cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Will be trading to a 5th Wheel. Which TV. (F350 or Ram 3500)

ADOR
Explorer
Explorer
Last year, we purchased our first TT. It's a 2014 Milan Eclipse, 18ft. Our current TV is a 2005 Hummer H2. Since we purchased the TT, we have taken it camping several times to Mt. Zion in UT and Grand Canyon, AZ. While we really like the TT, we just find the living space to be too small. We are seriously considering in trading it for a 5th Wheeler. No paricular brand and model at this time. The trade will happen before summer next year, as we are planning on a 3 week road trip when our 10 year old son gets out of school next summer.

We have been seriously looking at Ford F350 and Ram 3500. I don't want this to turn into a debate into which one is better. I just want to ask those who currently own one of the models I mentioned as to what made them pick what they currently have as TV. Here are my initial questions regarding both models. I will be looking at 2014 or 2015 models. I want to get a TV with the highest towing and load rating possible.

1. Are there any known problems/issues/recalls with regards to engine and transmission on both manufacturers?

2. F350 - Diesel engine only? Are there different type of engines and transmissions? If so, what engine and transmission is preferred for TV?

3. Ram 3500 - Diesel and Gas engine available? Are there different type of engines and transmissions? If so, what engine and transmission is preferred for TV?

Just want to hear some words for current and previous owners of the 2 models I mentioned above.

Thanks.
72 REPLIES 72

bsorro
Explorer
Explorer
Ford F350 dually 6.0, Chevy 3500 dually 6.6, Dodge Ram 3500 5.9, years 2004-2005. Would anyone know what the weight towing capacity of these three vehicles is individually. Does anyone know if there has been any problems with the older Duramax diesel with allison transmission?

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
Just my experience. I have had a 2001 Dodge that my wife just did not like. It was a good work truck but not comfortable. My wife and myself are both short. The Dodge seats at least at that time were very uncomfortable with no adjustments to get the front of the seat down so our feet hit the floor. Looked at a 2003 Ford and my wife would not look any place else. All do to comfort. Now 5 Fords later we have a 2014 Ford DRW. The dRW really creates a smooth pull. All of the rest of my trucks were SRW. Very happy with the DRW, and long bed.
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
jf831024 wrote:
Dodge has the power BUT the single axel is so light in the rear with no load it's dangerous ( I know I wreaked my brand new one due to a fishtail). I know the dully is much better in the handling department, not sure about the ride.
The Fords are generally nice over all and ride better. I'm not sure about the newer engine models but I know a couple years ago guys talked about the engine topping off in power while driving through mountains.
BTW....Loved my Dodge but after the way the rear end just went out from under my the wife just did not feel comfortable driving it, so we made the change.

Not sue I understand this statement. All PU are tail light when empty, and define single axle, do you mean SRW. Four things contribute to fishtail, speed, road conditions, dry or wet pavement, and conditions of the tires.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Either one will be great, but I'd add GM/Chevy to the mix and look at and test drive all three.

Truck in my sig is my daily driver to and from work as well as TV for our 5er, which is 39' 9" long and has a GVW of 16,950#, (loaded to 16,200#) at this time. I do 99% of my towing in the mountains, I've had ti since May of 13 and it now has 19,800 trouble free miles on it.

Look at all three, pick the one you like best and enjoy:)
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
duplicate
Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

jf831024
Explorer
Explorer
Dodge has the power BUT the single axel is so light in the rear with no load it's dangerous ( I know I wreaked my brand new one due to a fishtail). I know the dully is much better in the handling department, not sure about the ride.
The Fords are generally nice over all and ride better. I'm not sure about the newer engine models but I know a couple years ago guys talked about the engine topping off in power while driving through mountains.
BTW....Loved my Dodge but after the way the rear end just went out from under my the wife just did not feel comfortable driving it, so we made the change.
2011 Fuzion Touring Edition 3
2009 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LTZ Duramax Diesel

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Been more than happy with our 2012 F350 dually diesel. Almost 22,000 mile and no issues. We are towing pretty heavy and get between 9 and 10 mpg running 63 mph.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

JRS___B
Explorer
Explorer
Shepherd - Retired with a new truck and new fiver. I would guess you would be happy with what you have. NICE!

Shepherd
Explorer
Explorer
I'm happy with what I have.:B
2018 Ram 3500 CC aisin/4.10
2014 Rushmore Monticello

JRS___B
Explorer
Explorer
You will be happy with either one. How can you not be happy with a brand new truck?

Ford has a new diesel (old diesel tweaked for more power) for 2015. The Ram still has a little more torque.

Now IF you could buy a Ford truck with a Cummins diesel, the answer would be a slam dunk - Go Ford.

Unfortunately they don't come that way

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
ADOR wrote:
I don't want this to turn into a debate into which one is better.

Seriously? Good luck.

Bruce
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers

hmar1
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a 2014 Ram 3500 Dually 4x4 diesel to pull my 2014 Montana 3900 FB. First time to own a Ram, got it in January and love it, pulls great, you can't even tell you are pulling fifth wheel thru the hills. MPG when pulling is between 10 and 13 in the depending on terrain. When not pulling between 16 and 22 mpg. I would recommend this truck, I've always driven Chevy trucks, but the load capacity is a lot higher with the Ram. Good Luck on your trade, there are some good deals out there

sdetweil
Explorer
Explorer
both brands are nice. I own a ford 2012 350 diesel.

difference between gas and diesel is gas makes its power high in the rpm range and diesel low.
and diesels will generally get better mileage towing.

I do custom cars as a hobby. hauling my flatfront 20ft car hauler at 7,000 lbs with my 08 suburban I got 6mpg on a 3000 mile tow.
I replaced that with an 08 ford 350 and got 9.5 for the same 3,000 mile trip with the same load.

far as I can tell, there have not been any general recalls on either vehicle. early 6.7 fords (2011) have some new model issues. tranny, emissions, turbo and a few with some cylinder problems.. more software fixes than anything. a great place to ask read/ask about the Fords is http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum205/. I don't know for Ram.

the 2015 ford has a different turbo that seems to provide a different power curve and a lot better engine braking (useful if u tow in the mountains)..

biggest owner issue is understanding the truck towing and hauling capacity to select the right model. I sold my Single Rear wheel and got a dual rear wheel cause I felt I would be too close to the truck hauling limits. My wife and I both feel more comfortable towing with the dually. (and we both don't like it as much at the store)

after that it comes down to what you like on the inside and how you feel when u see it in the parking lot..
2012 Ford F350 DRW, 6.7 diesel.
2013 Keystone Alpine 3720FB