cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Which is a better choice?

rowdybuckster
Explorer
Explorer
Between helper springs and air bags, which one is a better choice for ride and lift support?
11 REPLIES 11

AZ_T_T
Explorer
Explorer
mileshuff wrote:
At what point do you need airbags? My new 5'er isn't particularly heavy. About 9000 loaded and about 1700 hitch weight + 175 lbs for the hitch itself.

I think it's just a personal preference. I am well under all of my max weights, but I was experiencing porpusing and I also wanted a stiffer rear end while towing. The airbags helped both.
AZ T&T
2012 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 29.5RKS
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 4x4 Duramax
B&W Companion Hitch - Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
Honda EU2000i Generator

Norskeman
Explorer
Explorer
Air bags for me - use them on my last 3 trucks - Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 air bags. Inflate to about 50 lbs loaded and 8 lbs unloaded.
2017 Keystone Avalanche 320RS
TV - 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

big_bird_2
Explorer
Explorer
I have Firestone air bags with a compressor and controls on my 2009 F250. I did the install in about 2 hours. It is a 3-4 on the DIY scale. When I need air I push a button. The gauge that comes with the controls tracks the amount of air pressure. When I want to disconnect my FW I push the same button in the down position and air is released. What could be simpler? I do have the compressor installed inside the cab and it is loud.

I understand new 350/3500 trucks ride more like a 250/2500 and have a greater payload. A new truck is about $52,000 MSRP and air bags are about $700.
Big Bird 2

Splashers3
Explorer
Explorer
I opted for airbags (with the samll compressor that fits nicely under the hood)....its not that hard for me to flip a switch on my dash to adjust them on the fly....

Have had for over 4 years - no issues.
2017 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali, C/C, D/A, DRW, w/40gal Aux tank, 18K B&W Patriot.
2019 Cedar Creek Hathaway, 34RL2 - w/Bells & Whistles and disc brakes
Traded 2009 Cedar Creek Silverback, GII, 32 WRL

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
At what point do you need airbags? My new 5'er isn't particularly heavy. About 9000 loaded and about 1700 hitch weight + 175 lbs for the hitch itself.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
After owning both airbags air more versatile. Only issue is when pumped up the rear will rise, then when unhitched the rear is still jacked up and the ride will be stiff. If you're out camping and want to run around then you have that to deal with. If you get the compressor then it's a non issue.

Helper springs are a easier to install, although the bags aren't that hard. The springs will only give you a certain amount of support unlike the bags which are adjustable.

Another alternative is Timbrens. Real easy to install and no air to deal with. The truck rides exactly the same with them as they sit 1" above the axle.

LVTOCMP
Explorer
Explorer
I chose the "Super Spring" for my truck. Very easy to install,rides very nice loaded and unloaded, don't need to ck air pressure, don"t need to carry air compressor, don't need to worry about replacing rubber air boot. All I need to do is hook up and drive. My 2 cents.
Jerry

Paul_Clancy
Explorer
Explorer
As said one is adjustable (even from cab in motion) one is not. Pick your best.

mark5w
Explorer
Explorer
Have had both. With new 13 ecoboost I installed Roadmaster Active Suspension. Activates when needed great ride when not. Much better than having to fill bags and then empty after trip. Plus helps if there is any side to side motion and helps with the axle wrap when taking off from a standstill. A lot easier to install than airbags and no airlines to fish thru. Plus it will never get a leak.
'13 2018 JAYCO EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS- '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension

Airbags ride better... If you do not need the help all the time , think about Torklift ,, they makes a part that is bolt on And it is called StableLoad...When not used you swing it out with a socket.. Not sure how it works but after looking online , it looks really good....Joe
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

AZ_T_T
Explorer
Explorer
I have had both and I personally like airbags. I like being able to adjust as needed and not having the stiff suspension when not towing.
AZ T&T
2012 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 29.5RKS
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 4x4 Duramax
B&W Companion Hitch - Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
Honda EU2000i Generator