to all of these places---in the last eight years. Missed Rhode Island and New Jersey.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
grossly overloaded, .

Would that not move the load pressure to the INSIDE of the tires ??

How many miles and what age for the tires ?
And how bad is the wear difference ?

IF....the tires are over-rated and thus lightly loaded, relatively, and they are run at pressure that is too high......some extra wear on the outside edge might be "normal".
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I would start with checking air pressure. If not at max pressure, could be cause. Could be worn bushings/shackles. Sometimes people just replace the tires, and never any wear issue after???

Jerry

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bent axles, mis aligned axles, grossly overloaded, failed spring packs any and all could cause the problem.