cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Which Toy hauler; Cyclone, Raptor or Voltage

dwaydick
Explorer
Explorer
I just want some advice with anyone who has experience with these toy haulers. I'm going to buy one in the next 6 months and just want some advice from owners. I'm leaning more to the Cyclone 4200 or 4100.

Thanks
Danny
18 REPLIES 18

RockinTCamp
Explorer
Explorer
I definitely agree with you gmc600.. When we bought the 4200 I liked the amount of cabinets but did not think about how high they were. I have a step stool to get what I need but it is very inconvenient.

gmc6000
Explorer
Explorer
dwaydick wrote:
I just want some advice with anyone who has experience with these toy haulers. I'm going to buy one in the next 6 months and just want some advice from owners. I'm leaning more to the Cyclone 4200 or 4100.

Thanks
Danny

One of the big issues I found when shopping for a new toy hauler was the placement of the kitchen cabinets. Most toy haulers have the cabinets mounted up very high . I looked at the units you mentioned above, and all the ones I looked at had the kitchen cabinets mounted from the ceiling. With my wife only being 5' tall, that posed a problem, as she would need a step ladder to access anything.

The KZ Inferno was one of the few brands that mounted the cabinets at normal level.

Bottom line, make sure you really consider the usability of the unit you are looking at.
2017 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie MegaCab 6.7 Aisin 4:10
2013 KZ Inferno 3710T

thompsjk
Explorer
Explorer
Y-Guy wrote:
RockinTCamp before you just jump back into the Voltage check out the Grand Design Momentum line up, bit more $ but they are designed for full timers. Just a thought.

I second the Momentum vote, we looked and looked and could not find anything we liked better. They also have some new models coming out in the near future.

Y-Guy
Glad you looked at least. Enjoy every minute you can with the kids; we loved camping with ours. Sadly it's college time now.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

RockinTCamp
Explorer
Explorer
I saw that in another thread and checked them out last week. The problem that I have and the main reason I wanted in the Cyclone, was the fact that there was not enough space for everyone to sit at one time in the Voltage and the kitchen space was limited. There are five of us and only four seats in most campers. The Cyclone had space for all five to sit but I lost the big picture with kitchen and cabinet space. I looked at the Grand Design Toy Haulers and the most seating they have is for four. During the summer.. sitting is not an issue since we spend most of our time outside and sight seeing but during the winter it becomes an issue. Choosing the perfect RV when your kids become teenagers is definitely a huge challenge but the time spent together is worth it.

Y-Guy
RockinTCamp before you just jump back into the Voltage check out the Grand Design Momentum line up, bit more $ but they are designed for full timers. Just a thought.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

RockinTCamp
Explorer
Explorer
I am new to the forum but I ran across this post looking for some advice for myself. We have been traveling for 4 years and have owned a Cyclone and a Voltage. Just recently, we bought the new Cyclone 4200 because of the upgraded fridge and open floorplan. We have had it less than 2 months and are already looking into trading it in. It is definitely not designed for people who spend more than a weekend at a time in their camper. We will be getting back into a voltage within the week I hope. Our previous camper was the Voltage 3950 but I am looking at the 3970 because of the floorplan. Has anyone had any issues with that model?

pipers_family
Explorer
Explorer
Mharpool. Thanks for answering our question on a Raptor king. We've been wondering. Could never find specs on the actual size.

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
steiny93 wrote:
i faced the same challenge

I searched the online forums for each of them and looked for trends. I also walked through each of them and compared and contrasted as best I could.

In general you'll find some folks in each camp who are unhappy. My take is that they are in general about the same from a quality perspective; you just need to find the one you like the features of the best.

ps
now that we've had the cyclone a couple years with the hdt we've figured out what we really like and don't like. the next one will be a build from www.forksrv.com if you have sometime you should check them out

You better have a fat wallet to get one of those! Didn't see any specs on their website or anything about toyhaulers.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

mharpool
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with rockerrider and everyone has great info. I say make sure you get a floorpan that works best for you and that it's not so massive that you can't get it parked or placed where you need to.
We love our new Raptor 332. It has come through with flying colors so far. We love that it has LED's throughout. Raptor claims to have a "King Suite" and you can see the floorpans showing the bed marked KING. It is not a queen or a king but something in between. I use king sheets and suspenders. I feel this is deceptive marketing along with the "Central Vac" which is really a shop vac mounted on a wall. Overall we're satisfied with the Raptor.
2005 National Rageโ€™N 2100FB
2014 Keystone Raptor 332TS Sold
2007 Eclipse Stellar T20 Sold
2006 Lance 861 Truck Camper Sold
still got my tent

Rockerrider
Explorer
Explorer
My opinion...and it's just that- one persons opinion!

Get the one with the floor plan and features you like best. I believe that they are all about the same quality. We have a 2013 Voltage 3905. I had the main slide have a slight problem once due to my own stupidity!! I put the slide out not knowing at the time of the importance of having the trailer level to put the slides out. The slide tried to bind up when I tried to put it back it. I unhooked, leveled and then it came right in. Other than that time the slides have worked perfectly.

I now know that the trailer needs to be level, and as someone earlier said I only run the slides on AC or the generator. The seem to work much better that way than just on the batteries. Also, I take a small air compressor with me on every trip and I give each track a quick shot of air to clean out all the dust prior to putting them back in. Knock on wood they have been great! We have used the trailer for two full summers now with no problems.

Other than a very few other issues that I fixed myself rather than taking back the dealer the trailer has been great!

Good luck with your search!!

dwaydick
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Danny

bakedalaskan1
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2013 Voltage 3950. It has been a great camper with only minor problems we fixed ourselves. calewjohnson description of the slides is correct. Watch the lippert videos and learn how the slides operate and you will be trouble free.
There is a consideration about the second bathroom most folks don't realize. The 3950 is the only toyhauler I have seen that you can access the back bathroom with toys in the back. You can get in from the living area. We fill our garage and it blocks the rear door so if you only have a entrance from the garage you can't get in until you unload. This is something we never thought about until after we bought the camper and started using it.
We did not want the Raptor because you could not open the slides separately.
Liked the Voltage better than the Raptor and wished we had seen the Cyclone before we bought the Voltage. The Cyclone had a king bed and better placement of washer/dryer.

chiefneon
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy

After much research we chose Cyclone 4000 Elite.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon