cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Which hitch to choose?

batavia02
Explorer
Explorer
Question all , trying to figure which hitch to choose talked to reps at the Tampa show in January for 2 companies I know there are more companies to choose from, we are looking at a 20-25k hitch. 5th wheel will be 40 ft long and provable give 15 k ish . We have a 2016 ram 2500 diesel cc with long bed and factory pucks installed for the hitch. Which is the preferred hitch and why also we think we have read about a aluminum hitch is that a thought ? Brand of 5thwheel is still slightly up in the air thanks for the continued help
27 REPLIES 27

NW_Explorer
Explorer
Explorer
Get the Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection and you'll never go back to a conventional hitch. I've towed 3 different 5ers 15K - 20+K lbs with 2 different trucks and I love it!
2016 Mobile Suites 39DBRS3 King bed, bath & a half, Residential fridge, dishwasher, washer & dryer, Fiberglass Roof, MorRyde IS, disc brakes
2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CC 4X4 DRW Cummins 6.7L, Aisin trans, 4.10 gears Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection 2

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
laknox wrote:

So? One issue with a B&W side pieces bending, that I've seen posted about. How about the issue with the upturned Reese handle that has cause unhitching on more than one occasion, when making contact with the bottom of a FW in a turn on uneven ground? I've seen plenty of them cut off or otherwise repositioned to prevent this.

Lyle

UH, you mean like this???

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
RCMAN46 wrote:

Take a look at the distance the head mount is from where the two towers are attached to the hitch base with no cross bracing.

Compare this to most other hitches which have a box structure between the head and hitch base.

So? One issue with a B&W side pieces bending, that I've seen posted about. How about the issue with the upturned Reese handle that has cause unhitching on more than one occasion, when making contact with the bottom of a FW in a turn on uneven ground? I've seen plenty of them cut off or otherwise repositioned to prevent this.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Cummins12V98 wrote:
President here of the B&W "HeavyWeight FanBoy Club". B&W is a simple solid hitch that there is no question if you are hitched or not.

Since you have the pucks it's a no brainer the RVK3600 will be ready to go from your 2500 to your next larger 3500 SRW/DRW truck.

Oh yea the B&W is designed and Made In USA, the other two are not Made In USA.

Wondered when you were going to show up. :B

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer

Take a look at the distance the head mount is from where the two towers are attached to the hitch base with no cross bracing.

Compare this to most other hitches which have a box structure between the head and hitch base.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
President here of the B&W "HeavyWeight FanBoy Club". B&W is a simple solid hitch that there is no question if you are hitched or not.

Since you have the pucks it's a no brainer the RVK3600 will be ready to go from your 2500 to your next larger 3500 SRW/DRW truck.

Oh yea the B&W is designed and Made In USA, the other two are not Made In USA.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

filrupmark
Explorer
Explorer
B & W Great Hitch and American made .
2004 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel, Bilstein 4600 Shocks, 16K B&W Patriot, Michelin M&S
2014 Augusta Flex AF34RS Trailair Tri Glide pinbox,
JT Strong Arms , Bridgestone R250'S, KYB Monotube Gas shocks
Finally a smooth ride !!!

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer
another B&W fan here.
TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion
On Order - 2022 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
B&W, Reese, Pullrite, Curt, all make very good hitches to fit your puck system. Pick the one you like best.

handsome51
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
batavia02 wrote:
Question all , trying to figure which hitch to choose talked to reps at the Tampa show in January for 2 companies I know there are more companies to choose from, we are looking at a 20-25k hitch. 5th wheel will be 40 ft long and provable give 15 k ish . We have a 2016 ram 2500 diesel cc with long bed and factory pucks installed for the hitch. Which is the preferred hitch and why also we think we have read about a aluminum hitch is that a thought ? Brand of 5thwheel is still slightly up in the air thanks for the continued help

Since I'm a B&W "fanboy", I'll highly recommend the Companion hitch for the OEM puck base. I have the Turnover Ball gooseneck base for our GN utility trailer and the old-style Companion. Love 'em both. The company is as top-notch as their products, too.

Lyle

Since you have a real truck(8ft bed),plus you have invested a lot in the truck and you will be investing a lot in the 5th wheel. Don't cut your self short on the hitch. You want the 5th wheel and truck to ride smooth. You don't want them in a bind or be jerked around. So do what is necessary to install a air hitch. My first choice is a 25k air safe hitch with the Brinkley Holland head. Second choice is the Hensley air hitch with the Brinkley Holland Head. I have the 25k air safe hitch now for going on 11 years. First thing the wife said when we took our first trip, was you don't even know the 5th wheel is back their. Plus nothing moves in my 5th wheel and that includes behind the wheels which is the roughest, unless you have to slam on the brakes. Air Hitches are not cheap, but you get what you pay for.

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
B&W companion 50,000 miles 7 years towing still good as new.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah I would agree that with the factory pucks using one of the hitches that drops in them would be the cleanest. I think the factory Ram version is made by Reese. The aluminum hitch you read about might be the Andersen but the downside there is it uses the gooseneck ball to attach and I don't think that's quite as solid as using the pucks. I love the Anderson hitch and actually use the rail mount version myself, but I don't like the gooseneck style as well. I suppose another option would be a rail adapter coupled with the rail mount Andersen. That would save some on weight and be easy to install/remove.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
batavia02 wrote:

Since I'm a B&W "fanboy", I'll highly recommend the Companion hitch for the OEM puck base. I have the Turnover Ball gooseneck base for our GN utility trailer and the old-style Companion. Love 'em both. The company is as top-notch as their products, too.

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A