cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Winnebago Scorpion 4014 Pin Weight.

nguyenbio
Explorer
Explorer
I am trying to find out the dry pin weight on the Winnebago Scorpion 4014. Most websites list it at 3000lbs. Some are saying as high as 4500lbs. I tend to disagree with the 4500. That's beyond even dually territory.

I have no experience with toy haulers but can anyone theoretically explain to me how much pin weight is reduced with a 1500 lb sxs in the garage? I know you add to gvwr but pin weight is actually reduced. I have a 2015 Ford F-350 cc lab srw.

Joe
Joe
2014 Ford F250 6.7L Crewcab Beast
2014 Grand Design Reflections 303RLS
13 REPLIES 13

JMT2
Explorer
Explorer
I would ask Winnebago or the dealer to actually weight a 4014 pin for you. I've always heard Winnebago has excellent customer service.

SolidAxleDurang
Explorer
Explorer
nguyenbio wrote:
... as high as 4500lbs. I tend to disagree with the 4500. That's beyond even dually territory.

Not true
TV = 15 Ram 3500 Dually 6.7 / CC-LB / CTD / Aisin / 3.42 / 4wd / EBrake
5er = 12 Keystone Avalanche 330RE
Toys = 08 Kawasaki Brutie Force 650i 4x4 ( x2 🙂 ) 14 Arctic Cat Wildcat 1000

taken
Explorer
Explorer
I answered your private message but will say it again here without all the detail. I'd say you will be too close and will likely be over. So, I'd stick with XLR for their low pin weights. It's just a better fit for a SRW truck. Also, they have standards and options not available on the Scorpion.
Regards, Rodney
TV - 2017 F350 SRW CC SB 4X4 6.7
TH - 2015 FR XLR 395AMP

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dry pin 3000# (as listed)

BUT nobody tows dry except for 'hauler' and new owner first time leaving dealership

WHAT pin weight did engineers give you for TH loaded up?

With a 7280# RAWR on that 2015 SRW what does rear axle weigh loaded up 'camp ready'?
Do you have enough 'actual payload' left to carry the real wet pin weight of that TH?
How much is the Rear Tire Max Load Rating? Got enough to carry the real wet pin weight of that TH?
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

nguyenbio
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
RAWR.......

Rear Axle actual weight (truck loaded up camp ready ----you,fuel, passengers, stuff in truck cab/bed)

Subtract that weight from RAWR

What is left is the amount of weight rear axle can carry (pin weight) before exceeding RAWR.

Typically you will reach/exceed trucks GVWR before exceeding RAWR.
Typically you will reach/exceed trucks Rear Tire Max Load Ratings (On sidewall of tire..Max PSI) before exceeding RAWR

Weigh truck(s) camp ready....then you have actual weights of truck F/R axles and trucks total.
Compare to trucks ratings -- F/R axle and GVWR

Okay so here is where I'm at. I just spoke to the factory rep today from Winnebago Industries and asked a few questions regarding pin weight, tank location, and other weights.

He stated that the dry pin weight is 3000 lbs and is 100% accurate. The engineers at Winnebago stated that for every 500 lbs loaded into the garage would take 100 lbs off the pin weight. The engineers also stated that loading the water tanks to any capacity would only add to the GVWR of the toyhauler but not the pin because of where the tanks are placed on the trailer. The engineers stated it would actually decrease some pin weight but not as much as loading the garage. He stated the design of the scorpion allowed pin weight to be increased only when loading the basement garage upfront. I asked if the ratio percentage of dry pin wt. vs dry gvwr is relative to loaded pin weight vs. loaded gvwr. He stated that one can not base the loaded pin weight on the GVWR due to the difference in weight distribution in a toyhauler design vs. a regular 5er.

With my 11,500 GVWR, I would still be under on my trucks RAWR, but over on the GCWR. The dry weight is 14500 lbs, with a 6300 lb. carrying capacity. My current fiver is loaded with about 1000 lbs. of gear to make it camp ready.

