cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why 4 X 4

Usnthedog
Explorer
Explorer
Every place you look, every dealer it's all 4 X 4's. I have a 4 X 4 and never use it. Why is it so popular? Is there anyone out there that has a 2 X 4 and is unhappy with the truck? How about with a 4 X 4? My first 2 trucks I bought off the lot hence the 4 X 4. I'm looking to order and almost feel ashamed to consider a 2 X 4. I pull a 12,000# 5th wheel. No mud holes and backroads. Thanks.

And diesel, but that is another post.
99 REPLIES 99

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I get stuck all the time with 4x4. Last month my boat engine lost power. I got ashore and made it to a beach where I could hitchhike back to my truck. Once I got the boat loaded the truck was hopelessly stuck in deep gravel. I found another truck to help pull me out with a tow strap. This is normal for people that get out there all the time.

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
Navyvette wrote:
It’s what sells. Usually the only 2wd trucks in the HD anymore are the work trucks where fleet managers are trying to get the cheapest truck available. I trade vehicles every few years so I get it for resale as a 2wd will not hold value. I don’t even think you can get the upper trims in 2wd anymore. I just looked and the limited is 4wd on but you can still get a 2wd anything else.
I just order my 2wd's with upper trim level plus a long bed which are not stocked on lots.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
Tvov wrote:
About the height of trucks...

When I am in a parking lot with a bunch of other pickups (99% of which are 4x4), it seems like my truck is almost 6 inches lower than everyone else.

One big complaint on these forums has consistently been how high trucks have been getting.

Some of the newest trucks have adjustable height?!?! That is awesome! Almost like people at the manufacturers are actually paying attention to what people want.

My truck is a 2008 - when I am next to friends with new Chevy 4x4s, my truck is noticeably lower (trust me... they let me know that!). So I guess Ford has raised the height of their 2wd trucks? Many models of Chevys have usually over the years have been lower than Fords - which was one reason that many people I know bought Chevys, because they were easier to get into (and they always seem to have far more comfortable seats, I don't know why Ford can't do something similar).

So if manufactures are actually paying attention to complaints of new trucks height, that is great!
I agree. My '04 Dodge 2wd was 4 " lower than my brothers 4x4 of the same year both 2500's. My new 2018 Ram 3500 2wd is 6" taller than my old '04. Had to modify the side step brackets so they were lower so the steps were actually usable. When shopping I could not find a Chevy or Ford that was lower than a simularly equipped Ram.
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
I am on my 6th truck since '76. I have lived in central Ill., western South Dakota, think Black Hills, and southeastern Indiana. All snow states. I had an RV in South Dakota and am on our third in Indiana.We are not the back woods off road type of travelers. we have camped on grass and got stuck after a hug rain, but every 4x4 was stuck in the same venue as was the motor homes. Three of the trucks were off the lot and three were ordered to include my current 3500 CC LB Cummins. Four of the 6 trucks were used to tow with and all were used all year round to commute with. I have lived out on county roads since June of '87 and never missed or late for work even though it was 21 miles one way. At work I got into a 2wd truck and drove to where ever I was needed to fix or install electrical equipment. Not all of those buildings were next to a highway and their lot had not been 100% cleaned. My current gravel driveway goes thru trees and up 8' in less than 100' laterally and no 4x4 needed even in winter. I chose a 2wd truck for my reasons and every body can chose what they want. Good luck shopping.
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Ya don’t need one if you know someone that has one. Lol
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

Likes_to_tow
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't like the height of 4X4 trucks. I find most 5th wheels pulled with 4X4s look strange with the nose up or the axles flipped on the trailer to reach the extra height. I have had several trucks with limited slip rear axle and this is enough to do me.....most of the time. I can't see the extra cost of 4 wheel drive would work for me. Others may feel differently. If you have a legitimate need for four wheel drive then go for it. Resale value is poor on everything anyway

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
ReneeG wrote:
Super_Dave wrote:
All the guys defending 4 X 4 use it. It appears that the OP never has and likely never will. I think he is safe ordering the smoother riding 4 X 2.

Then let the 4x4 pull him out when he gets stuck.
Now there's a bunch of bull. Never has happened in over 55 years of driving in the midwest winters, and likely never will. But over the years the number of 4WD vehicles in the ditches during the winter has increased.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
I suppose it is a minor thing, but my solid front axle vehicles have always been better at holding alignment, as well as better front tire life.

This has not been the case with my 4x4's with various IFS, including the twin traction beam style (probably the worst tire wear of all), and the current style F150 IFS.

There isn't much to go out of alignment on the solid axles once they are setup. Check toe-in once in a while, which you can do at home in your driveway if you choose to.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd much rather have it and not need it, than not have it and NEED IT

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Probably 8 hoof drive! :B
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
ppine wrote:
There was a guy that would hitch up a team of draft horses and tow a VW bus into town.

Was it 2WD or 4WD?

😉
I love me some land yachting

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I used to live in Laramie, WY at 7,200 feet. When it snows hard the interstate is closed. There is no produce in the grocery stores except potatoes and apples. If it gets cold, as in 35 below after a snow, trucks don'twant to start. There was a guy that would hitch up a team of draft horses and tow a VW bus into town. He welded some rings to the frame for the tugs and cut a hole in the firewall for the reins.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
It was kinda nice to have towing thru SD.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

FF286
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
Learjet wrote:
What about slippery boat ramps?????

I try to keep my 5er off boat ramps. 😉

But if we are going to wander off topic, a couple brother-in-laws pull mid-20' boats and no issues with 2wd on boat ramps over many years.

Not wondering off topic at all. The question is if he should buy 2 or 4 wheel drive. Most people have 1 vehicle to do all tasks, pulling campers or boats, or whatever it may be.
To think everyone needs 4x4 is just as silly as saying 4x4 is a just for looks. I personally won’t own another 4x2, but I have 1 truck that I use to pull my camper, boat, work trailer, and for hunting. I’ve been in many situations where 4x4 has saved me pulling my work trailer, but not everyone uses a truck the way I do.

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
For every one of us complaining about the height of new 4 x 4 trucks, there is a young punk complaining that they are not high enough.
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollin’ on 33’s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles