Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Will plumbing freeze? Toronto to Vancouver Mid-November

Bobroham
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

I am planning on taking my first long trip with my new 5th wheel from Toronto to Vancouver in mid-November. I am planning on using all facilities once I get to Vancouver, I am just worried about freezing along the way (through the mountains and across Canada). I have also never winterized as I am a new owner.

1) Should I winterize before leaving? (I am going to Vancouver with above-freezing temps during winter)

2) Would it make any sense to travel through the US instead of Canada to avoid cold weather and winterizing? (I do not wish to have an excessive detour as it is already a 40 hour trip)
37 REPLIES 37

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
It will freeze on the road in Nov, guaranteed. IMO

Mike_E_
Explorer II
Explorer II
And just so you know: last winter in Vancouver we had sustained temperatures of -5 to -10C for 6 weeks straight....and upwards of 5 feet of snow.

Maybe that was a fluke, but they are predicting a similar winter coming up.....sure hope they're wrong ๐Ÿ™‚

I would definitely winterize for your trip. If you're going to stay in your trailer during the trip just use the CG's facilities, otherwise you'll have to de-winterize and then winterize each time.

And yes, mid-November will be in the throws of winter driving conditions over the mountain passes, so make sure you have chains as well.

Or....a nice very-southernly route might be the ticket if you have the time.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Take it out NOW and fly back for a while if you have to. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

troubledwaters
Explorer III
Explorer III
People pull trailers through snow every day of the week. For some people if they took a day off every time it was snowing they'd starve to death. snowmobilers love to pull trailers through big snow storms (means the riding is going to be a blast). If it gets too bad you can hold up for while. No matter what always be prepared; chains may be a useful item to carry with you in case you may need them.

campinghut
Explorer
Explorer
Artum Snowbird wrote:
Yes, you should winterize. You should be prepared for anything and everything the weather might throw at you. The mountain passes might be covered in snow and ice, even closed because of conditions. There has already been snow in the BC passes you would travel.

Definitely take the Canadian highways.

If this is a new rig, seriously consider your options. Unless you are a very experienced winter driver pulling a load, I cannot think of a more difficult thing to do than coming through the BC mountain passes under difficult conditions.

I have to agree with all of the above. Unless you can wait out winter weather on the roads somewhere as you travel.
Tim And Bev
2018 Mobile Suites 38RSSA, 560w solar, 2800w inverter (3 previous Artic fox trailers, 1 Cedar Creek, 1 Heartland Cyclone. In the last 8 Years)
2022 F350 (Previous trucks 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017, 2019, 2020 all Ford F350's)

campinghut
Explorer
Explorer
I would not trust my 5th wheel beyond thanksgiving out here from not freezing even before that most of the time so November it will freeze unless heat is on in the trailer and some sort of way to heat the tanks.
Tim And Bev
2018 Mobile Suites 38RSSA, 560w solar, 2800w inverter (3 previous Artic fox trailers, 1 Cedar Creek, 1 Heartland Cyclone. In the last 8 Years)
2022 F350 (Previous trucks 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017, 2019, 2020 all Ford F350's)

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, you should winterize. You should be prepared for anything and everything the weather might throw at you. The mountain passes might be covered in snow and ice, even closed because of conditions. There has already been snow in the BC passes you would travel.

Definitely take the Canadian highways.

If this is a new rig, seriously consider your options. Unless you are a very experienced winter driver pulling a load, I cannot think of a more difficult thing to do than coming through the BC mountain passes under difficult conditions.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Well, it snowed in Edmonton a couple of days ago.

Personally, if my RV is just sitting unoccupied, I don't even think about winterizing until the temperature gets below -5C. If I'm in it and heating, I won't worry until below -10C.

Your 5er has an enclosed underbelly, right? If not, all bets are off.

You would have to go quite a ways south to get significantly warmer weather. Thinking back to my childhood when some Michiganders came south to Canada in July and asked me where the ski hills were. (seriously) Weather doesn't work that way.