cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

wheel lugs

donewithtruckin
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe somebodys been here before, not sure. I use an electric lug wrench to change rims, 3/4" socket. Every time the socket lug jams. Then I have to hammer it off and go on to the next one! Very frustrating! Does somebody make lugs without those chrome caps?
14 REPLIES 14

grizz272
Explorer
Explorer
You want stupid. My Polaris Slingshot has vinyl coated lug nuts. Even using a 6 pt socket and a breaker bar if you turned to fast the vinyl would strip off the lug nuts.

Looks like I will be buying solid lug nuts for the new fifth-wheel. **** another expense and I have not even taken delivery on the sucker yet.

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
Those silly two piece lug nuts were coming on ford explorers and F150โ€™s in the โ€˜90โ€™s as well as Jeep Cherokeeโ€™s and Grand Cherokees in the โ€˜90โ€™s and 2000โ€™s. We used to carry 18 mm six-point sockets in our service trucks at work to change tires on those vehicles when some of those outer shells would be missing. Most of those vehicles will be missing at least a few of the shiny shells, and if you try to use the 19 mm socket without the shell it would strip. Customers didnโ€™t stand a chance changing it themselves with the factory Lug wrench. Terrible design.
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
SidecarFlip wrote:
The stainless skinned lug nut covers are there because the STUPID consumers wanted them.
I thought it was to save a nickel per hundred to make them shiny.

STUPID statement, but.......

Would the STUPID consumer who ever asked for any kind of lug nut "cover" please raise your hand!..:R

Bought LOTS of vehicles (with wheels) since my first car in 1958, and never had the option - or was offered the option - to purchase "stainless skinned lug nut covers" (and I sure wouldn't buy any myself).

Bingo! to the second opinion!! (prob a nickel per thousand)..:W

OP - get rid of that junk ....yesterday!

~

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
SidecarFlip wrote:
The stainless skinned lug nut covers are there because the STUPID consumers wanted them.
I thought it was to save a nickel per hundred to make them shiny.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Labman7
Explorer
Explorer
I bought 40 stainless steel lugs from E trailer to replace all the lugs with the covers, plus a few spares for less than $30. Looks good and don't have to deal with the stupid lug covers.

Johnny_G1
Explorer
Explorer
SDM wrote:
I use a 6 point socket and breaker over bar to loosen and torque wrench to tighten. My lugs nuts are solid.
X2 that is the only way to loosen and tighten wheel lug nuts on any wheel, using air and some electric wrenches usually just screw up the stud by too much torque. Just my thought's.
98 Mountain Aire 34' 210 Cummins Puller and 2001 dodge dully with all the toy's, 400 + hp pullin a 2001 32.5' Okanogan 5th wheel, new to us after 5 yrs with the 28' Travel Aire. Lots of fun.

SDM
Explorer
Explorer
I use a 6 point socket and breaker over bar to loosen and torque wrench to tighten. My lugs nuts are solid.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Only used a 12 point once on the TT...careless mistake.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

donewithtruckin
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going to try a different socket first of all, thanks for the tips!:)

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yeah, make sure you are using a 6 point socket! I used a 12 point on my F150 with those dumb chrome caps on them and destroyed a couple of them before I went out and got a 21mm 6 point..

Good luck!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Are you certain 3/4" is the right size? You are using a six point impact socket right?

Solid lug nuts here:
http://recstuff.com/wheel-accessories/lug-nuts

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Or your local auto parts store carries lug nuts, they are the same as the ones on autos/trucks
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Trailer, tires and wheels sells all stainless lug nuts.... you will need to know your thread size... They are pricey, but i assume that they will not crumble
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet