Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would you recommend a 5th wheel for me?

OnTaMove
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

I'm retiring next year and want to hit the road. I've done a lot of RVing in my life, but always as the passenger in someone else's rig. This time I want to go solo. I'm a 50 year female.

I've got two priorities:
*I want to have a vehicle I'd be comfortable driving in urban areas.
*I want a real mattress - not a chunk of foam - to sleep on. Even if it is just a twin, even if it has to fold up into the wall during the day like a murphy bed.

I was thinking about a 19' Sprinter Van conversion, but I just don't think they have enough room - I haven't seen one yet that had a "bed" I think I could sleep on.

So now I am thinking about trailers, so that I can unhitch the pickup truck and use it for exploring the area.

I've never used a 5th wheel in my life, but I've been told they are the way to go.

So, please, folks on this forum: do you agree that 5th wheels are easier to operate and tow?

And, very importantly: are they practical for a solo traveler who wants to hitch and unhitch weekly? Or is that a two-person job?

And finally: since I'll be traveling on my own, I don't need a huge amount of space. So it seems obvious to me that I should start by looking at the shortest trailers out there. But I want to ask: is there any counterintuitive reason why sometimes a bigger is easier to handle?
49 REPLIES 49

JKrussow
Explorer
Explorer
First ask yourself roughly how long are you going to stay at each place you visit? If it's only for a few days then maybe a motorhome would fit your needs, but if you intend to stay put for longer periods of time and venture out from the RV I say 5th wheel.

Next go to a RV show, sit in a motorhome for an hour and then do the same in a 5th wheel. Talk and listen to people as they walk through, you'll learn more from them in two hours than you would think. Don't get involved with a dealer until you have selected the right rig for YOU. Then find that rig at a price that fits your budget.

One last thing, look up the discussions on this site for motorhome vs 5th wheel. Good reading and you'll find out that only you can make the right choice. My mother-in-law is doing the same thing as you and we are waking her through the process. She is currently choosing floorplans for 5th wheels. At 73 she is not scared a bit, she used our rig as a trainer last week and had a lot of fun.
John & Rana along with Kato & Punkin
2004 GMC Sierra 3500 D/A DRW CC, Banks IQ w/Econominder, Speedbrake & CAI, Curt Q5 20K
2011 Heartland Big Country 3650RL

avantidave
Explorer
Explorer
As we progressed through travel trailers to our current fifth wheel, we gradually realized the importance of comfortable seating in the trailer. Our first two travel trailers had stiff couches and no single comfortable seat. Our current FW has a much more comfortable couch and two VERY comfortable recliners. We can finally relax in comfortable seating.

This comfort may not seem important to you. That is how we felt at first. We learned from some costly upgrade lessons.

Good luck in your search. With your positive attitude I am sure you will find happiness in whatever RV you choose.
Dave

silvercorvette
Explorer
Explorer
It may help if you consider the RV as a tool, you would not use a hammer to fasten a screw, and you would not use a screw driver to hammer in a nail. After a 30 year brake from camping I bought a Slide in truck camper for myself and dogs to drive from SC to NY for visits. I had plans to get something bigger for a cross country trip because spending a lot of time in a truck camper isn’t comfortable. Last spring/summer I traded the truck camper for a 28 foot 5th wheel because I was going to spend most of the summer living in the 5th wheel. I wish I could have kept the truck camper for short trips but I could not keep both. Last summer I came to realize that even though most of my travels would be just me and my 2 dogs I wanted (not needed) something bigger. The 28 foot Jayco bedroom was only about 5 feet high and at the beginning not being able to stand up was not a problem but at the end of last summer I got tired of it, also the bed was only about 12 to 15 inches off the floor the one I just got is about 20 to 24 inches which makes it easier to get out of bed.

At the end of last summer I wound up looking for my cleanest dirty underwear because I did not have time to waste in a laundry mate, I made sure this one had a washer dryer.

You need to decide how this will be used. Will you use it to drive from point “A” to “B” then stay at a friends house when you get to your destination (like I did with my truck camper)? Or will you be staying in the camper after you get to your destination.

I have a house I am selling in NY that needs to be fixed up and emptied out before I sell it and will be living in the camper most of the summer, and when the summer is over I will be headed west to visit friends so it will be nice to have something large enough so you don’t feel claustrophobic.

You don’t need anything huge but having space makes the trip more pleasurable. Back in the 80’s I spent about 2 months living in a camper that was about 17 to 19 feet with just me and my girlfriend. It had a 6 or 7 inch B&W battery TV, head with a shower, fridge, stove/oven and 5 gallon water heater.There was no Direct TV dish, no A/C, no electric water pump (you had to pump air pressure into the tank to get water to of the faucet) , heck there wasn’t even a break away cable. It was a great trip but at the end we couldn’t wait to get home. I have no doubt that with all the extra features I would be able to live in the new 5th wheel almost indefinitely.

The fact that you are a woman is a non-issue I believe you should be able to handle anything a man can just makes sure it has the room and amenities to insure you will be comfortable especially if you wind up getting rained in for a few days or a week and are stuck inside looking at 4 walls.
2014 4 WD Silverado 403 CI diesel long bed dually, B&W hitch with 95 Gallon Auxiliary Fuel Tank, pulling a 33 foot Holiday Rambler Alumascape suite, Winegard SK-3005 TRAV'LER slimline dish, Splendide 2100 XC washer dryer, TST Tire Pressure monitor system.

shovelhead79
Explorer
Explorer
I'm thinking you would not be considering this if you are not somewhat independent. The fifth wheel towing and hitching and maneuvering is something easily learned with some common sense. A little mechanical aptitude is required as no RV is without some problems. New RV's have warranty's but you will still have to bring it to some dealer or fix yourself. I like the fifth wheel option as When I unhook I have the truck for transportation. A toad is good for some people but you mentioned you would not be staying in one place for a long time. I would suggest going to some RV shows and asking some sales people the same questions. Hope I helped some.
John

KSadler1
Explorer
Explorer
Let me start by saying that I owned my 5th wheel for about 4 years and really enjoyed it. I sold it 2 years ago. That being said, if I ever go back to RV'ing, I will buy a class C in the 30-36 foot range with 2 slides.

In your situation, I really think the class C is the safe way to go. Being on your own, you can pull to the side of the road and have immediate access to your living space without getting out. That's a huge plus in case you need a bathroom break, something to eat or drink, or stuck in a long lasting traffic jam. With a 5er you have to get out, fumble with keys, pull the steps out, possibly put a slide out, etc.

Like someone else said, get you a small toad and you have the best of both worlds and much better gas mileage driving the toad around after you set up. Best of luck with whatever you decide.....
2008 Ford F250 XLT Super Duty SB Crew Cab 6.8L V-10 4x4 4:10
(former 5er owner)

JulieAnne
Explorer
Explorer
Thats_Ok,

Thanks so much. I'll put that on my "must have" list.

deleted-2
Explorer
Explorer
JulieAnne wrote:
If I could jump in and ask a question here that might help the OP (and me as well!), would having a rear camera help in backing a fifth wheel if you don't have a spotter?

Yes,

Wide angle rear view cams are a big help.
We are going to put one on our new 5th wheel soon.

OnTaMove
Explorer
Explorer
A Ford long bed crew cab pickup is 22 ft long and a GM long bed extended cab is 21 ft long, so what is a few more ft.?

When it comes to city driving and parking, "a few more feet" are a very big deal indeed. Also, I don't need either of those options and so would not buy such a truck.

JulieAnne
Explorer
Explorer
If I could jump in and ask a question here that might help the OP (and me as well!), would having a rear camera help in backing a fifth wheel if you don't have a spotter?

Dayle1
Explorer II
Explorer II
OnTaMove wrote:
mettech wrote:
http://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2014-THOR-MOTOR-COACH-CITATION-24SR--DIESEL--2-SLIDES---QUEEN-BED-110335055

Thanks, but at 24', I'd say too long to drive in urban areas because there would be no place to park it. So I'd still be left with the problem of what to use as my run-around vehicle.

A Ford long bed crew cab pickup is 22 ft long and a GM long bed extended cab is 21 ft long, so what is a few more ft.?
Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'19 Starcraft Telluride 292RLS
Rig Photos

OnTaMove
Explorer
Explorer
mettech wrote:
http://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2014-THOR-MOTOR-COACH-CITATION-24SR--DIESEL--2-SLIDES---QUEEN-BED-110335055

Thanks, but at 24', I'd say too long to drive in urban areas because there would be no place to park it. So I'd still be left with the problem of what to use as my run-around vehicle.

mettech
Explorer
Explorer

04'Crossroads Silverado SF36MK
05' Ford F-350, Lariat, 6.0L, CrewCab, 4X4, Tow Command, FX4, 4.10

16K Reese 5th Wheel Kwik-Slide

sail2liv
Explorer
Explorer
We have a fifth wheel....the small flagstaff.....and a big 3/4 T with long bed and crew cab....we have multiple trailers that we tow....along with like to have a pickup ..... ran about 65k for both new....if you don t have need for pickup, motorhome w/tag along....if you can find one in your budget...would be a good choice....get one that will tow a decent toad as that will be storage area......ie bikes, boat on top and stuff inside toad....best of luck....some folks say a trailer is more homey than a motorhome in same price range....if we get somewhere and want to sight see, we just rent a good mileage/4 wheel drive car for a week....or day....

restlesswind
Explorer
Explorer
"Backing a MH is easier since the rear of the unit is always visible in the mirrors."
I would not want to back our fith wheel without a spotter,and we have been on the road traveling for nearly 7 years.
'04 33.5 CKQG Hitchhiker Discover America
04.5 Dodge 3500 CTD SRW
Pac Brake,Max Brake
Fulltimers since '06

deleted-2
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Basic guideline
1/2 ton trucks not auitable for fifth wheel towing.
3/4 ton truck suitable for a fiver up to a maximumof 10,000 pounds GVWR
1 ton SRW suitable for fivers up to about 12,000 pounds GVWR
1 ton dually suitable for fivers up to about 16,000 GVWR
Anything heavier you really need more truck.
While there will be a lot of arguments on my numbers they are IMHO a good rule of thumb.
Remember you can never have too much truck, but there sure are a lot of can my truck tow this questions posted on the forums every year.

I wouldn't think of arguing this advice!
A good start in my opinion donn0128.
Weight can be overcome with driver skill also.
Best advice:
Always know the limits drive with 80% confidence and 20% fear...