Do I make sense. What do you guys think?
Joe

taken
Explorer
Explorer
Joe, on mine with 1300 in the garage my pin dropped 160. I also had filled my water tanks between the two trips to the scales but the tanks are centered over the axles on my rig so that was a net 0 change.

As I've said in other posts, XLR has the lightest pin weights of the big haulers which is one reason I chose them over similar floor plans from the competition. Now that I own one, I have a lot of other reasons I'm glad I made the decision.
Regards, Rodney
TV - 2017 F350 SRW CC SB 4X4 6.7
TH - 2015 FR XLR 395AMP

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
RAWR.......

Rear Axle actual weight (truck loaded up camp ready ----you,fuel, passengers, stuff in truck cab/bed)

Subtract that weight from RAWR

What is left is the amount of weight rear axle can carry (pin weight) before exceeding RAWR.

Typically you will reach/exceed trucks GVWR before exceeding RAWR.
Typically you will reach/exceed trucks Rear Tire Max Load Ratings (On sidewall of tire..Max PSI) before exceeding RAWR

Weigh truck(s) camp ready....then you have actual weights of truck F/R axles and trucks total.
Compare to trucks ratings -- F/R axle and GVWR

nguyenbio
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Website lists:

Dry Weight ------14,850#
Dry Hitch ------- 3,000#

That figures out to a dry pin weight percentage of 20.2%

GVWR -----------20,800#
20.2% ---------- 4,201.6#

You do NOT have enough truck''''''''

2015 F350 CC SRW
GCVWR -------23,500 (MAX....lower if gas)
MAX Tow -----16,000 (Lower rating if gas)

If truck can not stay within ratings of the GVWR of trailer than trailer is too heavy

Thank you for the info. I was afraid of that, but can you explain to me when people state they are below their RAWR? This Winnebago is TOO heavy, but is it okay to stay under RAWR?
Joe

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Website lists:

Dry Weight ------14,850#
Dry Hitch ------- 3,000#

That figures out to a dry pin weight percentage of 20.2%

GVWR -----------20,800#
20.2% ---------- 4,201.6#

You do NOT have enough truck''''''''

2015 F350 CC SRW
GCVWR -------23,500 (MAX....lower if gas)
MAX Tow -----16,000 (Lower rating if gas)

If truck can not stay within ratings of the GVWR of trailer than trailer is too heavy

Bedlam
Expect 20-25% of the toy hauler's GTWR to be on the pin when water and supplies are loaded. The pin weight will not change much when you load toys since the axles are set fairly far back on toy haulers.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
For what it's worth, my 41' Voltage has 3500 pounds on the pin as per the CAT scale with nothing in the garage and 1/4 tank of water. Maybe the dealer will let you take it to a scale.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Y-Guy
Most of us have found there is very little change in pin weight. At nearly 45' I don't think you'll see any reduction in weight, if anything it might transfer more.

Haven't heard much about that RV so not sure you'll find a direct answer. I'd call the factory direct and see about talking to the regional sales person.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

Strabo
Explorer
Explorer
nguyenbio wrote:
I am trying to find out the dry pin weight on the Winnebago Scorpion 4014. Most websites list it at 3000lbs. Some are saying as high as 4500lbs. I tend to disagree with the 4500. That's beyond even dually territory.

I have no experience with toy haulers but can anyone theoretically explain to me how much pin weight is reduced with a 1500 lb sxs in the garage? I know you add to gvwr but pin weight is actually reduced. I have a 2015 Ford F-350 cc lab srw.

Joe

I cannot feel any difference at all
04' F350 PSD TB SC FX4 XLT, TH-04' 32' Sandpiper Sport Fifthwheel WB Dual Axle
07' Rhino 686 SS106-ITP-AFE-BRP-T4-CDI-KIBBLEBWHITE-CVT-TSTICH-Ridgid LED LightBar-HID Conversion Kit-LIVEWIRE
04' Honda 250 Sportstrac quad
05' Honda 400 Ranchers quad