cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Work & Play roof and overall resistance to leaks

DrBaker
Explorer
Explorer
We sold our Crossroads Cruiser this summer and have started shopping for a small toy hauler to hold our Polaris Ranger.

Ruggedness is a bigger concern than bells and whistles for me. The exterior of the Work and Play units look like a typical enclosed trailer/car hauler. Does the Work and Play roof tend to be less likely to leak than a traditional rubber roof? Future water damage is one of my bigger fears for an RV. Our last one went 12 years and counting with zero leaks. I did my best to properly maintain it, but I see tons of stories about leaks.
2011 Chevy 2500HD CC/SB 4x4 Victory Red
2003 Crossroads Cruiser CF27RL
Champion Screamer, Reese 16k, and a Blue Status Symbol
6 REPLIES 6

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
Older thread here but an update on mine. We just sold ours and the new owner picked it up yesterday. It was an awesome race trailer for us and I would highly recommend them if you're hauling toys and want ruggedness. But my racing career is over.

In over a year and a half, we had one "presumed" tiny leak. Shortly after we bought it, we went to Willow Tree. We had a monster storm come through with heavy rains. After the storm, our digital TV reception quit working. But after about a week or so, it finally started working again. My assumption was there was a tiny leak and water got in the antenna. I sprayed come "Flex Seal" around the base of the antenna and it never did it again. Many, many many race trips and it always performed flawlessly.

drittal
Explorer
Explorer
Gotta watch all seams on WnP. When I got mine I went around it and touched up a few spots immediately. Check them at least once a year.

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
Not only does the Work and Play all aluminum roof perform, the chassis is better than any other convert on the market we have seen.

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
The aluminum roof on my Work & Play gets a big thumbs up from me. As long as you keep close tabs on the top-side roof and perform regular maintenance on the seams, there's no reason the roof shouldn't last a lifetime.

The Work & Play is kind of a all or nothing situation. No doubt the aluminum roof itself will easily outlast any rubber roof and require less periodic maintenance; however, IF it leaks and damages the FRP, the FRP is very difficult and expensive to repair properly.

If you're buying used (or heck even a new one for that matter), you'll definitely want to check all of the ceiling seams CLOSELY, especially behind any cabinets. Tap on every square inch of FRP. The slightest change in pitch is not a good thing.

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
If ruggedness is your primary concern, then you couldn't pick a better toy hauler in my opinion. We race ATVs in a NC/SC cross/country racing series. We had a very nice Cyclone toy hauler. It was beautiful and always attracted a lot of compliments. Unfortunately, something broke on it almost every trip.

We sold it in 2013 and in 2014, bought our 30WRS for half of what the Cyclone cost us. Its not nearly as fancy but it does the job extremely well.

I keep it underneath a shelter when we're at home so the roof doesn't get rained on as often as others. But we have taken it to 14 races, one beach trip, one Carowinds trip, and a couple of local state park trips in a little over a year. I guess about 8000 miles.

No leaks or anything major. Love that metal roof. The A/C had a coolant leak so they just replaced the whole unit. A couple of minor things shortly after we bought it, but now its perfect.

We'll probably get something nicer again (not a Cyclone) after I quit racing. But until I do, it'll only be a Work & Play for us.