cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

wind factor

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
coming back from Havasu, had 25-35 MPH winds. with the boat and kayak setup I could really feel the wind. would it make a difference if I turned the boat around so the back is first, or could I turn it over. when I had it setup with my TT and camper shell. was no problem, bit I guess with it out front, much more air to capture
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal
best friend is my wife ๐Ÿ™‚
17 REPLIES 17

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
I think single would be with just 1 kayak, but not for ours.
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal

KeithAS
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info. Well done, and likely more stable than the single hitch goal post.
2010 Dodge 3500 SLT, 6.7 CTD, SRW, 4WD, SB, Auto
2016 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
home made
replaced the two tow hooks with a receiver from Harbor freight.
I cut off about 6" of receiver, and then welded a plat to back with matching holes. this allows me to mount something to front if I want.
the rack is in two pieces. front to back 1 piece that bolts to the head board. it is a little heavy so on the front part I use my boat wheels and slide them into the bottom and use it to move it around. my brother and I can move and install it without the wheels also. not the most convenient, but you have to do what you have to do.
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal

KeithAS
Explorer
Explorer
bbaker2001 wrote:
Keith, can I answer a question.
it works so great.

Is this home made or a purchase? If purchase-make?

Not a normal front receiver hitch, but attaches to truck front at two points-tow hooks?

It appear that the rack is one piece from over the front of the truck to over the front the bed?

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
Keith, can I answer a question.
it works so great.
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal

KeithAS
Explorer
Explorer
bbaker2001 wrote:
great answer.
thanks
hopefully if i put a cover on the boat, it might cut down on some of the air being caught also
and keep at 55

Curious about your front end goal post setup?

ETA.....about your whole rack setup?

RayJayco
Explorer
Explorer
You want air to pass over with the least amount of resistance...

With it sticking out so far in front, it seems to be like 'pockets' that catch air...

Perhaps turning the boat over, so it sits right side up, allowing the air to flow across the bottom, such as water would, and flipping the kayak upside down, in the boat... This would allow the air to pass over with least resistance as boat bottom would be down and kayak bottom would be up, if you follow.

That is if you can do it without making it too tall... (Bridge clearance, trees and such...) and if you can secure it tightly like that...

They may fit together nicely, or they may not. Won't know until you try.

You may be able to couple boat and kayak together on the ground, then put it, as a unit, on the rack.

Also, if you can cover or tarp it (securely...) that might help as well.

Just giving you some thoughts...

Again, you want the air to flow and not get trapped in 'pockets'...

There is a reason why planes, rockets and such, have smooth exteriors without pockets/recesses that trap air...

Good luck!
Inquiring minds want to know...

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
(dupe)
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
bbaker2001 wrote:
great answer.
thanks
hopefully if i put a cover on the boat, it might cut down on some of the air being caught also
and keep at 55

That was exactly my first thought. Put a full cover on the boat to keep as much air as possible from coming up under it. You could even go further and add a deck to the rack, since it looks like the boat sits low enough so there'd be almost no gap. Another thing you could do would be to make an air d@m (really? censoring "d@m"?) on the leading edge of the roof top to help deflect air from between the boat and the top of the cab. Third thing would be to carry the kayak upside down on top of the boat since it doesn't look like you can turn it towards the boat on the side mount.

On edit, x2 on the idea of setting the kayak under the boat, if the seats could be removed to allow it.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
It appears to me the main drag would be the wind coming over the hood and up the windshield and directed into the boat where it then hits the transom sitting right above the roof with not much escape. You might try a cover but I don't know how long it would last. Or raise the back of the boat up 8-10 inches. That would make the top(bottom)of the boat like an air dam for the trailer and give a larger area for the wind under it to escape and easier since the transom would be at an angle.

Another thought, maybe put the kayak under the boat. Less drag and helps fill that void. Hmmm boat seats could be a problem.

Have fun...
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
so happy with our Ram. I cannot imagine the problems we would had with our TT and 1500 Gmc truck coming from Havasu
we hit wind--sandstorm--rain---snow--rain fog.
even with all that, she just kept moving along.
I slowed to 25 in snow, and had many passing me. came around the corner and 8 car-truck pileup.

It looks like a great job on the rack. You can also look at the entire issue as everything is all with one truck and fifth. Some would have to take two vehicles to accomplish the same thing.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
so happy with our Ram. I cannot imagine the problems we would had with our TT and 1500 Gmc truck coming from Havasu
we hit wind--sandstorm--rain---snow--rain fog.
even with all that, she just kept moving along.
I slowed to 25 in snow, and had many passing me. came around the corner and 8 car-truck pileup.
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
great answer.
thanks
and keep at 55

From the picture it seems to me that there is not a lot of room for improvement. Of course, you could play around with different positons for the kayak and boat but that is a lot of stuff in the windstream to deal with. Be glad you have a diesel for your tow vehicle.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
great answer.
thanks
and keep at 55
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal